993 Forum 1995-1998

993 won't start: Case #631

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2009, 05:50 PM
mongrelcat
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default 993 won't start: Case #631

So I go to drive this morning, symptoms point to the battery being way - way dead. The gauge cluster was barely illuminated, cabin lights were a dimmed yellow instead of fairly white, etc. No starter clicking, nothing.

So I debate whether to just replace the battery (Optima RedTop) or take it to the shop.

I get a jump and take it to Chris's German in Bellevue. The tech (Jay) worked so fast that I didn't catch all he did to diagnose the problem but after 20 minutes he found the issue. The rear deck lid was not closing properly so the access light was staying on and draining the battery. It has always taken a few deliberate tries to get the rear lid closed, I figured that was "just the way it is." Jay checked the battery first, then used a combo of multimeter settings while consulting a little reference book to determine amp draw spec (car was "under", but just barely,) pulled some fuses and relays, checked for stuck switches on the interior, etc., before finding the culprit.

He adjusted the deck lid latch mechanism, then spent another 10 minutes answering my dumb questions about various idiosyncrasies with the car, checked what I thought was possibly a stuck lifter (nope, in the clear,) and then wouldn't take any $$ until I insisted.

My first time at their shop and I will be returning. Excellent. Hope my little story saves someone the same hassle some day.

Quick Reply: 993 won't start: Case #631