993 Forum 1995-1998

Shopping for a 993

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2009, 01:03 AM
rc1320
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shopping for a 993

I'm shopping for a 993 and am very excited to find my first Porsche. While I'm very enthusiastic about this purchase I'm also very concerned that I make the right purchase that I'll be happy with as a keeper.

With that said, what sources can you all share as the best resources for shopping for a 993? Also, whats the going rate of a clean 993 c2, c2s, and or c4s. I've been performing a considerable amount of due diligence but the going pricing baffles me.

Any 993's that you could point me to would be great. I'm located in Seattle but am open to a clean purchase pretty much anywhere.
Old 02-10-2009, 01:18 AM
jnx
Three Wheelin'

Default 96 C2

Hello, I have a freind who is selling a low mileage, very clean C2. You can email him at dtw1@charter.net for details. Tell him Jay sent you. He is a good friend of mine and he never visits the forum.
Old 02-10-2009, 01:54 AM
goofballdeluxe
Rennlist Member

Received 150 Likes on 97 Posts

There are many topics related to all of your questions. Search is your friend.

There are myriad differences between a C2 and a C4S. The rule of thumb is decide what you really want, and then buy the best example you can afford. Set aside a few thousand to sort out any initial things the car may need, and first and foremost a comprehensive PPI by a reputable Porsche wrench is a MUST!

Some C2's can be had in the teens or 20s whereas some 'S' cars can go in the $50K range or more. Depends on what you want and how much you want to spend.

You can check the classifieds here on Rennlist, of course, but where you buy is less important as to what you buy. And that will all be revealed by a good comprehensive PPI. That's the most important thing.

Good luck!
Old 02-10-2009, 02:54 AM
MrRoboto
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Mine's for sale.

https://rennlist.com/forums/993-foru...-for-sale.html
Old 02-10-2009, 03:18 AM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Received 507 Likes on 338 Posts
Smile 993 Cars for Sale

Brent Smith from Smith Volvo, San Luis Obispo, CA has several 993 cars on his lot. Look up his web site and check the inventory. Both were serviced there...whatever it took to make them as close to perfect as possible. His Porsche mechanic also works on my 993 car, Guy from Guy's Independent Porsche.

Brent is racing buddy, a long time Porsche geek, very successful Club Racer and a guy with integrity...you are nuts if you don't check out his 993 cars...they look great in person...I was there today.

Best regards,

Martin
Old 02-10-2009, 03:34 AM
H.H.Chinn
Drifting

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Does anyone in the PNW know where the Polar Silver 993 went or sold to that was once available at Barrier Porsche some time ago? Did it find a home with a fellow Rennlister?
Old 02-10-2009, 01:36 PM
rc1320
Instructor

Originally Posted by goofballdeluxe
There are many topics related to all of your questions. Search is your friend.
Search in general is your friend but vbulletin search sucks. Being that I've worked on many search related products that layer on top of VB I know that clicking the search button up in that NAVBAR is a waste of my time.

Originally Posted by H.H.Chinn
Does anyone in the PNW know where the Polar Silver 993 went or sold to that was once available at Barrier Porsche some time ago? Did it find a home with a fellow Rennlister?
That guys is still for sale and I test drove it this weekend but it's a little plain jane. On top of that I'm still trying to understand the pricing of the 993's. Do you guys feel the Barrier 993 is priced right at ~26K?
Old 02-10-2009, 01:40 PM
Butzi
Pro

Here you go:

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sfc/cto/1026904129.html

And, yes, its mine.
Old 02-10-2009, 02:08 PM
dcdude
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by rc1320
Search in general is your friend but vbulletin search sucks. Being that I've worked on many search related products that layer on top of VB I know that clicking the search button up in that NAVBAR is a waste of my time.
Welcome to the best 993 resource on the planet! You may be burdened by your knowledge. I'm not going to say "Search" is a requirement, but if you say, "I've read all the threads on 'buying advice,' 'buying tips' and 'buying a 993' and here's what I can't find..." you'll get a higher volume of quality responses. This is a Top Five topic on this board, therefore, Goofball is very correct. If you time is indeed valuable, you can search and read in minutes rather than wait for days to see if the vets feel like weighing in on your "new" topic for the XXth time. Just a tip.

