Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ET definition, check my understanding and logic, please?

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2009, 04:23 PM
cgfen
Rennlist Member

Received 873 Likes on 575 Posts
Default ET definition, check my understanding and logic, please?

As I understand, ET = The distance that the wheel-to-hub mounting flange differs from the true centerline of the wheel and that this flange for most common P car wheels is to the “outside” of the centerline of the wheels, ( and the car ). Just to confuse things, I would consider this negative offset since more of the wheel is to the center of the car

Postulate #1. So a wheel with an ET of 67 = a wheel whose flange is 67mm to the outside of the wheel centerline.
True?
False?

Postulate #2. If true, then I am assuming that a car that is stock with ET67, can use wheels ET 57 and still get similar fitment if 10mm hub-centric spacers are used.
True?
False?

I know that there are many variables involved and ET67 may not exactly = ET57 + 10mm spacer, let’s just consider it a thought experiment for now.
At least until I post photo’s.

Thanks

Craig
Old 03-21-2009, 05:50 PM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 572 Likes on 394 Posts

Originally Posted by cgfen
As I understand, ET = The distance that the wheel-to-hub mounting flange differs from the true centerline of the wheel and that this flange for most common P car wheels is to the “outside” of the centerline of the wheels, ( and the car ). Just to confuse things, I would consider this negative offset since more of the wheel is to the center of the car
Most would call it the mounting face not flange

offset o/s - ET - Einpress Tief (PUSHED IN DEPTH )

It's positive when the mounting face is outboard of the wheel centerline, negative when the mountiong face is inboard(deep dish look)

Postulate #1. So a wheel with an ET of 67 = a wheel whose flange is 67mm to the outside of the wheel centerline.
True?
False?
If by 'flange' you mean the mounting face, then yes, this is positive o/s

Postulate #2. If true, then I am assuming that a car that is stock with ET67, can use wheels ET 57 and still get similar fitment if 10mm hub-centric spacers are used.
True?
False?
no, a spacer is negative. when adding a spacer the ET is reduced by the thickness of the spacer, an ET 67 w/ a 10mm spacer becomes an ET57, an ET57 w/ a 10mm spacer becomes ET47 etc.

I know that there are many variables involved and ET67 may not exactly = ET57 + 10mm spacer, let’s just consider it a thought experiment for now.
At least until I post photo’s.

Thanks

Craig
Manufacturers #s are as exact as you can get, unfortunately when folks try to measure their own the results are often less than satisfactory.
Old 03-22-2009, 11:36 PM
cgfen
Rennlist Member

Received 873 Likes on 575 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Verburg
Most would call it the mounting face not flange

offset o/s - ET - Einpress Tief (PUSHED IN DEPTH )

It's positive when the mounting face is outboard of the wheel centerline, negative when the mountiong face is inboard(deep dish look)

If by 'flange' you mean the mounting face, then yes, this is positive o/s

no, a spacer is negative. when adding a spacer the ET is reduced by the thickness of the spacer, an ET 67 w/ a 10mm spacer becomes an ET57, an ET57 w/ a 10mm spacer becomes ET47 etc.

Bill, thanks for taking the time to reply. I know you've answered this, or similar questions, many times.
I've printed your drawing and response so that i can review it and noodle on it a bit during my flight to Seattle tomorrow.

cheers

Craig

Quick Reply: ET definition, check my understanding and logic, please?