Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Thoughts of taking my 993 out of hibernation....

Old 08-17-2009, 06:24 PM
ceboyd
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thoughts of taking my 993 out of hibernation....

Hi everyone...

I haven't been around here much (mostly I guess because I've left my 993 in storage while I've been concentrating on my spec miata and getting into w2w racing since early last year when I got my comp license).

BUT last weekend my miata motor died in a race with NASA. My spec miata has been a spec miata since 2000 and I guess the engine finally quit after 75k miles. The good news is I didnt' try to keep driving with the blue smoke so I saved the block and just have to hone and rebuild with new pistons (only $46 per piston from Mazdaspeed reminds me of why I retired my 993 from track duty).

Anyway, I've learned so much from driving my spec miata low hp car that it has me wondering how much better I could do now in my 993 (because I had a lot of bad habits to unlearn). I still have a viable race suspension installed and corrected the leaky valvecover problem on my 993 but I honestly haven't driven it since last year taking it for emissions testing ONLY and then taking it off insurance and storing it.

I don't even have track tires any more much less race seats in the car so it just won't be the same but with the miata down until engine is rebuilt (waiting on parts order right now) I have a 3 day weekend coming up and keep have bad thoughts about taking my 993 back out.

I knew eventually I'd want to go for a DE again in a 993 but I didn't think it would be mine much less the desire this soon.

Darn 993.. you can hide it away but it just calls to you even while in storage!
Old 08-17-2009, 11:06 PM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Why? I did the SM/street 993/Radical dance on a private track day weekend before last, then I used the 993 for the BMW school the little bit I drove while instructing. They're just cars. Funny how the lap times at Thunderhill are basically the same between the C4S and SM. How you arrive at that same lap time is quite different!
Old 08-18-2009, 12:23 AM
csertich
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Heck, you've done it once with the 993. Get out there again with your new skills!

Be safe.

chuck
Old 08-18-2009, 12:56 AM
ceboyd
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by race911
Why? I did the SM/street 993/Radical dance on a private track day weekend before last, then I used the 993 for the BMW school the little bit I drove while instructing. They're just cars. Funny how the lap times at Thunderhill are basically the same between the C4S and SM. How you arrive at that same lap time is quite different!
It would indeed be fun to look at traqmate data from the miata vs. the 993.. but for now a friend is letting my husband use his miata and I'll drive my husbands time trial race car (a 95 g20).. Its been a while since I drove that car at the track anyway.

The 993 can sit in storage for a bit longer I guess (maybe next month I'll bring it out for a romp on a DE day though.. we'll see)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Thoughts of taking my 993 out of hibernation....