Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Monterey '09 photo thread: Laguna, Pebble, Quail, etc

Old 08-12-2009, 12:59 AM
RJT
Lifetime Member

Received 312 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by curve lover
Radio delete panel (a result of the 15" subs not fitting in the doors, of course).
Marcus B's carbon fiber version...

Who needs a radio? It's never on anyway. The music the engine makes is music enough for me

Speaking of Sound. I think this Porsche Elva was the loudest car there..... by far:

Old 08-12-2009, 01:04 AM
the_buch
Rennlist Member

Received 82 Likes on 67 Posts

What a super thread ... thanks for sharing ... this is an event that's going on the bucket list!!
Old 08-12-2009, 01:13 AM
bbs993tt
Rennlist Member

Received 337 Likes on 177 Posts

Brian-- Any chance you're out in Cali now? Just saw an F. Yellow CGT driving away at the Carmel Concours.

Since we passed each other on the road at last month's CO PCA Parade, it would be swell to see you & your ride here, too.

-------------------[Edit: time passes....]------------------------------------------

Hmmm.
Now that I've reviewed the evidence from Speedy's dash-cam, gotta ask:
Any chance you're a blonde chica???...

Hey Curve,

Sorry, neither a blond or a chica. Wish I was there but my wife and I kinda spent my "car time" budget in Colorado - kids wouldn't be too pleased if we disappeared for another week! We'll meet someday, probably back in CO.

By the way, word is there's a white CGT roaming round the peninsula. White was actually my first choice when I was shopping. If you see it could you snap some pics? Have fun!

p.s. - Have I ever told you I love your car?
Old 08-12-2009, 01:15 AM
curve lover
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Editor's note: Fun ... 'dueling' photo thread with RJT.
Originally Posted by RJT
Me? I don't care as long as it has a Porsche Crest on it and is not another Cayenne.
Jo-- On the short drive to Carmel, I passed a black Panamera going the opposite direction (AWAY from the Concours). Howzabout that in your garage?

Also saw Ferraris, Bentleys, but - gasp - no 993s 'til finally seeing Schmidtwerk's museum-specimen RS.

This is still the only 993 I've seen in the wild, in Monterey.
Here she is, just 30' away from that R Gruppe Classic ... patiently waiting outside the 'velvet rope.'
As I saddled her up at the show's end, a tow truck lady slowly drove past, saying she was about to tow her. Ooh, too exciting. Beach city dangers -- who knew?
(I always figured RLer Cactus would get hauled off before Speedy, anyway. So she's safe ... til the weekend?)

Last edited by curve lover; 08-17-2009 at 09:36 PM. Reason: typo
Old 08-12-2009, 01:33 AM
curve lover
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by MarkD
great pix so far...
I love that shot in Post 8, Jager
Originally Posted by the_buch
What a super thread ... thanks for sharing ... this is an event that's going on the bucket list!!
Glad yer enjoing the show. Best thing: thanks to RJT putting the Carmel Concours on the RL radar, & snapping photos, what you've seen is only from day 1 of ~5-day event, with the potential of ~5 different venues that might be covered by the RL roving reporters. Frankly, Carmel's show is likely the least-significant of those this week. Stay tuned for much more...
Originally Posted by bbs993tt
Hey Curve,

Sorry, neither a blond or a chica. Wish I was
What??? You should be sorry for not being a blonde or a chica. Muy disappointing, hombre.

We'll meet someday, probably back in CO.

By the way, word is there's a white CGT roaming round the peninsula. White was actually my first choice when I was shopping. If you see it could you snap some pics?
Word.
I'm on the case. Any excuse for Porsche pix is a'ite wit me.
Have I ever told you I love your car?
Yes, yes, but never too much. She misses you ... she knows I think highly of your CGT, 993T, & the stable-mates we saw y'all running with in Keystone.
Old 08-12-2009, 01:43 AM
RJT
Lifetime Member

Editor's note: Fun ... 'dueling' photo thread with RJT.Jo-- On the short drive to Carmel, I passed a black Panamera going the opposite direction (AWAY from the Concours). Howzabout that in your garage?
There are 33 Panamera's in town, at least that is what we were told last Saturday by a PCNA dude.... that we know....
We also saw a black Panamera on the way into town on Hwy 1. Personally we both think it looked like a Cayenne that's been stepped on by the jolly green giant. Sorta squished.

