Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Detailing part 1: Just how clean is my paintwork?!? – Clay bar the facts you need to

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2010, 11:21 AM
Bouzoukikid
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This seems like an advertisement. There are many good products out there and very importantly, it's how they are used.
A free sample should also be sufficient to do your car at least once.
I never expect anything free from anyone.

Compounding your paint without having a little hands on experience, can do serious damage, however good the explanation of methods involved are.

Sorry. I'm feeling a little cynical today.
Old 08-30-2010, 12:44 PM
gonzilla
Rennlist Member

Received 98 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by cleverliving
as a professional car detailer clay bar detailing is defiantly a time consuming process however it is one process that i feel is very necessary. as specially if you leave your car outside to catch all the unwanted contaminants such as sap. you must also make sure you use a clay bar the correct way otherwise you will be wishing you never heard of a clay bar.
Hey that's great information. Do you know of a place where I can learn more about "clay bar detailing" and possibly even purchase "clay bar detailing" products? I've been looking all over the internet and can't seem to find any.
Old 08-30-2010, 01:49 PM
Falcondrivr
Race Car

Received 70 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Reddy Kilowatt
I was assured by email (at least 3 times) that my samples were on their way. I didn't receive anything. Oh well.
I thought I was the only one that happened to...It would be interesting to see how many actually received a sample. Looks like only 2 from this thread...
Old 08-30-2010, 02:42 PM
bart1
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Falcondrivr
I thought I was the only one that happened to...It would be interesting to see how many actually received a sample. Looks like only 2 from this thread...
I didn't get any samples either. He certainly wasn't required to send any, but I was told I had some coming.

I went with Ultima products from Autopia.
Old 08-30-2010, 08:26 PM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 98 Likes on 50 Posts

Never did receive this sample either.
Old 08-30-2010, 08:47 PM
PNogC2S
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Just curious, did those of you who signed up for the free sample begin receiving other Porsche related ads or mail? (I'm not saying I did, because I did not sign up for the free samples)
Only reason I ask, is that this sounds like a new version of a very old tactic for building mailing lists.

Offer a free product, drawing, raffle, etc... then gather up all the information collected and sell it to advertisers or use it to promote products to the target demographic.
Not accusing anyone of anything here, just wondering .......
Old 08-30-2010, 09:35 PM
future
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I gents

I'm sorry if not everybody received the sample kits ... it got a little out of hand as I received over 200 requests and it transpired that most were from other P-Car owners which meant that I ran out very fast.

I do have more to send so if you still want a sample kit then please PM me again. I'm limited to 25 at the moment so please be honest and confirm you own a 993 otherwise this will cost me a small fortune in time, product and shipping.

P.S. – No this was not marketing BS from my side ... I was helping fellow 993 RL members out. To clarify further we ”Deutsch Nine” are not the authorised distributor for Swissvax products in the US and as such provides little benefit

Sorry if I have mislead or got the hopes up for people – this was far from the intention

Best regards,
Mark

P.S. On a separate note as I’ve not posted here in ages (but read frequently), you may remember that acquired Arnard’s Canadian Silver wrecked 993 C2 last year. After having the car stored for about 8 months due to a ridicules workload, I’ve finally managed to nearly complete the project which will be painting tomorrow in 997 Sport Classic L63A paint. If interested I’ll post a full repair & build thread tomorrow ... here are a few teaser pics for now and my god has this one been a major project :

Old 08-31-2010, 01:54 AM
pcarhombre
Rennlist Member

FWIW, I did receive the sample kit as I believe I posted. I can't believe I was one of the few that did. I usually don't win S**t, not that this was a contest. Anyway to answer the question about other unsolicited mailings etc: zippo!
Old 08-31-2010, 06:52 AM
C4 NLW
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This is going to be great! Looking forward to the next installment
Old 08-31-2010, 07:32 AM
future
Banned

Ok here are a couple of pics from this morning before I start a dedicated thread shortly ... stripes and Ducktail next:

Old 08-31-2010, 08:23 AM
ironimages
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I never got my kit, seems like I have been waiting a year or better.... maybe now for ever???
Old 08-31-2010, 08:53 AM
nskd3
Instructor

Looks like a lot of work! It'll be nice to follow the progress. PM sent.
Old 08-31-2010, 09:29 AM
H.H.Chinn
Drifting

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Most complete car paint protective finish product systems offer a paint cleaning clay as part of their system. The size or amount of clay you recieve for your money varies from brand to brand. Paint cleaning clays all work in pretty much the same way by removing minute embedded paint contaminants when used in conjunction with a liquid spray to keep the clay ball/roll from getting dry. It really doesn't matter who's clay bar you decide to use as they all do essentially the same thing and should be discarded after two or three uses, depending on how frequent you wax the car and how gritty the clay ball starts to get.

I like to lay a large sheet of heavy brown craft paper down below the area that I am clay barring as it seems that the clay will roll out of my hand at least once and down onto the floor or driveway.

Thanks for keeping us posted on your car's progress. It's commendable that you are rebuilding/restoring this 993, keeping it out of a scrap heap and out on the road where it belongs.
Old 08-31-2010, 10:14 AM
future
Banned

Thanks and just about to send PM's to all

On a separate note you can all request the Swissvax printed handbook for free direct here: http://www.swissvax.com/printed-swis...tester-kit.htm

Just been doing the first bit of color sanding and putting back together some parts for when the car arrives back with me tomorrow - should have it fully flatted and machine polished by mid-day:

Doors to look forwards to next
Old 08-31-2010, 11:01 AM
EckFe1
Pro

Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts

I purchased my own clay bar for maybe $ 10,- can't remember but it was cheap. Washed the car, ran the bar across the whole car with water as lube, wax'd and polished it I can't believe the difference it made.
It was a great article. Can't believe how much dirt I got off the paint. Has been flawless for many washes now.
I'm sure there's more that you can do but mine's a drivers car so the stone chips and normal wear and tear comes with it.
I wouldn't wait for a sample.
Ed

Quick Reply: Detailing part 1: Just how clean is my paintwork?!? – Clay bar the facts you need to