Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   993 Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/993-forum-58/)
-   -   car seat for children (https://rennlist.com/forums/993-forum/486602-car-seat-for-children.html)

need a 993 03-05-2009 09:49 AM

car seat for children

There's a post on the 996 turbo for a car seat for infants that has me wondering what 993er's are using for their kids.

I have a 4 year old that I would love to take out in my 993. What seats have worked best for you all?

911Jetta 03-05-2009 10:17 AM

3 Attachment(s)
I have two of these seats in my car... My son started off in this seat, with the 5-point harness, now he just uses it as a booster with the seatbelt. The seat is like a lightweight racing seat shell with just the right amount of padding. What you can't see in the pictures, and what makes the seat perfect, is that the seat narrows in the back (not a square base design) and perfectly fits the contour of the bottom seat pad and seatback of the car.:bowdown:

http://www.target.com/Cosco-High-Bac...8&pf_rd_t=5101

Black993 03-05-2009 11:02 AM

Also interested in the car-seat thing...

Have a very good friend that is about to have a baby (well his wife is....), and they are looking for something that will fit in the back of his M3 easily. Any ideas would be much appreciated so I don't have to see him get rid of car

dcdude 03-05-2009 11:16 AM

911Jetta- what are the blue belts in the back? Were you able to rig up a tether? I agree- the tapered seat botoms are key.

Justin- I don't think the M3 is nearly such an exotic application. I would just use the Britax of your choice or a Fisher-Price (OEM by Britax) from Albee Baby, if they still have them.

911Jetta 03-05-2009 12:02 PM

2 Attachment(s)
The blue you see is painters tape rolled around a towel… I was thinking that I would get a little more room if I took the seat backs off (ok, an excuse to shed some weight also). I didn’t calculate for than little shelf that’s present (speaking 964, 933 might be different), so taking the seatback out really doesn’t gain you anything?

See the links below for information on the hidden upper mounts. And as dcdude68 says, it’s the taper at the back of the seat bottom base that makes it fit so well.

I modified the brightness of the pictures so you can better see the upper tether mounts. I have more pics at home with greater attachment details if it would help?
Best,
Udo

A couple threads that might help:
http://www.pelicanparts.com/techarti...hild_seat2.htm

http://members.rennlist.com/movies1/Child_Seat.html

bobesser 03-05-2009 06:41 PM

The infant carrier type baby seats will fit in the back if you do not use the base. They have recently started making infant carriers that go up to 30# weight for the baby, so that should easily do for the first year when it needs to be rear facing. Then, there are plenty of applications for forward facing seats. I was able to get a rear facing seat in the back, but, it pretty much makes the front passenger seat useless.

Bob

need a 993 03-05-2009 10:25 PM

Thanks for the responses. I think I will try 911Jetta's seat.
My daugter just turned 4 and weighs around 38lbs, so all she needs is a booster seat.

She'll miss the DVD player in the minivan- oh well!

Harry L 03-05-2009 10:37 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I installed two of the factory booster seats that Gert still shows on his website.

Simon W 03-06-2009 12:27 PM

911Jetta - Great reply. Thanks. I'm interested to know - for your youngest child using the 5 point harness. Is the Porsche rear seat belt long enough to snake round in order to fix the child seat securely in place or did you have to get a belt extender. I'm thinking of bringing my 2 UK seats with me when I come over since I know they fit correctly in the back...but they need a belt extender. If the cosco seat fits without having to extend the belts, that would be a great option for me....

Floodj 03-06-2009 03:08 PM

911 Jetta,
Thanks for the information. I have been looking for a car seat that will fit in the back of my 993. I think our back seats are almost identical, so I will give this one a shot. I hadn't seen the first DIY for the tether strap, I think I will give that a shot also.

Everyone,
I recently saw these anchor points on Rennline (http://www.rennline.com/Harness-Moun...ductinfo/SA03/) I contacted Rennline and they said they work as anchor points for child seats. I think this coupled with the tether DIY should make our cars pretty safe for the kids. Has anyone installed them yet?

thanks,
--Joe

911Jetta 03-09-2009 12:23 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Guys,
Keep the questions coming, anything I can do to help the next generation develop the love for these cars!

Five-point mounting:
- Child secured by the five-point harness built into the seat.
- The upper is attached to the anchor bolt (as seen in the previous links). This is a must and really locks everything down (no tipping or movement from the top)
- Seat belt goes behind and through seat (through all of the normal holes and slots)
- I’ve added a seat belt locking clip on the outside edge(too hard to describe – will take a pic.)

- I’ve also added a Might Tite seat belt tension buckle. The seat pockets are rather narrow and deep and the seat belt attachment point sit up a little high, so the Might Tite takes out a little extra slack. (I’ll take a pic. later when at home)

http://www.epinions.com/reviews/Migh..._Sunshine_Kids

- I’ve created my own version of the Rennline harness mount (I really like the R. mount AS a LATCH attachment point). Actually I found enough space at the end of the seatbelts (at car mounting bolts) to click in the latch mounts (without added hardware). Needless to say the seat doesn’t move at all.

With the seats that I have, no seatbelt extension is needed at all.

