Current Value Check

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2009, 07:15 PM
patela
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Current Value Check

Ok,

I'm close to pulling the trigger on a car, but I'm just not sure it's worth the price. (I'm not so in love with the car that I would regret passing on it, it just seems like a better specimen that I have found in a while).

car is a 1995 C4 black/black, with 96K mi, all stock except for radio. New brakes, new tires, new slave cylinder, recent oil change. New clutch at 37K mi, and new valve guides at about 42K mi. Everything else is original. Current oil consumption appears to be minimal. The car is very clean and the owner is meticulous. Current owner has owned the car for about 30K mi.

Pros to me - local clean car with neurotic current owner, needed a bit of work early on, but nothing significant recently. Mostly highway miles.

Cons to me -- color - not excited about keeping a black car clean. concern about work that will be necessary soon. (Clutch, shocks, anything else).

Seller's bottom line is $27K, which seems a little high for this car and this market, but I'd like to know your thoughts. (I know the usual -- if it's worth it to you, then it's worth it, but I'm looking for some slightly more objective thoughts). I'm partial to a c4 coupe, so I feel like a gotta take what I can get.

Thanks!!!

Arun
Old 01-19-2009, 07:36 PM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

I'm no expert on price esp. w/ regards to Calif cars but a couple of items to bring up:
1) Clutch - if done at 37K and now at 96K that's only 60K on this clutch, these things CAN go for 125K if driven properly (I couldn't make one last that long though). However, it's in SF, I have no idea how long they last there but unless it shows signs of needing one I can't see factoring that in right now.

2) Suspension - If it's still on the stock shocks they were worn out a LONG time ago.....

Best of luck with your decision. I agree with your opinion of black.....but then not many like red so it's a matter of taste.
Old 01-19-2009, 07:37 PM
agent325
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 13 Posts

I think you can find a better deal
Old 01-19-2009, 07:56 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 496 Likes on 320 Posts

In this market, I think he's about $3,000 too high, maybe more. The car is just shy of 100,000 miles, a marker that has quite an effect on buyers and a Porsche's value, regardless of "how many miles one can wring out of a 993". Budget $3,000 for new shocks; those stock boingers are not long for this world.

Last edited by Mark in Baltimore; 01-19-2009 at 09:00 PM.
Old 01-19-2009, 09:30 PM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 90 Likes on 57 Posts

I would agree that it's at least $3K overpriced, but probably more. I'd keep looking.

New clutch at 37k would make me think twice about the first owner's capable hands...
Old 01-19-2009, 10:02 PM
NP993
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Sounds like a nice car that's had a lot of the expensive stuff taken care of. For $24-25K it'd be a good deal. For $27K, you're close to the range where you can get a Varioram C2 with fewer miles. You don't need all wheel drive in Cali.
Old 01-19-2009, 10:31 PM
grwoolf
Racer

Originally Posted by patela
Ok,

(I'm not so in love with the car that I would regret passing on it, it just seems like a better specimen that I have found in a while).

Arun

On this statement alone, I would pass. Why buy a car you are not passionate about, even if it was a great deal (unless you plan to resell it right away)? Don't settle on Black if you don't want black. On the flip side, I wouldn't let $3k over 'market' keep me from buying a car I really like. $3k one way or the other is a very small % of the total cost of ownership if you plan on keeping it a while.
Old 01-20-2009, 12:09 AM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by grwoolf
On this statement alone, I would pass. Why buy a car you are not passionate about, even if it was a great deal (unless you plan to resell it right away)? Don't settle on Black if you don't want black. On the flip side, I wouldn't let $3k over 'market' keep me from buying a car I really like. $3k one way or the other is a very small % of the total cost of ownership if you plan on keeping it a while.
Great comments!
Old 01-20-2009, 11:23 AM
matt777
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It doesn't sound like its the absolute best deal out there but having had the top end done is a big bonus.
Old 01-20-2009, 02:35 PM
Allen
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by grwoolf
I agree with this. Also agree with earlier post that if the car has original shocks...they are probably ready to be replaced. Also agree with earlier post that a clutch with 60K miles on it is nothing...if the guy drives it right. Take a ride with the owner if possible, this will give you a good idea of how he handles the car and the life remaining on the clutch.
Old 01-20-2009, 11:18 PM
Speedraser
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

No one has asked about condition. You say the car is "very clean" and the owner is meticulous. If it's in great shape, it may not be too overpriced. So, if you love the car, it may well be worth it. But you say you're not so in love, so perhaps it's not the right one for you. FWIW, mine is black, and yes it's a pain, but it looks GREAT when it's clean.

It's interesting that you said it's a "better specimen" than you've found in a while. I think that's worth keeping in mind, especially in view of the numerous "bargains" that people seem to be finding. A lot of those really cheap 993s are cheap for a reason, and it's not necessarily just the economy...
Old 01-21-2009, 09:39 PM
patela
Rennlist Member

Thanks for all the comments guys. To put a little more, eh, "color" on my question, the reason I'm not in love with it is primarily the color. I agree that black looks great when clean, but my track record for washing the car is less than stellar.

I am more partial to dark blue (any variety), green, grey and arena red in that order. Black ranks ahead of white and GR though I suppose everything is negotiable at the right price. I'm also partial to the 95 because I live in California and don't want to deal with the SAI issue. I'm partial to the C4 because it will be my only car and I intend to take it to Tahoe for snowboarding.

Condition is pretty good as far as I can tell. Like I said, there's been a little significant mechanical work early on, but not much otherwise (at least no records of much else). I think the clutch doesn't get much of a beating because much of the recent mileage is highway. I think the owner is pretty gentle with the car -- he looked alarmed when I pushed it just a bit on the test drive.

Speaking of the test drive, it was pretty smooth and quiet. I was really impressed with how much more refined it seemed than the 964s I've driven (which is another possibility).

There's some more info -- Tawk amougnst yeh-selves.
Old 01-21-2009, 11:30 PM
VMXWinn
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Arun,

There is another Black Cab on Craigs List in the east bay, Lafayette-Orinda, with 70k+ for $25k. I live local if you want me to check it out for you.

Good Luck,
Darren
Old 01-22-2009, 05:23 PM
Butzi
Pro

Have you looked at my car? C4S, Silver...? Check it out on Autotrader (also on local Craigslist, so I'm sure you've seen it, right?)
Old 01-22-2009, 11:11 PM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 90 Likes on 57 Posts

Here's yet another data point for naysayers: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...3AIT&viewitem=

Quick Reply: Current Value Check