Any pics?
Pics Attached (I hope).
Attached Images    
Old 03-12-2009, 07:28 PM
RS 197
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by patela
VIN is a ZZZ. What's involved in getting the sticker?
There is no magic sticker... All you need is the DOT paperwork and pass emisions and you are good to go...With a legal title from Washington or where ever the inteligent DMV worker probably won't even ask for the DOT paperwork... Euro cars had Vn #'s in the window just like US cars...

Car is legal and fairly rare...If an identical US version was sitting next to it I would take the Euro any day...
Old 03-12-2009, 07:30 PM
RS 197
Pro

Originally Posted by patela
Pics Attached (I hope).
Like it... Looks like DOT missed the back bumperetts... I can't quite tell from the picture..It's a 95 only OBD I.
Old 03-12-2009, 07:38 PM
patela
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Like it... Looks like DOT missed the back bumperetts... I can't quite tell from the picture..It's a 95 only OBD I.
I agree, I don't see them on either of the rear shots he sent. It is a 95.
Old 03-12-2009, 08:08 PM
inkatouring
Three Wheelin'

Received 59 Likes on 39 Posts

If it is gray market, then you MUST proceed with caution if you plan to register it in Kalifornia. Your best bet is to check with DMV about registering a Gray market before even trhinking about it any further. Registering Gray markets in Kali can be done, sometimes easily, sometimes with great difficulty and expense. But (unless you want the rarity of a Gray market car) it is not worth the hassel either way and the difficulty when you decide to sell it.

Remember: cars are like buses.....
Old 03-12-2009, 08:19 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 320 Posts

Originally Posted by inkatouring

They're yellow and black and slow?

Please explain the analogy.
Old 03-12-2009, 10:23 PM
inkatouring
Three Wheelin'

Received 59 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark in Baltimore
They're yellow and black and slow?

Please explain the analogy.
Well, I suppose some are yellow and black and slow, but (as I said in my last post): cars are like buses (are like women); there'll be another one coming by in about 10 minutes.
Old 03-12-2009, 10:51 PM
JimGinKC
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

looks like the meticulous owner forgot to replace a center cap on the right front too.
Old 03-12-2009, 11:02 PM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

Received 418 Likes on 233 Posts

How about a third brake light?

Andreas
Old 03-12-2009, 11:03 PM
timothymoffat
Rennlist Member

Received 1,062 Likes on 478 Posts

May I ask why you'd bother with this car? Unless it's the deal of the century (If it sounds too good to be true.......) I'd move on to a less storied car. Could be a hard sell in the future as well. Only the second 993 I've seen with cloth seats. I guess one plus would be the ROW transmission if it's a 95. LOTS of cars out there right now at prices that seemed crazy less than a year ago. Seems like too much trouble to me.
Old 03-12-2009, 11:03 PM
NC TRACKRAT
Rennlist Member

Received 465 Likes on 291 Posts

Let me add my word of caution to those already stated. Passing DOT is only half of the equation. The car must possess EPA certification as well. If not, the car could be required to either be brought into compliance or shipped out of the country. If the current owner doesn't have or can't produce the EPA and DOT release papers, do not buy the car until you can ascertain them by contacting the owner of record who brought the car into the U.S. or both EPA and DOT in Washington. Also, in addition to the above and the stringent requirements of CARB, many insurance companies will not insure grey market cars. Caveat Emptor!
Old 03-13-2009, 12:34 AM
Texas993
Race Car

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

Why bother. With all of the great deals out there on US cars, I would stay far away from it.
Old 03-13-2009, 01:20 AM
csertich
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by pjconner
Why bother. With all of the great deals out there on US cars, I would stay far away from it.
+1.
Old 03-13-2009, 01:48 AM
RS 197
Pro

Originally Posted by inkatouring
If it is gray market, then you MUST proceed with caution if you plan to register it in Kalifornia. Your best bet is to check with DMV about registering a Gray market before even trhinking about it any further. Registering Gray markets in Kali can be done, sometimes easily, sometimes with great difficulty and expense. But (unless you want the rarity of a Gray market car) it is not worth the hassel either way and the difficulty when you decide to sell it.

I have never heard of that...Have you had problems in the past...I can understand it before a title is issued, but once there is a title Kalifornia could car less.... That is my understading...The F chat gues don't have any problems..
Old 03-13-2009, 01:53 AM
RS 197
Pro

Originally Posted by NC TRACKRAT
Let me add my word of caution to those already stated. Passing DOT is only half of the equation. The car must possess EPA certification as well. If not, the car could be required to either be brought into compliance or shipped out of the country. If the current owner doesn't have or can't produce the EPA and DOT release papers, do not buy the car until you can ascertain them by contacting the owner of record who brought the car into the U.S. or both EPA and DOT in Washington. Also, in addition to the above and the stringent requirements of CARB, many insurance companies will not insure grey market cars. Caveat Emptor!
Where is all this coming from... You guys have personal experience about these issues...

this car has already been imported, it has a legal title, they will not ask for the EPA paperwork...It is also OBD 1, with is way easier to pass emisions...

I could see a problem if the car did not pass and you ran into a crazy EPA guy... DMV has nothing to do with EPA....

If it in the county,with a title you are home free....It is a US car know... nobody cares anymore...There are no DEQ/ DOT/ EPA police waiting for you around the corner...

Most of our cars won't pass EPA anyways... I have very few at least..

Quick Reply: Fishy story? Should I follow up or pass