Since you are an expert, you can also tell us how having fewer posts on the same topic makes for a cleaner DB and easier scanning of search results for people that come after you.
Old 02-10-2009, 02:14 PM
Safemoney
Racer

Mine's for sale and very clean with good records - also some nice mods included. It turns heads!
Old 02-10-2009, 03:26 PM
rome
Rennlist Member

Judging a "market price" is impossible in this economy.

There are many motivated sellers, so great deals can be had if you connect with the right person.

On the other hand....if you want a certain car (whether it be 4S, 2S, color combo, options or whatever) you may not necessarily be buying form a motivated seller to get exactly what you want.

Pricing is literally all over the place...I'd say from mid 20's for decent, early model C2's....all the way up to $50K (and even much more) for very good 2S's and 4S's (owned by unmotivated sellers).

Last edited by rome; 02-10-2009 at 03:50 PM.
Old 02-10-2009, 03:53 PM
Allen
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I think you would do yourself a favor to narrow your choices down somewhat. Try to identify things/colors/transmissions that definitely do NOT want. That will save you a lot of time. Think about what you want to get out of the car...will it be a daily driver, track car, weekend pleasure car, are you the kind of person who enjoys simply looking at the car as much as driving it (like me). These things will save you a lot of time and help you get into a car you will be happy with. I think you will find most cars out in the marketplace to be in "pretty good" shape, with average miles (75K to 100K miles). These can be had for mid 20s to low 30s, depending on condition. You will find much fewer cars that are in true "excellent/mint/perfect" condition. These will usually have lower miles (<50K or so). These will cost you a good bit more...mid/high 30s or low 40s Finally, there are a few cars that are in true "excellent/mint/perfect" condition, that have very low miles (<20K miles or so). These will cost you high $40K and up. There are buyers for each of these groups of cars...you need to identify which group of cars you need to be looking at. Keep in mind that MOST cars with exceptionally clean interiors and exteriors, have also been well maintained cars from a technical standpoint as well...but they cost more.
Old 02-10-2009, 04:01 PM
H.H.Chinn
Drifting

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Barrier Porsche rarely sees 993s unless someone trades one in. I thought it looked pretty clean even before it was sent for detail. I didn't look at how it was optioned
Old 02-10-2009, 05:56 PM
rc1320
Instructor

Thanks for all the feedback. As for that one in SF bay, that's right up my alley.

As for what I'm looking for:

Model: I prefer a C2 although I'm interest in C4S considering how great they look, the brakes, etc. Ideally I would love the C2S but I' looking to stay under 35K.

Use: The car will be used as a somewhat daily driver but not a lot of stop and go traffic.

Exterior colors: White, Artic Silver, Black, Polar Silver, or the Turquoise Blue

Interior colors: Black, maybe gray

Transmission: 6 speed only

Mods: Open to wide variety of standard modifications

Other: I've always loved the targa and am open to the purchase of a clean C2 targa. On the other hand I hear the targa is prone to chain drive failures so I would like to know more about that.

I'm primarily looking on the West Coast being that I will want to view the car before I purchase it. I'm extremely picky regarding door dings and paint. As for putting the feeler out there I've been reading up lots, talking with informed enthusiasts and test driving what Porsches are available.

The real funny thing here is that John Dunkle is the guy who always told me I would end up in a 993. I've been trying to get a hold of him for the last two weeks but I think he may be out of the country. Other than that, I'm a Porsche noob. I've never owned one although I'm use to spending in excess of 5K between mods and maintenance on any car I own and I always like to try new cars. I currently drive a Audi A5 and a smart fortwo.
Old 02-10-2009, 06:16 PM
gonzilla
Rennlist Member

Received 98 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by rc1320
Wow. I think your experience is contrary to probably 99% of the contributing members of this board. I know that I've gotten TONS of great information by searching for it rather than making a new post to something that has been discussed to death over the past 10 years.

For instance... here is a search done for Targa top topics. I'm sure you can find some answers to your questions in there.

https://rennlist.com/forums/search.php?searchid=3693937

And here's the results just looking for "targa":

https://rennlist.com/forums/search.php?searchid=3693946

You may have to do a little hunting for topics and answers, but most likely the answers are there if you just spend a little bit of time.

At one point of another, we've all been asked to search when we post up a topic that's been discussed a lot inthe past. It really does help keep the number threads on the same topic down to a minimum, thus making the board much more user friendly.

OK, rant over (I think I was channeling Ray)... Good luck finding your car!!!

Quick Reply: Shopping for a 993