Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Detailing part 1: Just how clean is my paintwork?!? – Clay bar the facts you need to

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2009, 09:25 PM
future
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Detailing part 1: Just how clean is my paintwork?!? – Clay bar the facts you need to

Hi Gent’s as a few will have read I hijacked Mike’s AKA nile13’s thread https://rennlist.com/forums/993-foru...-interior.html

So rather than continue to add to a different topic and the fact that we all like to share our knowledge especially when related to the upkeep of our Porkers (and other cars for that matter), over the next couple of months (yes months) each week I will write a dedicated thread covering EVERY aspect of caring for your car’s visual condition and upkeep. This will cover everything from how to wash a car correctly (yes there is a right and many wrong ways), down to paint restoration (the none re-spray kind) and wax sealants, leather restoration and maintenance, plastics and rubber protection and nourishment, aluminium, steels, titanium and stainless steel maintenance, engine bay plus wheel, tyre and inner fender cleaning etc, hell the list really will go on in a kind of “in the ignition key hole and out of the exhaust”.

Lastly I will cover NANO technologies and how to maintain your car in between waxing (basic car care in between maintenance). NANO may and probably is a new phenomenon to most … we’ll get to that later You will find out just how quickly you can really wash a car thoroughly and I will also cover PTFE, the repeller of brake dust or in other words “1 wipe and spotless wheels”!

Yes this will be biased to the full range of Swissvax for Porsche products but there are also many other great products on the market which all of the techniques I will detail are relevant to. But it is proven fact that none last longer and dollar for dollar, pound for pound, gram for gram you will soon see the false economy in using lesser products – That I promise

So let’s get right down to the first and most relevant question which this first thread will cover “Just how clean is my paintwork?!?”

To most a clean car is one which has just been washed and sits there gleaming in the sunlight, but is it really clean. I ask you to look harder … Yes harder still “Can’t see nothing” you reply. Well just because you can’t see a lot of the dirt and ground in contamination adhering to your cars paintwork doesn’t mean it’s not there!

I ask you would you paint a car without doing all of the correct labour intensive prep work first – Of course you wouldn’t and this is the very same case when it comes to waxing (sealing) your car’s paintwork – everything is in the prep!

A few have commented in other thread’s about why some of these Carnauba rich based waxes on the market are SO expensive – Is it all just marketing hype or is there really something we don’t know about this waxing phenomena which many think only boffins in flat caps who own collections of classis automotive exotica use?

So let’s do a quick test and find out how dirty you beloved car really is! For this all you are going to need is your car, a finger and a piece of cellophane (the clear film from a cigarette packet is ideal) – Now I bet you thinks I’ve really lost the plot

OK I’d like to ask you to gently run you finger along any panel of your cars exterior (along about 15 cm will do in a back and forth very gentle manor). “No can’t see or feel anything” you say!

By this stage some of you will be thinking I must be absolutely barking mad verging on insane, but wait and reserve judgment!

OK so for the models … which one to choice – well as it’s Friday we’ll take the Lamborghini Super Superleggera (it would be rude not to ):

Below - as described above, run your fingers gentle over your cars paintwork (I bet you can't feel much):

OK this time we are going to do the same except we are going to insert our fingers inside the clear wrapper of a cigarette packet:

Hummm – now I got your interest … so there must be something to all this talk about weirdoes in white coats The very white coated lobority mad sientistes which develop these exclusive car care products and the man in focus is no other than Georg Weidmann the CEO of Swissvax or as it’s called in both Switzerland and Germany Swizol (below Georg Weidmann):

So if you didn’t feel any difference then trust me your hands must be made of asbestos or your car is already perfectly cleansed

Basically the clear cellophane wrapper amplifies your touch senses and that horrid grit you just felt is year’s worth of air born imbedded contaminants which we now need to get rid of!

So who has ever heard of the term “Clay Bar” – sounds like the kind of substance you used to make models out of at prep school … we if far from it.

Detailing Clay compound is designed to remove partials and ingrained contamination for your vehicles paint surface. Clay bars come is several different grades but here we are going to deal with Swissvax regular clay (which is yellow).

You can use a clay bar on any painted surface i.e. your bodywork or your painted alloy wheels.

Clay bar is used in conjunction with a lubricant spray and the product for the job specially developed by Swissvax is called “Quick Finish”. Basically you squirt/spray the quick finish onto the paint surface and the gently in a linear motion rub the clay bar along your cars paintwork. You will notice that the clay bar starts to blacken as the contaminants are removed. It is at this point that you can repeat the process with the clear cellophane and if you have removed all contaminants then you will not notice the difference between your finger and using the cellophane

To this effect your paintwork is now completely free and clear of any unwanted particles and we are ready for the next process.

In my “Detailing part 2” I will next talk about paint fluid cleaners. We will cover the removal of light swirl marks, holograms and even heavy faded UV damaged paint touching on the art of machine polishing but this is to be viewed as a last resort as machine polishing removed a thin microscopic layer of your paint surface.

