Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Electrical 'Whine' through radio - Fixed (Sorta...)

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2009, 12:56 AM
JPP
Nordschleife Master

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts
Default Electrical 'Whine' through radio - Fixed (Sorta...)

O.k., just had a major service done and now I'm getting a high-pitched electrical whine through the audio system that changes in pitch with changes in RPM. Any ideas what would cause that?

Last edited by JPP; 08-22-2009 at 04:24 PM. Reason: Explain fix
Old 08-21-2009, 02:45 AM
kjr914
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Alternator whine.

Can be solved with a ferrite choke on the power wire to the radio/amp most likely, or improved power/gnd connections (independent connection w/o other things on the same power wire). There are chokes that just clamp on the existing wire.

Strange it started after a svc. What was done? Anything electrical?
Old 08-21-2009, 07:05 AM
JPP
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by kjr914
Alternator whine.

Strange it started after a svc. What was done? Anything electrical?
Nothing out of the ordinary, just caps, rotors, plugs. Plug wires were still good. It does have an aftermarket amp mounted in the trunk. Maybe they disturbed something there, but I've never been very careful around it either....

Is this something a stereo shop could diagnose/fix fairly easily? I've got a decent one just down the hill from me that does hi-end installs.
Old 08-21-2009, 10:39 AM
TheOtherEric
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 23 Posts

My bet is something to do with plug wires.

Once I stuck a little cable clamp thingy on a plug wire to try to get an RPM signal for my data logger, and this is exactly what happened. A whine that increased pitch with rpm. As soon as I removed the clamp it disappeared. I was amazed that a little piece of metal surrounding a plug wire could do that but maybe it was collecting charge and causing some sort of ground loop. It didn't pierce the insulation or anything.
Old 08-21-2009, 10:44 AM
TheOtherEric
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 23 Posts

p.s. one thing I've learned when problems like this arise: focus on the things that were worked on. Don't go fussing with your stereo setup in the trunk-- their work was in the engine bay. Probably just a loose plug wire or one that's rubbing against something. Maybe the rotors weren't fully seated.
Old 08-21-2009, 10:54 AM
Texas993
Race Car

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

I had an aftermarket stereo in a former 993. Never solved that darn whine. While I bought that car with the aftermarket stereo installed, I will never go aftermarket in my current car.
Old 08-21-2009, 12:13 PM
JPP
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by TheOtherEric
p.s. one thing I've learned when problems like this arise: focus on the things that were worked on.
I hear ya, it was perfect when I dropped it off on Monday. I'm going to start today with a call back to the shop to look at possible issues. Unfortunately, they are 1.5 hours south of me, so I'll check for loose connections etc. myself and see if there's anything obvious first.
Old 08-21-2009, 12:29 PM
geolab
Rennlist Member

Received 173 Likes on 119 Posts

from your line out to amp, I hope you have RCA's, if so....
strip 1/4 inch from both sides of four electric cables.
Unplug each RCA, introduce a bit of one stripped wire between the male and female plug, and plug the RCA back enough to catch the electric cable by the (-) wall of the RCA cable.
Do this for the four line outs.
Now join the other tips of the four electric wires together, and hook those to the radio chassis.
no more whine
Old 08-21-2009, 01:50 PM
JeffC
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here is an outside shot. During the service, did they have to disconnect a ground wire between the chassis and motor/tranny or even at the battery? A missing or poor ground connection could suddenly cause this issue.

Jeff
Old 08-21-2009, 04:09 PM
jungleboy
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JeffC
Here is an outside shot. During the service, did they have to disconnect a ground wire between the chassis and motor/tranny or even at the battery? A missing or poor ground connection could suddenly cause this issue.

Jeff
That sounds more probable.... Mine has had a similar issue for a while, still trying to hunt it down. Mine happened after a battery replacement.
Old 08-21-2009, 05:05 PM
amfp
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I had the whine only with AM. It was a loose antenna connection to the radio.
Old 08-21-2009, 05:51 PM
TMc993
Rennlist Member

Received 534 Likes on 337 Posts

Originally Posted by JeffC

Jeff
+1...Focus on what your shop worked on..Unplug and replug evey plug wire, evey distributor wire, ground wire etc. Make sure they're all routed properly and secured in their appropriate location. My bet is once you do this, your whine will be gone.

Good luck...

Terry
Old 08-22-2009, 04:33 PM
JPP
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by TMc993
+1...Focus on what your shop worked on..Unplug and replug evey plug wire, evey distributor wire, ground wire etc. Make sure they're all routed properly and secured in their appropriate location. My bet is once you do this, your whine will be gone.

Good luck...

Terry
I called my shop and they said any time you mess with plug wires, if there's an aftermarket stereo/amp involved there's a chance for RF whine from the alternator...
O.k., so I jacked the car up, pulled off the engine cover (yes, I know, I know) and redid the plug connections that I could reach. Did the same from the top to the caps and coils. Started the car, turned on the radio, and voila! BIG IMPROVEMENT! .... however, I still can hear a slight high-pitched whine on some FM stations which I think was there before the service, it's just now I'm paying really close attention to it so it's more noticeable. I stopped at a local stereo install place and the guy said it could be a ground problem so I made an appointment to have them look at it Monday, so I guess more will be revealed....
Thanks all for your input, really appreciate the help.
Old 09-14-2016, 11:26 AM
Babakazoo
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Sorry for double posting - my Solution to the "acceleration whine"

Wiiiiiii .... wiiiiiiii ..... I took my car to get cleaned and they simply unplugged my RCA FILTER. It was like for months until the whine became too much. I looked under the passenger seat, and simply plugged the cable in.

Done fixed. Hope this helps.

Old 09-15-2016, 05:14 PM
goldcountryboy
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's always frustrating when something is wrong with your car after taking it to a shop for repairs. Mine came back with no sound from the speakers. After doing a search on this site I discovered that I have an amp under the passenger seat. It was unplugged.

Quick Reply: Electrical 'Whine' through radio - Fixed (Sorta...)