The booster seat (used by my 5 ½ yr. old, exact same seat as 2 ½ yr. old uses)
- The upper is attached to the anchor bolt.
- Five point harness removed
- LATCH belts removed.
- uses cars seatbelts (with the booster seat built-in upper seatbelt guide)

Wow it gets a lot simpler as they get older!

The profile of the seats PERFECTLY fits seat pocket area. Perfect fit! However this is a very simple seat and the padding is on the thin side (my kids haven’t complained). It’s a R-Gruppe style seat! Both seats also sit on a car seat mat that catches crumbs and keeps the booster from digging into the car's seats.

Sorry there is a lot to describe here… I’ll take whatever pictures you guys need?

Seat Description

This high back car seat from Cosco will provide safety as well as comfort while traveling with your most precious cargo.
• Belt-positioning guides on both sides
• Internal 5-point harness system for children 22-40 pounds
• Belt-positioning booster for children 40-80 lbs.
• 2 harness heights for better fit
• Roomy seat has comfort-support sides for napping
• Locking clip included
• Meets federal motor vehicle safety standards, including crash testing head excursion limits
• Equipped with LATCH (Lower Anchors and Tethers for Children), a system that allows the car seat to be fastened to the vehicle without use of the adult lap-shoulder belt
• Also available at most Wal-Mart stores
• Model No. 22-209-WAL

Specifications

Shipping Weight (in pounds): 12.05
Product in Inches (L x W x H): 15.25 x 29.25 x 17.25
Assembled in Country of Origin: USA
Origin of Components: USA
Wal-Mart No.: 002643991

Simon W 03-09-2009 01:47 PM

Another great, informative post - thanks.

We don't have the LATCH system here so very interested to learn about that. So as far as you know, if I was to buy a pair of these seats for the back of a 993, I'd be able to install using just the adult 3 point belt already in the car rahter than having to tether the seat at the central rear tether mount? The bit in the description that states:
• Equipped with LATCH (Lower Anchors and Tethers for Children), a system that allows the car seat to be fastened to the vehicle without use of the adult lap-shoulder belt

is making me think I can't install using simply the adult lap-shoulder belt. Perhpas I've misunderstood.

I don't remember either of my 993's in the UK having that central mount and the photo I have of the cab I'm considering doesn't look like it has them either....

Sorry if this question is ignorant.....

911Jetta 03-10-2009 11:37 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Simon,
No worries about the questions... sorry about the long-winded answers!

How old and what is the weight of your child(ren)? Your whole set up depends on your specific needs? What’s great about my experience so far is that one seat (for the 2 yr. old) needs a lot of support and extra attachments and the other (for my 5 ½) needs mostly just the booster. So I’ve seen it all…

Don’t worry too much about the LATCH system. That system came around after our cars were designed. In setting up the seat for my 2 yr. old, I used the LATCH attachment belts (built into the child seat) as just one more lock-down point. It’s redundant and works in addition to the lap-shoulder belt.

The upper tether mount was also hidden in my car. I followed an old thread on this site to expose the slots. You mentioned “cab”, all bets are off in regards to cabs though… I followed “Bates” DIY (thanks!)
https://rennlist.com/forums/964-foru...st-how-to.html

Based on my experience I think the upper tether mount adds a lot to the overall stability of the seat. I don’t want to argue the crash protection merits of an upper tether point, but the day-to-day stability of the seat (in either 5-point mode or just used as a booster) is greatly increased with the tether. The reason for this is that even though the booster fits PERFECTLY in the seat pocket area, the (Porsche) car seat design is very deep b/c of the transmission. The seating is deep and the seatbelt anchor attachment points are relatively high in relation to the seat bottom (normal cars have a pretty flat seat with belts right there, the Porsche belts start just a little higher and forward).

So in the Porsche, the seat fits perfectly and the seat belts thread through nicely but the triangulated relationship of the belt is altered causing most any booster seat to tip forward. (Sorry for the long-winded detail – see pictures)

When I was first installing the seats, I knew everything was locked down and secure, but given the forward and high location of the seatbelt anchoring bolts it still felt tippy. The upper tether mount completely solves this.

Best,
Udo

JPS 03-10-2009 05:40 PM

subscribing to thread

Floodj 04-12-2009 03:07 PM

Installed Carseat

4 Attachment(s)
I finally installed a car seat in my 993. My son is 13 months old, so I am using a robust car seat, the the Graco Comfortsport. It fits well, but since it is larger the passenger seat is still pretty far forward. I think the position and fit make the car safe for both passengers, but a little cramped for my wife who is about 5' 7". The key to success for me was the Mighty Tite. I could not get the belt to lock in, but the mighty tite took care of that. The seat does move a little maybe .25 inches right to left total; I like no movement, but felt it was safe. I tried 911 Jetta's trick of using the seat belt anchors for the LATCH anchor point, but the 993 has a shroud covering these points, so that didn't work out for me. I have the Rennline track anchor points on order (plus some for the front seats--harness mount is the next planned purchase), once they arrive I will also do the modification to install the upper tether mount. Tomorrow I plan on doing some panic braking test to make sure everything is really secure.
Hope this helps.
--Joe