Speedster type 993 photo thread

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2009, 11:31 AM
curve lover
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Exclamation 1st Guards Red 993 Speedster I've ever seen

More details here: Rennlist/ PCA member's 993 SPEEDSTER.

Recommend posting your replies on that thread. I'll be back to posting other Speedster examples here later. (Late for Keystone, CO PCA Parade, where you can see her in person!)

Last edited by curve lover; 05-14-2012 at 02:32 AM.
Old 07-31-2009, 08:20 PM
grahampeterm
Racer

Received 28 Likes on 9 Posts

Not quite ready to post the pictures yet - but there will be Fountain Blue WB 993 Speedster appearing soon
G
Old 08-01-2009, 02:48 PM
timothymoffat
Rennlist Member

Received 979 Likes on 433 Posts

Originally Posted by grahampeterm
Not quite ready to post the pictures yet - but there will be Fountain Blue WB 993 Speedster appearing soon
G
Old 08-01-2009, 03:24 PM
Cactus
Noodle Jr.
Rennlist Member

Received 207 Likes on 133 Posts

Originally Posted by timothymoffat
....off to the lottery ticket store......
Old 08-01-2009, 03:41 PM
timothymoffat
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Cactus
....off to the lottery ticket store......
Try getting some in Italy. I saw that a lottery there will have a 115million Euro payout this week. Then you could share with your RL buddies!!!!!
Old 09-06-2009, 11:39 AM
curve lover
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Default FS: black WTL Speedster

^ ^ Speaking of the land of Ferraris, Alfas, & Lambos -- & big lottery jackpots -- the following Speedster was once for sale there (see 964Polar's "Speedster 993 in Italy" thread).
It's now for sale in Germany, at the same shop where I looked at it; although then for sale by a private owner.

Thanks to Uber 911 for posting the ad's link. From Parnelli's "Did Porsche make a WB 993 Cabriolet?" thread:
Originally Posted by curve lover
Porsche Speedster 993 Turbolook. ~$108k USD at today's conversion rate.
It's the normally-aspirated one, of the two Speedsters I flew to look at in Europe, & that RLer J.A.W.S. saw many times where he worked.
IIRC, the owner told me it may have had front-end damage before its conversion.

Photos & details on page two of the "Cabriolet in wide body?" thread.

Higher-resolution photos from my trip are featured on pages 10-14 of the "Speedster type 993 photo thread."

No affiliation.
Graham-- You have a PM.

Last edited by curve lover; 08-13-2012 at 02:46 AM. Reason: fix ded pix lnx
Old 09-07-2009, 02:30 AM
curve lover
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Default project FS in Germany

No affiliation. Just sharing a rarity I stumbled upon, in case it helps anyone in any way.
Some serious enthusiasts have relayed their desire to convert a 993 to a Speedster.
Here's an unfinished project; I can't vouch for anything regarding quality, factory parts or lack thereof, worksmanship, pre-bodywork condition, etc.
For example, that may be a WB front rocker extension, followed by narrow-body rear rockers.

In the off chance you find it helpful, especially to someone in Europe:
For sale -- "PORSCHE Porsche Speedster 993 Turbolook."

Last edited by curve lover; 03-11-2011 at 10:46 AM. Reason: fix dead photo link
Old 09-07-2009, 05:00 AM
David in LA
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Speaking of projects...when are you going to put in a TPC supercharger into your Speedster
Old 09-07-2009, 08:57 PM
curve lover
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

^^ David-- Let me know if you've installed that. A supercharger does seem like one of the few options for getting a serious horsepower boost, while keeping the stock (normally-aspirated) spoiler.
I'm thrilled with Speedy just the way she is, but I'll certainly keep options open.

While we're yabbering, though: For more HP, I'd favor the following, as discussed on page 9 of this thread...
Gemballa's turbo-charging with 'stealth' intercoolers, similar in outside appearance to Princeton Wong (poorb0yw)'s.
I contacted Gemballa a while back, but they said they don't do that 993 engine modification anymore.

Of all the exotic 993s covered on RL, I don't think I've ever heard another mention of Gemballa's below turbocharging. Anyone else???
993 Speedster turbo-charged, but keeping the stock movable spoiler, instead of a whale-tale. (The intercoolers' placement would be like a rare 993 Turbo option that Gemballa offered, where the ICs were split onto the lower sides. Similar to where 996 / 997 Turbos have them now, I believe.)
I mentioned the rare Gemballa Turbo option with the stealth intercoolers, I think the following photo is the general model. Turbo cab with stock, movable tail ... sweet!
I'd love to get some discussion going on this Gemballa water/air intercooler.
I don't think I've seen much mention of this on Rennlist. Anyone have experience with one of these?
More info in this link to the entire 2000 Gemballa PDF catalog. Per page 6, "500 hp BiTurbo, no rear spoiler required."
Old 09-07-2009, 08:58 PM
curve lover
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

David-- Princeton Wong (poorb0yw)'s, referenced above & on page 9 of this thread:
Chris-- Perfect combo: Turbo Speedster. I posted the previous stealth-tale details & pix as a hint of what you could do, if you wanted to keep the rear Speedster lines on a Turbo. Another custom turbo-charged approach:

Old 09-08-2009, 12:55 AM
timothymoffat
Rennlist Member

"Jorl" and his 993 Targa use a system by TTP, I believe, with front mounted intercoolers. Must be lots of plumbing.

