Sponsored by:

Cars Trashed at Sheraton

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2009, 04:35 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 244 Likes on 135 Posts

thanks for the many tips on parking. As a Porsche driver for 34 years I have gotten fairly good at sorting out parking spots without being obnoxious. I never would have guessed that they would be watering in the middle of the afternoon,--we're very sensitive to water shortages in SoCal. To make it worse was the over calcified stuff they call 'water.'

Fortunately, it appears that a solution is at hand. The hotel owner is very apologetic and and a Porsche owner himself. He's taking care of the detail work it will take to get these back to the way they were prior to the flooding. Also, more importantly, the staff will be getting an education in dealing with customers.
Old 06-20-2009, 11:48 AM
Allen
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Excellent...where was this guy in the beginning...?
Old 06-21-2009, 02:54 AM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 244 Likes on 135 Posts

Originally Posted by Allen
Excellent...where was this guy in the beginning...?
That was precisely the problem. Had his resident staff just handled it none of this would have happened. Even simply offering us the use of a hose in a shady area with normal water would have done loads to placate the group who were affected. It took escalating to Sheraton Corporation before the owner was formally informed of an issue and once so notified, he's been super at taking responsibility. Chalk it up to bad luck and a very poor desk staff.
Old 06-21-2009, 06:56 AM
jugger911
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I remember voting on this the other day. I voted "it's just water, get over it". However, these pictures were not provided, nor the correct situation explained. I thought it just sprayed the cars with water, as most of them get wet during rain. Your correct, these water-spots are hard to get off. Claying, polishing, etc are needed.

I had a bird crap on my old black Boxster a few years back while at a restaurant during the heat of the day and full sun. I've been detailing cars for years as a hobby, so I can usually get things off of my paint. I never did get that spot totally out, it had eaten into the clear coat while baking in the sun.

If this had happened to me, I'd be PISSED. I would have also parked a little further out than most too.
Old 06-21-2009, 11:08 AM
grwoolf
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As a few others have said, I'd chalk this up to bad luck and move on.

Would I have been upset about it? Yes, but it certainly wouldn't ruin my day. I would have let the hotel manager know about the situation so they have an opportunity to fix it, but that's it. When I was younger, I probably would have raised a stink, pushed the hotel to do something about it, etc. I guess I've mellowed with age. Would I expect the hotel to cover the cost of detailing the car? No way.

Shiat happens. The rest of the world is not worried about waterspots on my car, rock strikes on the highway, or door dings in the mall parking lot. Yes, there are some people out there that do think about these things, but it's just a numbers game. If you drive/park your car long enough, you will eventually get the rock chips, door dings, and other random things like hitting a deer (I've had it happen twice, but not in the 993). I do make an effort to minimize the chance of something happenning by parking far away from others and away from irrigation systems.
Old 06-21-2009, 12:07 PM
atcbi5
Banned

Received 106 Likes on 83 Posts

Not a big deal guys, just a little wet sanding with 60 paper and some turtle wax and you are good to go.

Quick Reply: Cars Trashed at Sheraton