And lastly what thread is worth posting if there is a distinct lack of picture so here are some to compliment the thread – enjoy

Below by business partners old C2 (can post lots more pics and details if interested - the paintwork is factory, never been machine polished and the car had over 200k miles on the clock when he sold it recently):

A few of our cars outside outside the Swissvax factory (Swizol in the Swiss and German name)

It's all in the detail:

This car needs no introduction at $7m USD which now lives with it's new owner in New York:

Best regards,
Mark

Part 2: Paint Fluid Cleaner I will post next week for those interested in our madness
Old 05-15-2009, 09:34 PM
993inNC
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Will be watching with bated breathe My car's paint is in sad shape lately and was just considering taking it to someone to really detail it. I'll hold off to see what you have to say first.

Thanks for taking the time to compose what I'm sure will be long and detailed threads.
Old 05-15-2009, 09:40 PM
future
Banned

Thanks Chris - My inspiration for this thread is purely so we can all learn what the high paid detailers do to our cars so we all can achieve the very same standards of excellence ourselves and use the saved money to enjoy and invest in the very best products we can all afford to do the job right.

I ensure that every topic I cover will be highly informative and detailed in content and pictures – A real step by step DIY approach which will add serious $$$ to your cars value and appeal for future years to come.

You will be amazed at just what kind of poor condition paintwork can be renewed to better than factory new and as our cars are now aging now is the ideal time for us to act.

We all know that factory paint condition is everything and it simply amazes me the amount of cars I see getting repainted when they simply do not need to
Old 05-15-2009, 09:46 PM
993inNC
Race Car

I'll be right here, lets do this
Old 05-15-2009, 09:48 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 496 Likes on 320 Posts

Is that a Califiornia Spyder (never seen one with a hard top)? It's $7,000,000?! Wow!
Old 05-15-2009, 09:51 PM
csertich
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Outstanding. Thank you!
Beautiful Ferrari....
chuck
Old 05-15-2009, 09:53 PM
ironimages
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by 993inNC
+1

I'm a clean freak anyway this will be perfect! But can we do it in day's or week's not months? (as I need to clean my black car every week)

Thanks,

Mark
Old 05-15-2009, 10:34 PM
future
Banned

Thank Chris I promise I will deliver

Is that a Califiornia Spyder (never seen one with a hard top)? It's $7,000,000?! Wow!
Yes Mark that is the very legend, the Ferrari 250 GT Spider California SWB – Honestly mate I felt in complete ore of the car it really was STUNNING beyond words. Apparently is was sold to a Russian from New York and yes the price was a whopping $7,000,000+ but hay if you’ve got it then flaunt it Guess I’ll just have to dream a little more and work harder but this was the most stunning car I have ever seen and that really is something coming from a P-car nut. I’m sure we all remember the crashed red one in the old 80’s movie Ferris Bueller's Day Off:

Here is the updated Free Swissvax kit offer:

iroimages AKA Mark
Dudley AKA Dave
mcpiaseczny AKA Michal
Stealth 993 AKA Mike
HT993 AKA Simon
bart1 AKA Bart
rich c4s AKA Rich
wellcraft290 AKA Robert
C4S_fan AKA Dennis
nile13 AKA Mike
csertich AKA Chuck
gonzilla AKA Mike
MarkD AKA Mark
Arena993 AKA Michael
AlanMac AKA Alan
Falcondrivr AKA Rick
MikeAlwaysWins AKA Mike
Hal AKA Hal
Reddy Kilowatt AKA Jerrod

Last edited by future; 05-15-2009 at 11:02 PM.
Old 05-15-2009, 11:14 PM
jaholmes
Drifting

Originally Posted by Mark in Baltimore

I wish it was red. I would have bought it.
Old 05-15-2009, 11:19 PM
future
Banned

I wish it was red. I would have bought it.
Here is a red one with a hardtop I just found ... hell I'd take any color - what a car

Old 05-15-2009, 11:41 PM
MM993
Instructor

Mark, I look forward to all of your information. I would like to get your thoughts on how to fix bird dropping etched paint.
Old 05-15-2009, 11:46 PM
Black993
Drifting

Great idea. I love detailing my car.

Can you go into a bit more depth on the procedures? When to knead the clay, how many panels before you need more, etc. Some people may not know this information.
Old 05-15-2009, 11:57 PM
bart1
Race Car

I'm tellin' you, future is going for some sort of rennlist MVP award lately!
Old 05-16-2009, 01:02 AM
autobonrun
Rennlist Member

Received 403 Likes on 255 Posts
Default A question

After claying a car, is it necessary to rewash it before you go to the next detailing step? I've been doing a quick rinse and redry to remove the lubricant before polishing; but I'm not sure it's necessary.
Old 05-16-2009, 01:25 AM
AtlJimK
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

I just did this tonight with the Mother's Clay Bar. Seemed quite weird rubbing what amounts to play dough on a wet car. I guess my paint was relatively clean as I generally saw little contaminants. You could feel the bar catching in certain areas. After a few passes the catching would ease. I gave it a coat of wax afterwards and she does look very good.

Photos manana...

Quick Reply: Detailing part 1: Just how clean is my paintwork?!? – Clay bar the facts you need to