993 Targa shade

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2013, 01:00 PM
RFMASSA
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Tim,

Thank you so much for the info.

It did look to me like the guide rail snapped on, but was concerned about getting into taking apart the wind deflector, but will give it a try. I was going to order all the parts you had suggested prior to my message with the exception of the sliding shoes and torx screws but have added that to my list and all are on order now.

I'll do some studying on the wind deflector before I go at it. I wish there was some detailed views on the deflector, as the diagrams I have are all very fuzzy and small from the manual pages I have.

Fortunately the glass top works fine (so far), so I guess I am lucky in only the shade being a problem.

Thanks again. And thanks to all who have offered suggestions on Targa roofs!

-Ray
Old 09-09-2013, 02:32 PM
Tim, near Boston
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There are some pretty useful pictures here:

http://www.art-restoration.eu/en/tra...tion.php?id=12

Not of the wind deflector itself, but rather the underlying structure once the deflector has been removed.
Old 09-09-2013, 02:37 PM
Tim, near Boston
Rennlist Member

Default A few shots from my car.

You can see the forward attachment point for the gate guide in the 2nd image. IIRC it slides in from behind, possibly with a retaining finger on the receiver.

Hope these help.
Attached Images   

Last edited by Tim, near Boston; 09-09-2013 at 03:58 PM.
Old 09-09-2013, 02:50 PM
Tim, near Boston
Rennlist Member

Other things to consider, from TSB 9703:

1. Replace the pulling guide / slip brackets at the rear edge of the shade, if your car does not have these already. The pulling guides in the photo above are the updated design.

993 562 553 00 - Left, slip bearing bracket
993 562 554 00 - Right, slip bearing bracket
993 562 587 00 - Slip bearing, total of four needed for these brackets, plus 2 or 4 more for the other guides in the midpoints of the shade

2. Increase the tension of the sun shade from 19 to 23 turns. This works just like a window shade, don't let it scare you.

Tim
Old 09-09-2013, 03:22 PM
Tim, near Boston
Rennlist Member

Hey Ray,

One or two other pics you might find useful.

The first is of the sliding guide which attaches to the wind deflector (two brackets, in two places). 993 562 561 00 / 993 562 562 00. New and old "sliding pieces" (993 562 563 00) are shown. The wear is pretty clear.

The second is the blind, the windshield frame, etc. from above. Note there is a black sheet metal trim panel above the shade which has been removed prior to taking this photo. I have never been able to find that part in the parts catalog!

In case it isn't obvious, the interior roof trims are also out of the car, including windshield header trim (999 555 059 01?) and the roof rail trims (993 562 311 / 312 00).

HTH -
Tim
Attached Images   
Old 09-09-2013, 04:19 PM
mgianzero
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Ray,

I have taken the targa top (glass and shade) out many times. I've rebuilt my entire system, including the cables themselves (something you don't want to have to do unless absolutely necessary.)

Yes, you MUST remove the wind deflector and NO you cannot work on the shade with the glass closed - not only does the electronics prevent this, but there is not enough clearance for the shade when the glass is open.

PM me if you like to chat more about it. Perhaps a voice phone conversation will help explain it too.

Marc
Old 09-09-2013, 04:26 PM
FlyingDutchman
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I have issues too. My sunshade is not moving at all, but I hear the track/motor.

I have wind noise from the roof, it whistles from 40mph, I am pretty sure it is from the wind deflector. What is the best course of action?

Arthur
Old 09-10-2013, 01:42 AM
RFMASSA
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mgianzero
Ray,

I have taken the targa top (glass and shade) out many times. I've rebuilt my entire system, including the cables themselves (something you don't want to have to do unless absolutely necessary.)

Yes, you MUST remove the wind deflector and NO you cannot work on the shade with the glass closed - not only does the electronics prevent this, but there is not enough clearance for the shade when the glass is open.

PM me if you like to chat more about it. Perhaps a voice phone conversation will help explain it too.

Marc
Thanks Marc. I really appreciate it. I have to digest this all and study the diagrams. I don't have the parts yet and probably won't get to it for a couple weeks at least.
Old 09-10-2013, 01:56 AM
RFMASSA
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Tim, near Boston

1. Replace the pulling guide / slip brackets at the rear edge of the shade, if your car does not have these already. The pulling guides in the photo above are the updated design.

993 562 587 00 - Slip bearing, total of four needed for these brackets, plus 2 or 4 more for the other guides in the midpoints of the shade

2. Increase the tension of the sun shade from 19 to 23 turns. This works just like a window shade, don't let it scare you.

Tim
Tim,

Thank you so much...again. I am sure this will be very helpful when I attack this. Everything on my Targa roof works OK except the guide rail has a piece broken in the channel so the shade via the pullbow makes a big clunk when it rides over that channel. That may be the reason the slide in the end of the shade cracked -do to stress over the years hitting that broken rail. That is what started all of this.

But I will be replacing other parts as you recommended in a previous post, since I will be in there anyway. Although I did not order yet the new pieces you just suggested, so I may need to get those in before I start this if you think they really need changing. Nothing is currently wrong with the deflector, other than the top in general does rattle a bit.