I remember reading an article in Autocar in the late 90's about a 993C4S built for someone in the Porsche family that had the intercoolers concealed in the rear fenders. If memory serves me the work was actually performed by Ruf. I love the concept of Turbo power without the Turbo wing, the fat-*** is much more evident sans-wing.
Old 09-09-2009, 01:30 AM
alpinadvl
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Does this thread get enough attention?...

How I met Jager aka 'curve lover' aka 'I-own-a-red-993-speedster-and-you-dont'....

it took me 3 attempts to get into the pca 'members only' corral al Laguna Seca(damn they guard those cars!)... I even considered swimming the moat...anyway...

So... finally I am in... I just stood in awe walking around the car... and noticed someone checking out another porsche nearby (he was the only person there)....I approached him,

me: 'do you know the owner of this car?'
Jager (Curve Lover): Not sure...
me: 'well...I dont know who he is...have read and downloaded all his pics on the rennlist forum.... this has got to be the most beautiful 993 out there !... and I was hoping to talk to him...
Jager : (note: he is wearing a red 'Got Jager?' t-shirt) - I think his name is 'Jager' or something like that...
me: oh...I dont know that nam-... OH !.... hey what's up man !?

here's the point : it was clear that he was uncomfortable with the attention...or rather any sort of 'showing off' aspect... as soon as he gauged my true interest in the car, he introduced himself.

very cool.
Old 09-10-2009, 11:52 AM
curve lover
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Of all the incredible folks I met in Monterey (A LOT OF CLASS ACTS), the unique timing of how I met Alf just seemed meant to be.

Not that James Cameron will film a drama about it, but here goes:
Speedy was invited to the showcase at "Porsche Island." After parking her, I never got back to uh, "Prohibitive Island" 'til much later in the day, as folks were leaving Laguna. IIRC, part of the reason Alf finally got past the PCA wrist-band checkers is that they'd run out of bands & were forced to let some non-PCAers onto the island.

My bride was waiting to leave when Alf came onto the scene. I was fascinated, as anyone would be meeting this Porsche enthusiast & successful entrepreneur. My lady had access to other wheels, so was able to leave early. Alf & I walked to the Paddock to check out Porschemeister's GT2, & then Alf offered a ride in his showcar, in the BMW show-center, right next to the raceway. As he approached to start his B12, a throng of admirers besieged him with questions. Finally extricating his McLaren-powered rarity, we sped off. At that point, I had only a small hint of how much positive attention his ride would later garner. His Alpina has the magical power of making Speedsters, etc. invisible to the human eye.

By the time we got back to the island, it was just a lot of dust & a couple cars. We traded 993 stories before driving in formation to the Rennlist dinner.

Here's the point: Expect to see great things from Alf. I was lucky to get a glimpse into the life & vision of this already accomplished man. His future plans are even more fascinating & ambitious.

Alf-- I'm still flattered you went out of your way multiple times to meet my red 993. Although I'm sorry the 'bouncers' turned you & others away, it was fortuitous for me that I happened to be there briefly on your final & successful try.

PS Got your latest e-m. Will have good news back to you this weekend.
Old 09-10-2009, 12:17 PM
curve lover
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Wink

Alf-- Remember how you pitifully pleaded with me, saying that -- for my sake -- you had to get a shot of me with Speedy, on my camera? I finally downloaded your handiwork. No joke ... decapitated.

Well, everybody, one word of warning about him -- his "portrait skills" are more than lacking. Guess I got what I paid for.

Oh, his selective memory, too: In addition to my 'dead give-away' T-shirt he wrote of above, no mention of another hint I wore ... "911 Speedster" baseball cap. [Yep, I'm a fashion-impaired Porsche geek.]

All true.

Maybe he's not the brilliant one I took him for. Better lucky than smart?

For a shot of Alf I just posted with same car, see his "PICS: Monterey/Laguna Seca 2009 REWIND...." thread.

Old 09-11-2009, 04:02 AM
alpinadvl
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Jager,

I thought you wanted some anonymity... so....I was just obliging you !

but....doesnt the speedster look great in the pic...I guess I was more concerned about getting the speedster framed than you ! haha.

Quick Reply: Speedster type 993 photo thread