Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Front license placement

Originally Posted by KraZy007
Wow that is very cool. Nice job!!
Jimmy-- Thanks! More details from smart man Mike:

Originally Posted by goofballdeluxe
love your front license plate placement. Was this a DIY job? If so, how did you do it? Thanks. Your car looks terrific.
Originally Posted by Mike J
i am not sure if its legal but....

I cut off the top and bottom of the plate so its slightly smaller than the opening on the Turbo bumper. I figured if the plate was right in the center the air flow would not change too much...the big holes on each side are right in front of the coolers. I took some 1/4 clear tubing, formed a slit down one side and used it on the top and bottom cut edges of the plate to protect the paint. Two zap straps and **viola** a visible/non visible plate. I like it a lot since, when you are standing by the car, you cannot see a plate.

I noticed that, on the earlier 911's, the plate is quite inclined and under the front bumper anyways so I figure this is no worse. I have not had a conversation with an officer yet to tell you. ...no regrets yet!
Originally Posted by BobbyT
I really like the license plate location. Can you give us details on how it is mounted?
Originally Posted by Mike J
Pretty simple...I just cut the top and bottom of the licence plate so its just slightly smaller than the width of the opening in the bumper. I use a grinder to round off the cut edge so its not a safety hazard.

I then take some 1/4" clear tubing, slice it on one side lengthwise, and cut off two pieces the width of the plate. Once piece is run along the top edge of the plate, the other on the bottom to protect the paint from scratchs. You run it by inserting the edge of the plate into the cut slot of the tubing, so the tubing acts as a cover for the cut edge. I then ziploc the plate to the grill in the bumper. Easy as pie!

I like the way it keeps the license plate off the nose of the bumper. Much cleaner.
Old 07-13-2009, 03:17 AM
blake
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I don't cruise the 993 board that often, and am sorry that I missed this thread!

Beautiful car! Great job with the conversion. I'd really like to hear the story how you landed 964 Speedster seats...

Enjoy it!

-Blake
Old 07-14-2009, 12:05 AM
bbs993tt
Rennlist Member

Received 338 Likes on 178 Posts

Originally Posted by curve lover
Brian-- Means a lot from you, especially with your taste in P-cars

Couldn't help but notice your F. Yellow CGT leading great-looking exotics for a tour, to include that Aston Martin. Was busy drooling both times we crossed paths, or would have waved earlier!

Hey Curve,

Thanks for the compliments. We did lots of driving and had a great time in CO - except for the speeding ticket I got. The Aston and Ariel Atom belong to a buddy of mine.

I first saw your car at Concours and admired it for a long time. It's so well done that it had me trying to remember if the Factory did a 993 Speedster or not. The attention to detail you obviously put into it has certainly paid off.

Congratulations and I hope to see it again someday.
Old 07-14-2009, 12:20 AM
nr1416
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks AWESOME and thanks for posting those incredible pics!!!
Old 07-14-2009, 12:37 AM
TURBO-951
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

+1

Old 07-14-2009, 12:45 AM
TargaMatt
Instructor

I agree with someone who said this is one of the best looking p-cars they've ever seen!! I'm in love, congratulations. I can't imagine how excited you must be!
Old 07-14-2009, 01:24 AM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 98 Likes on 50 Posts

Absolutely stunning -- how in the heck did I miss this thread? Probably busy changing diapers

Wow!! Big congrats!! I am confused -- you recently were overseas looking at a few examples, now you have one done here stateside?

Awesome!!
Old 07-14-2009, 01:56 AM
niche
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Wow!
Old 07-14-2009, 02:18 AM
curve lover
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by blake
I don't cruise the 993 board that often, and am sorry that I missed this thread!

Beautiful car! Great job with the conversion.
Blake-- Glad you cruised by.
At the recent PCA Parade, some of my most enjoyable conversations were with enthusiastic 964 Speedster owners. A few said they returned to my 993 repeatedly, lurking & hoping to run into the unknown owner. Their curiousity & zeal were palpable.

It's humbling to get heartfelt compliments from those like yourself with factory 911 Speedsters. At Keystone, CO, your peers generously praised the quality of this conversion & its aesthetics. The incredibly warm reception was a pleasant surprise, especially from those with the most similar model to my '95, the rare '94 Speedsters. Many Porsche enthusiasts (myself included) can be understandably skeptical of large deviations from OEM. Instead, she was greeted with acceptance & appreciation. Her whole Keystone 'debut' was an amazingly enjoyable experience.

As mentioned pages back: soon after I pulled into my randomly-assigned golf course display spot, the POC of the most prestigious display area drove over, directing me to move up to his exclusive level, Porsche's limited-production showcase. Of the highest PCA echelons & experience, he countered what his eyes saw with logic in his next question, caveating that if I confirmed it was factory-direct, I could move up. ... He can 'hurt my feelings' with indirect praise like that any day.

One of the most common comments: "This is the Porsche the factory should have put into production!"

Last edited by curve lover; 07-14-2009 at 09:06 PM.
Old 07-14-2009, 02:24 AM
curve lover
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by blake
I'd really like to hear the story how you landed 964 Speedster seats...

Enjoy it!