Nope, no more new Porsche's for us. We'll stick to the oldies but goodies for now own. The new ones just are missing something , at least to us. The leather just smells different and the sound just isn't the same. They are too comfortable and cushy. Almost like they have no soul. Like they sold it to the devil or something......

Here is another Oldie but Goodie. The real deal and not a tribute car:

Old 08-12-2009, 02:22 AM
curve lover
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

This is still the only 993 I've seen in the wild, in Monterey.
Here she is, just 30' away from that R Gruppe Classic ... patiently waiting outside the 'velvet rope.'
As I saddled her up at the show's end, a tow truck lady slowly drove past, saying she was about to tow her.
Other red ladies kicked to the curb like common, uh, commoners during the show...

Captured by the Speedy-cam:

Old 08-12-2009, 02:37 AM
curve lover
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

RoJoT-- Very well-written sentiments about the Panamera. +1.
I was at the US debut, & one of the 1st at the PCA Parade banquet last month to see it up close, get my hands on it, sit in it. But.
As much deference for the past & hope for the future that I have for the factory, IMHO, I'm not too enthralled about the spirit of their recent productions, ever since the 996. Now, if they just had a new a new Speedster that was worthy, of, say the inspired curves of a 993... hmmmm...

I rarely see a Porsche from a distance that I mistake for a 993. Ironically, this 996 C4S initially fooled me, because of the continuing red rear horizontal valence... shame on you! Repeat after me: "I'm a poseur that wants to look like a 993."

Kinda kidding. It's a wee bit of a glimmer of hope, when you see some 993 design cues ehoed in the factory's more modern offerings. A glimmer of hope amongst many coachwork foibles.

Bonus points to those sharp eyes that spy a red Speedster in the background. She was penned in, but rescued when the tow truck lady took care of those pesky problems...

Old 08-12-2009, 03:25 AM
curve lover
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

As relayed to JoAnne, IIRC, this one of the absolute first Volkswagens ever made!

Last edited by curve lover; 08-12-2009 at 11:12 PM.
Old 08-12-2009, 04:19 AM
David in LA
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Jager - Are you using a car mounted cam?
Old 08-12-2009, 12:41 PM
DesignerGenes
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm with hoggel. If you pass through Salt Lake call me too, and I'll buy both of you lunch!
Old 08-12-2009, 12:44 PM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

So that Carrera GT is Cheryl Dunkel's? Have not seen her in years!

RSA is ready to go, bike rack installed and all.......... Probably just park it and pedal around town the way things get so congested.

I'll see what I can contribute, probably all race cars come Friday.
Old 08-12-2009, 01:44 PM
timothymoffat
Rennlist Member

Received 979 Likes on 433 Posts

[QUOTE=curve lover;6807751]

Originally Posted by RJT

Old 08-12-2009, 02:07 PM
RJT
Lifetime Member

Originally Posted by race911
So that Carrera GT is Cheryl Dunkel's? Have not seen her in years!

Yup Cheryl in the flesh They are camping at the track in the biggest, baddest Motorhome up on the hill. You will not be able to miss her, or her her laughing. I swear she is the happiest female I have ever met. She said Peter was racing the 550. I didn't ask if she were racing her Carrera GT this year or not. They were not showing a car in the Concours yesterday and we just ran into her by the Porsche Glockler. Where else?
Old 08-12-2009, 03:07 PM
dcdude
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

To those local, please post here or PM me if you're interested in meeting RLers Sat PM @ Tarpy's Roadhouse Sat PM. Should be perfect to check out the p-cars in the p-king lot, meet folks, grab grub & brews.
I have a reservation for ten folks for dinner @ 7:15 PM. Under my name, Jäger. Patio open if you get there early.Tarpy's Roadhouse; 831-647-1444; 2999 Monterey Salinas Hwy; Monterey, CA 939405 minutes from track to cold brews. Who's interested?
Any more spaces at your table? Will it be on the patio? PM sent.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Monterey '09 photo thread: Laguna, Pebble, Quail, etc