Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

question about caliper repaint

Old 04-13-2009, 04:52 PM
roche
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Default question about caliper repaint

i was commenting in a different thread about caliper and rotor hat repaint and i didn't want my questions to hijack the thread so i thought i'd start a new one.

the calipers on my c4s were originally red and the PO had them painted yellow a couple years ago. i don't really mind the yellow, but the shop where he had them painted didn't do the best job-there is some fading and cracking issues when looking at them real close.

since they already have (minimum) 2 coats of paint on them, i'd like to strip them and start fresh. if not having them media blasted, what's the best product to strip off the old paint?

since i'm taking the calipers off to strip and paint, would this be a good time to change the brake fluid? i've haven't done this before to my 993...is it an easy job i can tackle with my shop crew (my 6-year old son and dad)?

i'm also painting the rotor hats when i have the calipers off.

thanks for any input you can give.
Old 04-13-2009, 04:58 PM
2Many Cars
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Can't help much with the painting but I can't imagine you'll be able to strip and paint the calipers without removing them which means you'll probably be flushing the brake lines fully anyway just to get the air out after you reinstall them. While you're at it you might as well do the clutch line too.
Old 04-13-2009, 05:09 PM
RallyJon
Weathergirl
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

The factory caliper paint is incredibly tough stuff. You may find that a chemical stripper or bead blast takes off the yellow but leaves the original finish. Going down to bare aluminum and refinishing will probably cost more than buying new or used calipers outright.
Old 04-13-2009, 05:24 PM
roche
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by RallyJon
The factory caliper paint is incredibly tough stuff. You may find that a chemical stripper or bead blast takes off the yellow but leaves the original finish. Going down to bare aluminum and refinishing will probably cost more than buying new or used calipers outright.
so just sanding them down to make the paint adhere would be my best bet?
Old 04-13-2009, 05:41 PM
Arena993
Race Car

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I have my powder coater media blast and coat all 4 of my calipers for 275.00. It is not that big of a deal to do. I have done it on 3 cars. You do have to remove the calipers and contrary to to popular belief you do not have to remove the seals or pistons. the bake temp. is. lower than the high range of what the calipers can take. Powder coating is a better application IMHO. Here are mine done in yellow (the decals have yet to be applied).

Mike

Last edited by Arena993; 12-21-2012 at 06:50 PM.
Old 04-13-2009, 05:49 PM
Black993
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just did mine this past weekend. Mine were originally black and the clear was cracking and peeling. I took a wire brush to them, then some 400 grit, 600 grit, and then used the G2 epoxy from TireRack. They came out great!
Old 04-13-2009, 05:54 PM
roche
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Black993
Just did mine this past weekend. Mine were originally black and the clear was cracking and peeling. I took a wire brush to them, then some 400 grit, 600 grit, and then used the G2 epoxy from TireRack. They came out great!
you know you can't complete a project without pics!!! let's see 'em...
Old 04-13-2009, 06:01 PM
sdcabrio
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Black993
Any pics? Did you go with a color or did you stay black? I have a little bit of clear peeling on my front left and I am toying with going to red (don't think it will look as cool as it could 'cause the car is red).

To address the original post questions, I would go the G2 from Tirerack route. I have used the G2 stuff on other cars with great results. You and your "crew" could clean, scrub and sand the calipers and then re-paint 'em.
Old 04-14-2009, 04:01 PM
Black993
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Busted. I didnt provide pics

Sorry, the picture is terrible and from my blackberry. They were black originally and are now red. Again, I used the G2. It looks like an absolute failure when you put the first coat on. I had read this and was still sweating when I saw what it looked like on coat 1. This is 3 coats, could've done more but I felt this was plenty. Was worried originally that I wouldn't have enough because its such a small can but I had lots left over (could have done another 4 calipers probably). I did not remove them from the car so the backs are not done,but the outer facing surface and the tops and as much as I could reach were painted.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: question about caliper repaint