993 Forum 1995-1998

Installed a set of Dachs Xpipes today

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2009, 04:22 PM
993inNC
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Oh you guys are to kind.....brings a tear to my eye

Okay not really but thanks just the same I've been a little absent from here lately between working the gas business (going well) and my rentals business (not as well) and my little 914 project car, oh and family, I'm worn out......Dave is to, he's been about as busy as he wants to be (and sometimes doesn't want to be ) the last few months. David sorry about the Turbo stuff buddy (refer to last comment - no time). One of these years.......
Thanks for hanging in there.

James, enjoy and when those "other" muffs and tips **** you off enough, call me and we'll get a set of the aforementioned DACH R's going for you and you can fit factory wide ovals to them
Old 10-16-2009, 07:35 PM
V
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Another happy DACH customer here - Great stuff!!

Good to hear that all is well Chris, I was just thinking I havn't seen a lot of you lately..
Old 10-16-2009, 08:35 PM
993inNC
Race Car

hey Vig, how's that Turbo treating you? I am jealous you know?
Man I've been so out of the loop here lately, there's all these new screen names that I don't recognize.....I almost feel like an outsider again
I've been over on 914world.com trying to get crash courses in 914's. Long story, but I bought what I had hoped was going to be a driver, turned out not to be, but looks to be a very worthy resto candidate. I have no affinity to spend right now either with the economy the way it is. All of my day gig money revolves around real estate in one way or another, and I don't I have to tell anyone here what state of being RE is these days. Everyone is giving themselves away, to try and keep doors open, selling cheap etc. Luckily I'm in a no overhead situation, but I still need the income.

I had so intended on having multiple model products by now, we ever started looking into carrying other products, but just no time to dedicate to our little "hobby" business.

Hope all is well with you.
Old 10-16-2009, 08:59 PM
face-ache
Instructor

I think its time for an exhaust sound clip thread..
Old 10-16-2009, 09:01 PM
aminewyork
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by face-ache
I think its time for an exhaust sound clip thread..
I'd 2nd that!
Old 10-16-2009, 09:12 PM
993inNC
Race Car

what thread, there really only is one clip worth hearing

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5baipiffR4M

Old 10-17-2009, 07:43 AM
V
Drifting

Originally Posted by 993inNC
hey Vig, how's that Turbo treating you? I am jealous you know?
Man I've been so out of the loop here lately, there's all these new screen names that I don't recognize.....I almost feel like an outsider again
I've been over on 914world.com trying to get crash courses in 914's. Long story, but I bought what I had hoped was going to be a driver, turned out not to be, but looks to be a very worthy resto candidate. I have no affinity to spend right now either with the economy the way it is. All of my day gig money revolves around real estate in one way or another, and I don't I have to tell anyone here what state of being RE is these days. Everyone is giving themselves away, to try and keep doors open, selling cheap etc. Luckily I'm in a no overhead situation, but I still need the income.

I had so intended on having multiple model products by now, we ever started looking into carrying other products, but just no time to dedicate to our little "hobby" business.

Hope all is well with you.
Turbo's treating me well , stay tuned for separate post tomorrow!

I' glad to hear the gas business is going well! After all, that's what ables you to slide down the slippery slope . Lot's of new users here, all for the better! All the best to you and your family, let's keep in touch! Btw my DACH cat X-Pipes went to "geolab" in France (if you didn't already know).

OP: Sorry for the OT.
Old 10-17-2009, 10:32 AM
993inNC
Race Car

yeah I thought they went to George, hadn't seen him here or heard from him in a good while too. Guess we are all preoccupied.
Old 10-17-2009, 01:37 PM
brucec59
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Just chiming in as another happy DACH customer! Perfect fit, no leaks. I did get new gaskets from the dealer. SOP for any exhaust work on any car, IMHO.
Old 10-17-2009, 05:12 PM
ReinerFink
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default what about the hp?

These look great! ( and I am guessing they sound pretty good too). I remember reading that the 993 cat's were pretty well tuned for max hp and that most crossover tubes (even w/out cats) were actually caused a small drop in power.

What is the list wisdom / dino results for different cat replacments?

-reiner
Old 10-19-2009, 05:28 PM
993inNC
Race Car

You can find independent dyno runs from past customers on our website. They were unprompted by us, and we graciously provided by them to us, for promotional use.
The factory cats are junk (all things being relative), keep in mind that they were early 90's at best, technology and are now how many years old?
You'll find no drop in power with our pipes (either cat or by-pass)
Old 10-19-2009, 07:29 PM
ReinerFink
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Awesome. I assume there is a good sized weight savings between the stock and x-pipes? I'm adding these to my "wish list" ;-)
Old 10-19-2009, 08:21 PM
luvH2O
Track Day

Originally Posted by 993inNC
The factory cats are junk (all things being relative), keep in mind that they were early 90's at best, technology and are now how many years old?
You'll find no drop in power with our pipes (either cat or by-pass)
???
Out of curiousity, what cat material do you use?

Last edited by luvH2O; 10-19-2009 at 10:00 PM. Reason: spelled material wrong. oops.
Old 10-19-2009, 09:09 PM
vincer77
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Hi Chris,

Can you please explain the theory behind the X-pipe? If you were to simply change out the cats, would you see the same (or better) power, i.e. no X ? Seems like the exhaust gases from the two sides of the engine would be cross flowing against each other and causing restriction. I can understand the affect on the sound.
Old 10-19-2009, 10:25 PM
993inNC
Race Car

Awesome. I assume there is a good sized weight savings between the stock and x-pipes? I'm adding these to my "wish list" ;-)

24-26 lbs for the stock cat vs. around 11 pounds for the "X" and 14 lbs for the cat pipe.

Out of curiousity, what cat material do you use?

Its stainless like the rest of the pipe. Please understand we do not manufacture the cat material, we build the pipes (currently) using pre-assembled cats. They are a 200 cell stainless "honeycomb" filter vs. the stock 400 ceramic. The stainless is much more efficient.

Can you please explain the theory behind the X-pipe? If you were to simply change out the cats, would you see the same (or better) power, i.e. no X ? Seems like the exhaust gases from the two sides of the engine would be cross flowing against each other and causing restriction. I can understand the affect on the sound.

To your first question, I would venture to say no. The factory cat pipes are of a small diameter pipe and are a collection chamber to which the exhaust collects and is forced out (not very efficient). As to the "X" it was honestly just a design that offered power in a tight package that works. The firing order (contrary to belief by some here) allows for the exhaust to exist without a massive back up point (and subsequent overly hot spot). It has been tested before, that another mfg's by-pass pipes that pass by one another instead of "X'ing by each other actually lost 7 HP on their car. None of my customers (that have dyno'd) have ever seen power losses, only gains from 8-20 hp(the 20 seems a bit out of whack, a more honest # is between 8-14 hp)

I would, without hesitation encourage you to contact anyone that have bought our pipes. I believe you will get nearly identical responses from them, and that's not something that can be said or be taken lightly

Quick Reply: Installed a set of Dachs Xpipes today