Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OT: Any 993 owner's play Ice hockey?

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2009, 03:02 PM
fast_freddy
Rennlist Member

Received 791 Likes on 426 Posts

I used to play pick up games for several years a while back. Basically, a bunch of guys would get together and buy ice time and have at it for a couple of hours a week. Played Jr. hockey as a kid but after one season of getting up at 4:15AM for practice 2x/week it grew old fast.

As a kid I used to run home from school every day there was ice on the ITT pond (reflecting pool with concrete walls) and play until the sun set. I remember the best Christmas I had as a kid when I got a set of Daoust Comet Plus skates and a Koho hockey stick. Total cost about $40.

Still great fun to go out with my son and goof around during "stick and puck" sessions at the local rink.
Old 01-12-2009, 03:27 PM
Juha G
Rennlist Member

Received 63 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by vhanzon
I play icehockey as well . Or not so much anymore to be totally correct. I knew Keith played and I should have known that the finns were busy too . Great sport for sure. It's just, now that I don't play too often, I get stupid tired and need really really short substitutions to get it to work. I guess I need to start working on my conditioning... And less to boot..
Viggo, come summer, I'm gonna take my 993 with me and come and visit you in Stockholm!
We are currently building two small ice-going passenger ships for Waxholmbolaget at the shipyard here in Uusikaupunki. As you know, they have their head office at Strömkajen and I can allways find a reason to enjoy their hospitality. Then we can park our 993's (I'm sure you'll have one again in no time) next to each other and have a or two and drool at the beautiful Swedish gir... I mean scenery!
Old 01-12-2009, 05:11 PM
Trader220
Race Car

Received 91 Likes on 49 Posts

At 44 years old I have played since I was 6 years old. The last time I was off the ice for more then a couple of weeks was the summer of 1995. I play in an over 40 league, I play pick up Sunday mornings and I am a Coach with the little Flyers tier 1 aaa 1999 squad. When my family moved to philly in the late 1960s’ my father was a hockey fan so we had Flyers season tickets to the flyers from 1968 until I gave them up in 2003. I grew up watching the Broad Street Bullies, interesting times in hockey. I have found a team to play for in city I have lived including LA.
Old 01-12-2009, 07:04 PM
993c2cab
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have deep hockey roots as well being raised in Michigan.. played ice through college then started roller hockey, played 1 year in the now defunct RHI, for the Utah Rollerbees, have a cousin that played ten years in the pros, (John Blum) My skills are dwindling but still manage two nights a week. Got a game in a couple hours.
Old 01-12-2009, 07:31 PM
Trader220
Race Car

Originally Posted by 993c2cab
I My skills are dwindling but still manage two nights a week. Got a game in a couple hours.

Thats the thing that kills me too, this getting old thing really stinks. My mind writes checks which my body can no longer cash. Some nights its like running without 1st 4th 5th or 6th gear. Still to me there is not much greater than stepping out on a fresh sheet of ice or pulling a Bobby Orr and skating the length of the ice for an excellent scoring chance.
Old 01-13-2009, 01:59 AM
matt777
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I played goal for 25 years. I dislocated my shoulder about 5 years ago and haven't put the pads on since. I still have all my equipment just in case I feel foolish enough to get out there again one day.
Old 01-13-2009, 04:18 AM
2ndof2
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Glad to see we don't just have softball playin' wussies around here!!!!! j/k

Love takin' the ice at least once a week. Its a great game!

Hands down my favorite sport next to road and mountain bicycling.

All are great fun right up until something or someone unexpectedly crashes into you! I think you all know what I mean.....cars, trucks, Scott Stevens.....
Old 01-13-2009, 09:14 AM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Juha G
Speaking of which, I'm just about to head out of the door to go play hockey. My co-workers play every monday night and I'm going to start playing with them.

Petu, there is a team called "Finnish Lions" in South Florida. They practise every Wednesday and Saturday in Pompano Beach and play some series as well.
I went to their practise sessions a couple of times some 3-4 years ago. Too bad my work prevented me from ever committing to a schedule like that...
I started when I was six, always played as a goalie and quit at 16 when I wasn't selected to the National team camp. Always kept playing pond hockey during winters and oddly enough, started to play again in a league here in Miami. This time as a player though since my knees ****ed up in motocross can't cope with being a goalie.
I play twice a week, once in a men's league in Kendall and once 3-3 on a smaller rink here in MIami Beach, little 3-3 game is nothing to be sneezed at though, really fast paced and if it's good enough for Sergei Fedorov, it's good enough for me.
(during summers, he stays here and some times skates with us, very cool down to earth guy).

