Help with parking brake adjustment

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2009, 09:53 PM
crossroads
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Help with parking brake adjustment

Hey guys,
I have '96 993 and my parking brake needed adjusting. It wouldn't hold until the 5th or 6th click. I followed the instuctions in the manual but when I got to the part where I pull up on the brake 2 clicks and tighten the adjuster nut, I run out of threads for the nut. In other words, I can't get the parking brake cables tight enough to stop the wheels from turning. Does this mean I may need new cables or can I put a couple of washers in front of the adjusting nut to give it some length. Any thoughts are appreciated.
Thanks, Bob
Old 07-02-2009, 10:01 PM
ppressle
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Possibly need new parking brake shoes? Pull your rear disks and give em a look.
Old 07-03-2009, 01:25 AM
Raptor
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Problem

Be sure that the "nipple" (#25) is in front of the adjusting nut (#26). Probably it is, but it will change the dynamic if it dropped down sometime when the lever was removed. (graphic below)

http://dcauto.gotdns.com/illustration/index/858597570
Old 07-03-2009, 05:41 AM
Garth S
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

When you followed the WSM instructions, after backing off the adjuster at the lever to give the cables slack, did the adjuster at the drum/disc move enough to lock up hub rotation?
If so, back off a click or two on that adjuster, pull up the handbrake 2 clicks & tighten the cable adjuster.
Old 07-04-2009, 10:56 AM
crossroads
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Thanks for the suggestions. In response, Raptor - yes, the "nipple" #25 is still there; Garth S - the hubs did lock up with the adjuster at the drum/disc after I loosened the cables. However, after I backed off on this adjuster and pulled up on the handbrake 2 clicks, I couldn't get the cables tight enough to lock up the hubs. Ppressle - I will check the parking brake shoes next.
Thanks, Bob
Old 07-04-2009, 06:57 PM
Garth S
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by crossroads
Thanks for the suggestions. In response, Raptor - yes, the "nipple" #25 is still there; Garth S - the hubs did lock up with the adjuster at the drum/disc after I loosened the cables. However, after I backed off on this adjuster and pulled up on the handbrake 2 clicks, I couldn't get the cables tight enough to lock up the hubs. Ppressle - I will check the parking brake shoes next.
Thanks, Bob
Valiant try ... ( you - not me ) .... perhaps if a 1/2" or so spacer were cut from a piece of 3/8" pipe and placed behind the nut, it would effectively lenghten the threaded zone for adjustment?

Quick Reply: Help with parking brake adjustment