Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Detailing part 1: Just how clean is my paintwork?!? – Clay bar the facts you need to

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2009, 07:18 PM
Luus
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is great Count me in!
Old 05-17-2009, 10:07 PM
RallyJon
Weathergirl
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by chris walrod
I'd be interested too in trying out the 'kit' -- my paint needs some serious work as well!
Chris, unless the gentleman is selling miracles, higher mileage and daily driven 993s will certainly have a lower ROI. All the polishing in the world won't fill those damn paint chips and scratches. What a shame you can't just sand down a car 'til the scratch disappears.

Reading the detailing forum, it's easy to get the impression that 90% of the products out there (and 99% of the high-end) are designed to help people who have nearly perfect paint get closer to perfection.

That sad bit of cynicism aside, a clay bar is absolutely terrific, even for tired old cars with tired old paint, and especially for DDs that pick up four seasons of crud.
Old 05-17-2009, 10:22 PM
007DT
Drifting

Received 47 Likes on 25 Posts

Any Suggestions for cars that have decals to be removed. Removal then revival of the pain below?
Old 05-17-2009, 11:30 PM
aribop
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Would love to get in on the test products action if there is room...what information do you need?
Old 05-18-2009, 03:12 AM
jhubs
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LJ993
...so I grabbed a handy towel and dried it off, to my "shock and horror" the towel had a bit of dried paint on it which left unsightly scratches on the hood, one int he shape of a seven and another that resembled a wad of tangled fishing line, ouch!....
IMHO, NEVER use a cotton towel on a Porsche paint finish. Spend a few dollars and buy a dozen or two quality Microfiber towels. Buy a storage tub/bin and keep them just for your Porsche. Use them once and wash and dry them so you always have a good supply on hand. Your car washing mitt should also be Microfiber.

If your car's finish is dull after one day after applying wax, you probably put too much wax on the car. Wash the wax off the car with warm to hot water and liquid dish soap, like Dawn Liquid, dry the car with Microfiber towels. You may have to wash the car 2-3 times if the wax is thick. A product like Mequiar's Scratch-X or similar should help get rid of the fine scratches. If you can't get rid of those fine scratches, take it to a reputable fine car detail shop and let them get the scratches out. After the scratches are gone, apply appropriate products and then a very thin coat of wax and wipe/buff it off with clean, dry Microfiber towels.
YMMV

Last edited by jhubs; 05-18-2009 at 02:19 PM.
Old 05-18-2009, 04:27 AM
mac993
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

VERY COOL. Count me in. PM sent.

Cheers
Old 05-18-2009, 09:11 AM
future
Banned

Hi gents

I have received over 60 requests so have placed an order today for some more tester kits to be sent to me.

I'm out of the office as from today but back this Friday so will ensure that all other requests will be shipped then - I will update all kits sent out on Friday as soon as I return to my desk.

Upon my return I will also answer all open comments and will then post the next detailing thread “Part 2 “

Best regards,
Mark
Old 05-18-2009, 10:20 AM
bart1
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just another huge thumbs up to future. Tremendous offer he is extending here, and some fantastic tech (including detailing) posts.
Old 05-18-2009, 12:37 PM
gonzilla
Rennlist Member

Received 98 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by bart1
Just another huge thumbs up to future. Tremendous offer he is extending here, and some fantastic tech (including detailing) posts.
+1000!!!
Old 06-27-2009, 05:25 AM
951rs
Former Vendor

Hi all

Just to inform you guys, I unfortunately had the address list for the 993 owners kits lying on my office desk for the past three weeks so only got to put the Tester Kits together and send them out last week via Express Mail. Apologies for that delay.

You should get them end of next week.

We have included a small portion of Cleaner Fluid Regular (this does not remove larger scratches as it is non-abrasive), the Cleaner Fluid Medium (which removes scratches) is currently not available as a sample (IIRC it's different formulation does not allow it to be filled in small sample packages) and we have put in a micro tub of Swissvax Saphir, the famous and very popular all-round wax. Plus instructions on how you apply the tester kit on one part of your 993 (wing or door, etc.).

Apologies for the silence from our side, we will add more to this thread later this weekend, this time for the topic waxes and next weekend for the topic wheels. You can certainly look forward to this as I expect most of the information will be new for you.

Should anybody not receive his Tester Kit or has not signed up for one yet, please use the following link below:

http://www.swissvaxporsche.com/mm5/t...re-you-buy.htm
[Please note that we will only ship out to Porsche Owners as Porsche's are what we specialize in]

Please also let me know if there is sufficient interest for 964/993 owners on DIY interior care and restoration techniques?

Best regards

Benjamin
Old 06-27-2009, 08:17 AM
delanobe
Three Wheelin'

Received 218 Likes on 104 Posts

Looking forward to receive this kit and compare it to meguiare's.
Old 06-27-2009, 09:23 AM
ironimages
Three Wheelin'

looking forward to it as well, will it include a sample of Crystal Rock?
Old 06-27-2009, 11:48 AM
patchmark
Advanced

Thanks very much for the generous offer. I am looking forward to trying out the product.
I would also be interested in the interior cleaning post.
Old 06-27-2009, 03:14 PM
sidned
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

This sounds like an excellent offer. Does it extend to us chaps in the UK? If so,I'll PM you my address.
Old 06-28-2009, 12:36 AM
Black993
Drifting

I'd like to see the interior tips. I have a bad spot in my seat that I would like to try to work out.

Quick Reply: Detailing part 1: Just how clean is my paintwork?!? – Clay bar the facts you need to