1st regular reason game tonight!

I've heard about that Finnish team, I need to get in touch of them and arrange a game.

Last edited by Flying Finn; 01-13-2009 at 09:48 AM.
Old 01-13-2009, 10:47 AM
Trader220
Race Car

This begs the question on the All Rennlist team in a mens tourney sometime!
Old 01-13-2009, 02:24 PM
Brett B
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great thread.

I started in middle school and played throughout high school, played a bit of club in college as well but wasn't good enough for the real team. Haven't been on the ice for a couple years, but would like to get back into a league sometime.
Old 01-13-2009, 06:19 PM
2ndof2
Three Wheelin'

I love it when some of the current or former NHL'ers come out to play in some of the pickup games in Simi Valley or the Los Angeles Kings El Segundo facility. I remember a summer a few years back when Darrin Quint joined us fresh off a Stan Cup win. One stride and he was down the ice. One quick flick and a wrist-shot as hard as your best slapper was ringing off the goal posts and in.....Wind it back a bit further....then there was the time a few years before that in a summer league game when some guy with the #99 on his back who pronounced his name Gretz-something or other and his buddy, some quick Russian guy with the last name Feder-something came out to skate. Yeah, good luck trying to take the puck from 99 or even thinking you could catch Serge, cause' neither one was going to happen!
Old 01-13-2009, 06:57 PM
Trader220
Race Car

Originally Posted by 2ndof2
I love it when some of the current or former NHL'ers come out to play in some of the pickup games in Simi Valley or the Los Angeles Kings El Segundo facility. I remember a summer a few years back when Darrin Quint joined us fresh off a Stan Cup win. One stride and he was down the ice. One quick flick and a wrist-shot as hard as your best slapper was ringing off the goal posts and in.....Wind it back a bit further....then there was the time a few years before that in a summer league game when some guy with the #99 on his back who pronounced his name Gretz-something or other and his buddy, some quick Russian guy with the last name Feder-something came out to skate. Yeah, good luck trying to take the puck from 99 or even thinking you could catch Serge, cause' neither one was going to happen!
In my youth, and I was a very good player I used to hang around the Flyers training rink and play pick up with those guys all the time. In our men’s league there are a couple of ex NHL'ers but since I turned about 38 I don’t play in the top tier league any more. I was always amazed at the how quick those guys accelerated.

Must have been fun being on the ice with 99, that’s a real treat. Mess was always my favorite player
Old 01-13-2009, 07:58 PM
gordo993
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ice Hockey in the winter and softball in the summer.

Left Wing for the St. Louis IceDogs. We play Hockey North America Division B3

Our team traveled to Toronto last season for the finals and won!! The St. Louis IceDogs are the reigning North American B4 Champions!!!
Old 01-13-2009, 07:59 PM
2ndof2
Three Wheelin'

I don't think you can be too old and play. This one guy I skate with on occasion in the Monday night pickup is in his 60's and played for the US National team back in the 60's. We call him "silky smooth" because he still has an incredible touch on the puck and still skates better than alot of the younger guys....just slower but his decision making is so much better. That pro defenseman Quint played with us for a month. And in that entire month he could not take the puck away from ol' silky smooth in a non-check game. I plan to play for many, many years to come.
Old 01-13-2009, 08:03 PM
2ndof2
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by gordo993
Ice Hockey in the winter and softball in the summer.

Left Wing for the St. Louis IceDogs. We play Hockey North America Division B3

Our team traveled to Toronto last season for the finals and won!! The St. Louis IceDogs are the reigning North American B4 Champions!!!
Nicely Done!

Well, I'll brag too! I have four division one and division two championships, numerous visits to the finals, and have always been in the top 25% in scoring in amateur beer league. Impressive no?

Edit: oh, and sorry about that softball comment in one of my earlier posts!

Quick Reply: OT: Any 993 owner's play Ice hockey?