-Blake
I got the 964 OEM sport bucket Speedster seats from eBay, then recovered them. They retain the "Recaro" stamped leather on the back of the headrest.

IIRC, previous owner had both the OEM comfort & sport seats for his 911 Speedster, & eventually decided to sell the buckets.

Although there were a fair # of challenges during this build, the seats are an example of me stumbling upon one of many critical components at the right time.

Although I'd searched out numerous photos on-line (& summarily drained my drool ducts), I'd never seen any in person, nor sat in them before they arrived.
Ironic -- day before I took delivery of the finished Speedster, my shop had the first I personally witnessed ... in a GT1!!!

For some reason, they didn't buy my story of needing a test-drive to experience the seats.

Regardless, I scored fo' sho' -- seats fit perfect.

Old 07-14-2009, 02:31 AM
Cupcar#12
Addict
Rennlist Member

very nice conversion - your right they should have done this from the factory.
IMHO
Old 07-14-2009, 09:58 AM
V
Drifting

WOW Curve, the seats look awesome! Were they leather initially? Did you recover the whole seat? Is it all black? That side shot is just STUNNING! WOW! droooooool
Old 07-14-2009, 11:00 AM
BSL
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by curve lover
Besides his web site, Mike's been an inspiration in another area critical for those of us making an effort to be legal...My state requires a front plate, so I've studied Mike J's repeatedly. Instead of cutting edges, I folded, then covered with clearbra. [Caveat: possible that bottom should ideally be >12 inches above ground, & face shouldn't be angled. ...Add that to your endless mod list.]

Regarding air flow, no negative aspect, IMHO. IIRC, neither oil cooler nor A/C compressor are impacted in the center.
Thanks for an attractive option, Mike!
Thanks much! I was looking closely at the car over the weekend, and bending the plate answers the big question.

Again, your car is absolutely gorgeous! Thanks for sharing.
Old 07-15-2009, 04:51 AM
curve lover
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Default RL, FTW!

All y'all may have seen my 'big reveal' coming a long time ago. Regardless, maybe entertain my momentary illusion here of thinking it was a bit of a surprise...

Kudos to the following Rennlisters, & more whom I've forgotten or errantly omitted:

The perfect confidants as it neared completion...
- Allill, my sounding board for first-hand cabriolet widebody conversion experience. He can only imagine how many times I've read his "WIDEBODY 993 S CAB... does my *** look fat?" thread.
He was incredibly good at keeping this secret, as he'll gladly tell you.
[BTW, the man's engaged, so lift 'em high for Jeff: may he always have a Porsche in the garage, & may it be their only fat ***! ]
- Arena993 & Cactus, for their contagious enthusiasm, exceptional eye(s) for fit & finish, & especially Mike's experience at crafting incredible, custom cabs.

-------------------------------------------------------------
The innocent, who may be caught unaware at seeing their name below...
Adrian Streather, whom I can't say enough good about. After bugging him incessantly for every 993 & Speedster detail, he still sent me a Christmas card. ...then I screwed up getting to meet him in person when I drove through Switzerland.

Porschemeister, whom I consulted on some hard-to-find parts, & served as inspiration with his custom US DOT-compliant GT2, & its Excellence magazine feature.

Vhanzon, for his influence on finishing the interior, & ongoing overseas dialogue.
Boston911fan, I blame you for part of my Speedster sickness.
DavidinLA, & his uncanny ability to bring clarity to details my subconscious has been mulling over. Case in point: since inception of my Speedster concept, I've been obsessed with possibly showcasing modern Fuchs on it; long before I read his similar idea. Scroll up to his last post, & you'll see just 1 reason why I admire his helpful insight. Often on a similar wavelength.
I used to think I was 993 detail-oriented, 'til he amazed by pointing out that a Speedster could be the only 993 with parallel side-view mirrors. I must bow to the master of attention to cab details!

RJT, who helped get me in touch with Jerry Seinfeld's car broker, Sam Cabiglio. Sam gave me general advice, fueled my motivation, & confirmed Jerry's factory-direct 993 Speedster is still owned by Seinfeld, despite what the following implies:

Last edited by curve lover; 09-25-2012 at 12:38 AM. Reason: fix ded pic lnk
Old 07-15-2009, 04:52 AM
curve lover
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Default RL, FTW!

... unfortunately, I learned that we won't see Jerry's Speedster next month in Monterey. (In my self-delusion, there's still a chance!)

FTW: all of Rennlist, for many morsels of 993 enlightment & entertainment through the years.

You led me to Germany's Marcus Buehler, who, at my insistence, not only put the "Speedster" logo on the proper dash panel, but designed his first-ever factory-correct "AIRBAG" logo for me.

For those I still owe photographs: poor Marcus has yet to see any installed proof of his work, even though he sends entertaining e-mails almost every day, begging for pix. He's a great sport. He says a 993 Speedster's his ultimate, & that's from a fellow with a GT3RS!

A humorous self-portrait of the carbon fiber genius, his custom chair & helmet, & the 911 that just happens to match their CF...

Last edited by curve lover; 12-27-2009 at 08:36 PM. Reason: typo

Quick Reply: Rennlist/ PCA member's 993 SPEEDSTER