Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Ducktail Owners - Aftermarket quality?

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2018, 06:40 PM
FLYT993
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 57 Posts

i went with getty, i'm more than pleased.

Old 11-11-2018, 10:36 PM
IHTFP
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 37 Posts

I went with a Gary Stratton tail. The actual tail is really nice. I had him install a brake light in the tail and he did a shoddy job, I was not happy. He won't refund me for the brake light install, says that you can't please everybody.
Old 11-12-2018, 01:41 AM
MrRoboto
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I ended up buying a Getty piece from a fellow rennlister, and to be honest front all the great feedback, I was expecting a better product. It still had a lot of gaps and the finish was faarrrrrr from paint ready. Lucky I had a great body shop work on the tail and it turned out great.
Old 11-12-2018, 02:59 AM
FLYT993
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 57 Posts

...yep, they all require "work", so body the shop is critical.
Old 12-27-2018, 05:42 PM
HeelToe
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Getty. It didn't require much work to get proper fitment and naturally had to be smoothed for paint. I'm very happy with the look.
Old 11-05-2019, 03:29 PM
skl2
Rennlist Member

Received 281 Likes on 146 Posts

resurrecting an old thread here. thinking about going with the getty duck when i upgrade to the euro turbo front bumper. FRP or carbon better options? What are people using for the spoiler grill? Like the screen option that heel toe looks to have above.
Old 11-05-2019, 04:08 PM
samurai_k
Rennlist Member

Received 180 Likes on 124 Posts

I had looked at a few ducks and the stratton one is by far the best. I first looked at a fiberglass one and was not impressed with the seams not lining up with the body panels and would have cost me a few hundred to have a fiberglass shop lay down more fiberglass to make it "right."

The stratton one while more expensive is better because it has a real metal decklid you can flex/bend it to make the duck tail seams perfectly line up with your rear fenders and the engine bay opening as you know there is slight manufacturing inconsistencies with the assembly of our car panels.

Regardless of either one, you will need to spend some hours with filler and blocking or someone to prep it as there will be pin holes and other imperfections as it is a fiberglass piece. All that work, I ended up selling my stratton duck to @gmorat as I changed directions.

As for the grill it is basically the 911 plastic one or your can find a few "outlaw" 911 versions made of metal like this one... https://www.x-faktory.com/store/p1/C...d_Grilles.html
Old 11-05-2019, 06:33 PM
skl2
Rennlist Member

Received 281 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by samurai_k
I had looked at a few ducks and the stratton one is by far the best. I first looked at a fiberglass one and was not impressed with the seams not lining up with the body panels and would have cost me a few hundred to have a fiberglass shop lay down more fiberglass to make it "right."

The stratton one while more expensive is better because it has a real metal decklid you can flex/bend it to make the duck tail seams perfectly line up with your rear fenders and the engine bay opening as you know there is slight manufacturing inconsistencies with the assembly of our car panels.

Regardless of either one, you will need to spend some hours with filler and blocking or someone to prep it as there will be pin holes and other imperfections as it is a fiberglass piece. All that work, I ended up selling my stratton duck to @gmorat as I changed directions.

As for the grill it is basically the 911 plastic one or your can find a few "outlaw" 911 versions made of metal like this one... https://www.x-faktory.com/store/p1/C...d_Grilles.html
Awesome, thanks for the input. Where did you source the Stratton duck?
Old 11-05-2019, 07:46 PM
samurai_k
Rennlist Member

Received 180 Likes on 124 Posts

Gary Stratton himself

carsrustwo@yahoo.com

Quick Reply: Ducktail Owners - Aftermarket quality?