Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Protomotive Stage 1 Twin Turbo Install DIY

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2011, 12:26 AM
triplezero
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Just read this entire post....Anyone considering this kit, walk away....Its junk....Your better off buying a good used 993tt engine...It will be cheaper in the long run.
A customer(new) of mine had another Porsche shop install this kit with poor results...In less than a year he went through numermous headaches...End result??? Cracked #2 barrel, cylinders 3/4 had broken rings, major "shuffle-ing" of the heads/barrels(Heads had to be machined due to the severe pitting)...etc.
Good news? Well, once I'm done its going to be a 3.8l monster! This time, done right. If anyone is interested I'll post some pics.
-kenny
Old 01-05-2011, 12:47 AM
TRINITONY
Rennlist Member

Received 249 Likes on 210 Posts

Plz start a separate thread and post the pics.

Some folks have had very positive results with this kit, and ever prefer it to a stock 993TT.
Old 01-05-2011, 06:27 AM
Caveman
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Thanks Eric,

Interesting write up and I wish you all the best with it. If you had to use cats where would they go?

Cheers,

David
Old 01-05-2011, 11:12 AM
TheOtherEric
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by triplezero
Just read this entire post....Anyone considering this kit,
-kenny
Gotcha. Protomotive doesn't know anything, but you Mr. 8-Post Wunderkind will show them the right way to turbo an engine. Okaaaaay.

It sounds like you have services to offer Rennlisters, in which case I'd humbly suggest you reevaluate your sales tactics. Resurrecting threads just to trash-talk others in the p-car community members is a poor start.
Old 01-05-2011, 11:15 AM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 496 Likes on 320 Posts

Old 01-05-2011, 12:09 PM
Norske
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Great job Eric. I hope you enjoy yours as much I enjoy mine.
Old 01-05-2011, 01:19 PM
Caveman
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Roughly what sort of 0-60 do you get?

Cheers,

David
Old 01-05-2011, 03:07 PM
MarinS4
Rennlist Member

Received 168 Likes on 121 Posts

Just read this entire post....Anyone considering this kit, walk away....Its junk....Your better off buying a good used 993tt engine...It will be cheaper in the long run.
A customer(new) of mine had another Porsche shop install this kit with poor results...In less than a year he went through numermous headaches...End result??? Cracked #2 barrel, cylinders 3/4 had broken rings, major "shuffle-ing" of the heads/barrels(Heads had to be machined due to the severe pitting)...etc.
Good news? Well, once I'm done its going to be a 3.8l monster! This time, done right. If anyone is interested I'll post some pics.
-kenny
Hmmm....My car had the same kit installed by the PO. He ran it that way for years. I tore into the motor to upgrade the rods and cams for more power. Everything looked fine inside.

When I hear horror stories like these they always seem to be missing important facts. Was the AF ratio ever checked after install? How much boost did they run? The above motor sounds like it was detonating. It must have been bad cause the ECU can save the motor up to a certain point.

I track my car all the time. No problems.

Last edited by MarinS4; 01-07-2011 at 12:38 AM.
Old 01-05-2011, 03:11 PM
MarinS4
Rennlist Member

Received 168 Likes on 121 Posts

Originally Posted by TRINITONY
Some folks have had very positive results with this kit, and ever prefer it to a stock 993TT.
I use to own a 993tt with modified K24's, Andail IC etc. 500WHP/500WHT

I prefer the current turbo'd C4S hands down over the factory 993 turbo. Overall power is less but the fun factor is waaaaay higher with the high compression and VRAM. On track and on the street the power delivery is perfect!
Old 01-06-2011, 12:18 PM
zschicago
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Im ordering the kit this week. Talked with multiple Porsche installers in Chicago and LA and the all give Protomotive the highest marks.
Old 02-02-2013, 09:19 PM
carmstrongls1
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

-kenny
Hmmmmm.... Minus the fact that there is about an inch or so difference in the final mounting of such engine, numerous other upgrades and modifications. Or the 25k that a used engine commands these days. Versus the 14k bolt on solution.

Or the fact that the kit in this thread was just made by world renown Porsche tuner. But never mind those facts.
Old 02-02-2013, 11:43 PM
TheOtherEric
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by carmstrongls1
Hmmmmm.... Minus the fact that there is about an inch or so difference in the final mounting of such engine, numerous other upgrades and modifications. Or the 25k that a used engine commands these days. Versus the 14k bolt on solution.

Or the fact that the kit in this thread was just made by world renown Porsche tuner. But never mind those facts.
With a few years hindsight, i can appreciate the negative comments a bit. First off, the Pmotive package will cost far far more than the $14k price tag. Several thousand more to be sure, even if you DIY like I did. And as many Rlisters know, my engine exploded after maybe a year. There's another $10k. A fun DIY project no doubt, just make sure you understand what you're in for. I'm happy to put this phase of my life behind me.
Old 02-03-2013, 01:10 AM
zschicago
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ive had mine installed for over a year. No issues at all. I love it. Want to send it down to Protomotive and have stage 2 installed. That another $14K. However they rebuild it so that it can properly support the boost. It also gives the car more HP, but im not sure it really needs it. I dont mind putting the $$$ in a car that I truly love. Ive had 997 & 997.2 and keep coming back to my 993.
Old 02-03-2013, 03:09 AM
CalvinC4S
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have no experience with protomotive or this kit, but I do have experience turbo charging normally aspirated Porsches.

The key component to this modification in my opinion is lowering the compression ratio of a N/A motor by replacing the pistons and cylinders.

The cost of a high end turbo engine conversion can easily exceed the cost of a used TT motor by 3-4x's.

Fortunately the N/A 993 has dual plugs and effective knock control. With conservative boost, hopefully that's enough.
Old 02-03-2013, 02:18 PM
Chris M.
Rennlist Member

Received 92 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by TheOtherEric
With a few years hindsight, i can appreciate the negative comments a bit. First off, the Pmotive package will cost far far more than the $14k price tag. Several thousand more to be sure, even if you DIY like I did. And as many Rlisters know, my engine exploded after maybe a year. There's another $10k. A fun DIY project no doubt, just make sure you understand what you're in for. I'm happy to put this phase of my life behind me.
Did you reinstall the turbo kit on the new engine?

Quick Reply: Protomotive Stage 1 Twin Turbo Install DIY