Rennlist Member

Received 506 Likes on 337 Posts
Smile Must gush about service...

I had some problems with "Baby", my 993:
1. Third gear synchro went bad, couldn't get into 3rd gear,
2. The 3M on my car had yellowed and need to be replaced
3. There was a ding on the fiberglass splitter
4. I had some paint chips on the car from 60,000 miles of driving

I took the car to SGS, an acronym for Strasse USA (Porsche Parts), Guys Independent Porsche and Smith Independent Porsche (Used Porsche and Exotic Car Sales. All three entities are located on the Smith Volvo campus in San Luis Obispo, CA.

SGS has incredible resources. If you can think of a Porsche problem you need corrected, they can do it. My tranny was R&R'd and repaired with fresh steel synchros for 3rd 4th and 5th gear and a shift spindle update, the old 3M was stripped off and replaced with new, the little ding on the splitter was repaired and touched up and the chips fixed.

"Baby" is now home recuperating in her trailer. And lucky for me, to top it all off, next Tuesday I am off to FD Motorsports for the installation of a new "Platinum" shifting rod as well as a set of Stage III muffs. And better yet, "Baby" and I are going to the track the following weekend...and trumping all of the above, wifey looks to have a new job that she really loves,damn, I am blessed.

In fact if you can read this, you have vision, you too are blessed. Having a Porsche car, that is a unique blessing...having lots of Rennlist pals, another blessing...I had better stop gushing here I could go on for days.
Old 10-08-2009, 12:40 PM
bart1
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just a related FYI. I had to replace the 3rd gear synchro and hub in my 968 (G50, as well). I called Sunset for parts and you can get the exact same part through Audi for half the price of the Porsche part. It has the same part number stamped on it, it is just referenced differently in thier system.
Old 10-08-2009, 12:51 PM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Smile Good info to...

know on the synchros...I had the brass synchros replace with steel, not quite the same thing. Sunset is great, indeed!
Old 10-09-2009, 01:58 PM
soltino
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Would you recommend Smith for a PPI on a 993?

tino
Old 10-09-2009, 02:34 PM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by soltino
Would you recommend Smith for a PPI on a 993?

tino
Depends on your geography. If one is on the Cali Central Coast, this is the place to go. There are good shops all up and down the coast as you would expect. San Luis Obispo is 1 1/2 north of Santa Barbara, 2 1/2 to 3 hours north of LA.

Quick Reply: Must gush about service...