993 Forum 1995-1998

95 993 third brake light help

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2009, 12:30 AM
95C4VanIsle
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 95 993 third brake light help

I've done a search on pcarworkshop and p-car.com regarding replacing/repairing the third brake light and both of them show the repair on the 96-98 models, not the 95. I have a late model 95 that does not have the basket handle.

I took the car in for an inspection for my first DE later in the month and the third brake light was not working at all and all lights are to be operating normally before I can run the DE. From my searches on the DIY sites I believe I might be able to affect a repair/replacement if needed. My question is how do I get the cover off the TBL. Once the cover is off the repair seems straightforward. In the 96-98's the DIY instructions say to just lift off the cover. Mine is pretty firmly attached to the TBL assembly and I don't want to break it. Movement of the cover seems to move the entire TBL assembly.

And secondarily when looking at the TBL from below (above the engine on the exterior of the car) on the drivers side there appears to be two nozzles that could be a rear window washing system immediately to the left of the left most light in the TBL assembly (picture below). I have found nothing in searching that refers to a rear window washing system, but I do have the rear window wiper. While trying to remove the cover of the TBL I wouldn't want to damage that system as well.

I looked in Adrian's book and searched this site and may have missed it but could there be a single fuse that could be the culprit? If there is I would appreciate any help on identifying the fuse number.

Any help would be appreciated.
Attached Images  
Old 05-05-2009, 11:29 AM
95C4VanIsle
Three Wheelin'

Bump
Old 05-05-2009, 02:51 PM
Raceit
Addict
Rennlist Member

Use http://p-car.com/diy/glass/ that you probably found. It will be the same for you. The TBL cover lifts up, no screws.

What I did to make sure that a broken wire was the problem was to sit in the back seat with a voltmeter. Take the two prongs of the voltmeter and touch them to the two copper tabs on the top of the inside glass right before they disappear into the molding (center). Then have a friend activate the brakes and you should see a charge on the voltmeter. (I think you have to have the ignition key turned before any brake light works.) If you get a voltage reading and the TBL still doesn't work then you have a broken contact as described in the link above. If you don't get a reading then you might have to check fuses and/or the connections for the TBL wiring inside the car.
Old 05-05-2009, 02:58 PM
95C4VanIsle
Three Wheelin'

Thanks Steve. I am at work now and will be out of town for two days. I will try, this weekend, as you suggested and go from there. Really appreciate the help!

Quick Reply: 95 993 third brake light help