Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Transmission mount insert

Old 10-13-2018, 10:50 AM
Sagres74
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Transmission mount insert

Will be replacing the motor mounts on my 96C2 and figured the transmission mount is likely in bad shape as well (haven't confirm condition). In researching the topic, I learned that the transmission mount on a C2 can't be replaced without removing the transmission, something most do when replacing the clutch. Since my clutch is fine, I found this interesting interim solution - transmission mount insert. Has anyone installed this? Results?

http://www.function-first.com/produc...s-mount-insert

Thx!
Old 10-13-2018, 11:42 AM
pp000830
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,444 Likes on 1,017 Posts

Is there a functional reason why you are changing the mounts?
If not consider just replacing the motor mounts.
Andy
Old 10-13-2018, 01:00 PM
chsu74
Rennlist Member

Received 311 Likes on 259 Posts

The insert and RS motor mount will tighten the feel of car for sure. Especially shift feel.
Old 10-14-2018, 09:56 PM
jibmaster1
Rennlist Member

Received 60 Likes on 29 Posts

1. Try FD motorsports or Rennline as a source for the actual mount. The issue is getting the old one out when the transmission is in the car. I just did this when had the tranny out to I do a clutch job. It was a PITA getting the factory one out with the thing out of the car. This would be near impossible if not purely torture in the car! I honestly would wait until you need a new clutch. Is the mount showing cracks? You can lift the rubber 'covers'-if still in place over the side of the mount. Visually inspect to see if there are obvious cracks of the mount. In retrospect the factory one I took out wasn't exactly in perfect shape; however, since "I was in there" I just went ahead and installed a HD version from Rennline. It could have gone a few more years thought. What was also failing; and had a lot of flex was when I removed it, was the lower carrier mount that bolts to rear tranny brace. That was definitely worn out and had a lot of flex. I found this:
​​​​​​https://powerflexusa.com/porsche9649...xoC3jQQAvD_BwE

It was easier to cut the small, outside metal sleeve and air chisel the thing out and lightly press in the new poly bushing. You could just try this approach and see how that improves on the flex if this is what you think is happening. All these things I mentioned above-including doing a 'refresh/rebuild' of my rubber shift coupling/old crappy designed from the 70's part, improved the shifting feel and smoothness. This is why guys do FD motorsports 'goldenrod' upgrade which is likely happening for me in the next year or two. Wasting your time doing the actual mount until you get the trans out. Seriously don't do it.
Old 10-14-2018, 10:54 PM
Ponchobroke
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 40 Likes on 22 Posts

I have the F1 insert but honestly I can’t remember whether I installed it wit the tranny out or in. But it definitely firms up the tranny mount and is a great addition to the RS motor mounts. The entire power train is solid with no torque movement. Also installed the golden rod as a significant bonus.

Old 10-15-2018, 11:36 AM
chsu74
Rennlist Member

Received 311 Likes on 259 Posts

Stay away from semi solid trans mount unless you want constant "coffee can of bolts rattling" sound in your car gears 2-5 when windows are up.
Old 10-15-2018, 12:04 PM
Top-Gun
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

For those that have a trans mount insert coupled with stiffer motor mounts and a golden rod or equivalent, do you notice increased vibration in shifter?

I recently installed the Powerflex insert in the nose mount, and the complete replacement bushing in the longitudinal mount. I'm running WEVO black motor mounts, and an RS style solid shift rod. At exactly 4000 RPM I get a pretty good vibration in the shifter that causes the **** to rattle driving me nuts. I also notice increased vibration near redline but it's not enough to make the gear **** rattle.

Curious as to others experience with these stiffer mounts.
Old 10-15-2018, 12:58 PM
shadow993
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

I don't have the transmission mounts, but everything else. I don't have any vibration on the shifter.

Maybe it's your car telling you to push harder to open the Varioram😁
Old 10-16-2018, 09:30 PM
Viperbob1
Nordschleife Master

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

RS mount is nice. If you have ANY kind of a shop this can be swapped in about 20 minutes. 10x easier than changing a wheel bearing but principle the same.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Transmission mount insert