Sponsored by:

Optima Red Top not holding charge

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2009, 12:06 PM
TheOtherEric
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
Optima's are AGM batteries which require totally different charging regimes.
Thanks Steve! Once again proving you're the guru. More info on Optima's AGM red and yellow tops here.

My Shumacher smart charger indeed uses a different routine for AGM / gel batteries compared to regular batteries. Perhaps this could have been hurting my red tops, since I use "regular" charging. (interestingly, my "regular" charging still seems to fall within Optima's recommendations of 13.8 to 15V)
Old 01-18-2009, 03:34 PM
Bearclaw
Three Wheelin'

Location: Seattle xburb - I can't see the Emerald City, but I know it's out there somewhere
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

I need a battery that's basically "install-and-forget", and compatible with a standard battery tender. I ran across the info on the different requirements of charging Optima's as my second on was in its death throes. At that point, I decided a 'standard' battery was the type for me - especially factoring in the price difference.

A 4-5 year life span doesn't sound all that impressive to me. Any battery, unless it's severely abused, should do that.

It was my understanding these batteries are a paste surrounding thin spiral coils.
Old 01-18-2009, 10:47 PM
csertich
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've done some internet searches for the right kind of charger based on the info in this thread (Thanks to all). From what I can tell in looking at several sites, no cig charge anymore. Am I right? No big deal, but it is convenient.

chuck
Old 01-18-2009, 11:33 PM
TMc993
Rennlist Member

Received 555 Likes on 350 Posts

I've stayed away from Optima batteries because of the variability of results people get with them...With an Optima, everyone seems to have a different story.

I've found that for my driving habits/conditions, nothing beats an Interstate battery for "install and forget" service. They're not that expensive and for me at least, give great service over a long periods of time.
Old 01-19-2009, 07:57 AM
Smiles
Pro

I really don't like the Optima batteries, having gone through two in a short period of time.

I'm using the OEM Bosch battery in my 993. It was relatively inexpensive, properly vented. I'll stick with what the Porsche engineers had in mind...
Old 01-19-2009, 09:58 AM
NC TRACKRAT
Rennlist Member

Received 462 Likes on 288 Posts

Just curious, folks...Those that said they have a battery cut-off...When close to inspection time, aren't you concerned about getting a "fail"? FWIW, I use the Battery Tender Plus and have gotten excellent results with it on OPTIMA, ODYSSEY and conventional maintenance sealed batteries.
Old 01-19-2009, 09:59 AM
cmoss

Originally Posted by Barney1
In the owners manual it says to lock the car all the time. This turns off the drive block system. If left on you will have a draw. Try that.
It does?!?!? I really need to read that thing.
I might even figure out the heater controls.
Old 01-19-2009, 12:49 PM
dmcentee
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

With all of the other reported problems with Optima batteries, I'm going to assume that it's my battery and not my charging system that's causing the problems. I just ordered a CTEK 3300 with the cigarette lighter adapter and this should keep me running.

Thanks to all
Old 01-19-2009, 01:41 PM
Monique
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

FWIW, I have large gel batteries in the sailboat. In the operation manual, it states that under no circumstance should the charge drop below 65% as damage will be done to the unit.

I have a solar panel to keep them at 100% while I am not in attendance.

In the Pcar, I always used a Pcar trickle charger to keep the gel battery charged. Never had a problem.

Good luck
Old 01-19-2009, 02:30 PM
Van1
Drifting

Received 64 Likes on 47 Posts

I still have the Optima red top that came with my car when I bought it over 4.5 years ago and it is still going strong. First few Omaha winters I let the car sit with no trickle charge. Sure, battery would be dead come spring but after a charge with my Craftsman charger it was good to go for the season. Can't say this practice worked for my Ducati as I had to buy new batteries every year. This past year I was out of country for over a year so I bought a Battery Tender and hooked it directly to the battery. My wife drove the car maybe once while I was gone and she had no problems. When I came back in Aug the car was good to go. Am I just having extra good luck with this battery?
Old 01-19-2009, 09:49 PM
csertich
Addict
Rennlist Member

And thanks to you. I missed the cig lighter attachment for these units when I searched. Adult ADD.....That's my excuse.

Originally Posted by dmcentee
With all of the other reported problems with Optima batteries, I'm going to assume that it's my battery and not my charging system that's causing the problems. I just ordered a CTEK 3300 with the cigarette lighter adapter and this should keep me running.

Thanks to all
Old 01-20-2009, 01:56 PM
Akerlie
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

deleted double post

Last edited by Akerlie; 01-20-2009 at 03:19 PM.
Old 01-20-2009, 01:56 PM
Akerlie
Burning Brakes

What i do not understand is why one would choose a Red top instead of a yellow top for a non diesel Porsche . . .

But after having tryied the odyssey i am not returning to Optima red top as i have had quite a few of them die on me.
The Yellow top has proven to be more stable.

And as for chargers i use nothing but Ctek for trickle charging my batteries
Old 01-20-2009, 02:41 PM
TheOtherEric
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Akerlie
What i do not understand is why one would choose a Red top instead of a yellow top for a non diesel Porsche . . .
Easy: (1) Red Top is recommended for typical auto use, and (2) Yellowtop is a deep discharge battery.

OTOH, Red tops seems to have a real problem when not daily driven, so the yellow top probably couldn't be any worse.
Old 01-20-2009, 03:20 PM
Akerlie
Burning Brakes

Overe here they actually recomend the yellow top for "regular" cars and the red top for cars with bigger diesel engines and 4x4's with winches.

Quick Reply: Optima Red Top not holding charge