-Ray
Old 09-10-2013, 02:11 AM
RFMASSA
Rennlist Member

Tim
I have these parts on order already. Thanks. I planned on changing out most parts like the pull bows, and bearings. The slip bearing is what actually broke when operating the shade, so that started this along with a broken piece on the gate rail channel.

The one thing that is not clear is where the slip bearing goes in relation to the slip bracket. Because I removed my slip bracket when it broke and one end of it simply inserted into the end of the shade and the pin of the slip bracket went into the pull bow. And of course the guides of the slip bracket went into the rail where it rides. But I saw nothing of any slip bearing. These are the football shaped pieces that are in the end sections of the shade every so often?

-Ray
Old 09-17-2013, 09:49 AM
Tim, near Boston
Rennlist Member

Ray, sorry for the delay in responding. To answer your question:

These are the football shaped pieces that are in the end sections of the shade every so often?
I believe so, yes.

HTH -
Tim
Old 09-17-2013, 09:32 PM
RFMASSA
Rennlist Member

Ray, sorry for the delay in responding. To answer your question:

I believe so, yes.

HTH -
Tim
No problem, thanks for the reply.

I ordered and received some of the plastic slides (993 562 587 00) and they are rectangular in shape.
I thought these were supposed to be football shaped like the guides along the end of the shade.
They are used in the supporting bow (993 562 553 00) at the ends that ride in the shade track.
Is this a new revision or is there a different part# for the football shaped guides?

Thanks.
Old 09-17-2013, 10:58 PM
VintageRacer477
Racer

As a newbie owner of a Targa, I hope I never need the great advice you guys have been giving. But, it is wonderful to know it is here.

My sincere thanks to all of you for your words and pictures. Love this List!
Old 09-24-2013, 02:48 PM
luckyJ
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Amfab
here are the picts, sorry about the quality I took em in the dark garage. Im wondering if those wire ties are interfering.

Top pict is fully deployed bottom is fully retracted.

What a dumb *** design that requires such a goofy spring to make it work
gents,

in the second picture down....the thing that holds the metal spring to the bracket towards the rear....does anyone have a part # to this please?

I just tried to order one but Sunset has no clue....

thank you
Old 09-25-2013, 01:13 AM
mgianzero
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by avdwaal1
I have issues too. My sunshade is not moving at all, but I hear the track/motor.

I have wind noise from the roof, it whistles from 40mph, I am pretty sure it is from the wind deflector. What is the best course of action?
Arthur
Arthur -
There's a separate motor which moves the shade. The glass top has two motors of its own. They are completely independent of each other.

My guess is either the plastic gear that drives the motor is broken or partially out and the motor is spinning but not turning the cables. OR the gears are not meshing with the cables - worn spot in the cable. I bet money that your problem is the broken or plastic gear popped off. (see my first pic below). Here's the kicker --- Porsche does not sell this part (or I couldn't find it) without selling you another motor. But if you go to Volkswagen-Audi dealership, they will sell you the gear as part number 895-877-899. I bought them for $3.70 a piece!

Originally Posted by RFMASSA
The one thing that is not clear is where the slip bearing goes in relation to the slip bracket. Because I removed my slip bracket when it broke and one end of it simply inserted into the end of the shade and the pin of the slip bracket went into the pull bow.
-Ray
Ray -
The pin of the slip bracket will fit inside the metal track WITHOUT the slip bearing. But the slip bearing ("football-shaped plastic shoe") will snap onto this slip bearing bracket and then go inside the track for a tighter fit and serves as a wearing shoe. (see my 2nd pic - notice one slip bearing is inside of track and second one is not for demonstration purposes.) This EXACT same slip bearing is used for the shade barretts (that's my name for them) if you want another example of how they fit inside a track. I believe there are six of these (three on each side) of shade.

Originally Posted by luckyJ
gents,

in the second picture down....the thing that holds the metal spring to the bracket towards the rear....does anyone have a part # to this please?

I just tried to order one but Sunset has no clue....

thank you
Johnathan -
You will discover that Porsche made several TSB's regarding the targa top during its years of production (and several years after) to upgrade or "improve" upon their design. Unlike Porsche's usual "let's make an expensive part to fix a simple problem" strategy for this scenario, they simply decided to put a very small zip-tie on the end of the plastic glide track which holds the tension spring in place. In ordinary circumstances, this spring does not need additional support. But, with the car's motions with driving and over time, this spring can pop out of it's spot (which is really held in place only by tension and a small groove). Sometimes this zip tie can move (or break), in which case it can snag on things moving past it. Simply buy a very small zip tie and install it in the pre-drilled hole and make sure the locking part does not interfere with anything moving.

Hope this helps. I'll try to follow this thread to see who out there I confused even more!

These targa tops are delicate. But if you keep the tracks clean - DO NOT USE ANY LUBRICANT BESIDES WET SILICONE SPRAY on occasion, and avoid the top from binding on anything, they should work very well. They should not make ANY popping, cracking, or clicking noises when opening either the shade or the glass top. When they do, that usually means they're about break if they haven't already. Also, with a car that's over 15 years old, they are bound to need replacement parts that typically wear over time. Seals, slip bearings, o-rings, all need replacing to keep the tolerances within German specs.
Attached Images    

Quick Reply: 993 Targa shade