993 Forum 1995-1998

993 RS Carpet Installation Guide

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2009, 11:42 PM
daltvater
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ninjabones
The center console piece was a real PITA. The supplied section from Apbiz did not correlate at all with this item. I basically used the removed carpet as a template and completed this section in two pieces. I folded the carpet back on itself at the midline seam and it looks great. Not sure if you can get away with doing this if you have the thicker "slivernit" carpeting. The second series of photos demonstrates how to make relief cuts and fit the front trim pieces.
I just finished the same job with the Charcoal Perlon kit from Bob at Appbiz and this center section carpet was included. Look me a while to figure it out but it was in there. The trick for me was to glue the top section first let that dry and then pull the remaining down onto the sides. Great right up! I could have used this 2 weeks ago! ha.
Old 01-05-2009, 12:17 AM
travanx
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

please post some bigger or more up close pictures!! that looks so nice. So where and how much was that kit? Without the bar, can someone still sit in the back seat?
Old 01-05-2009, 12:33 AM
Don Plumley
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Nice write-up, brings back memories (those that I didn't kill from the adhesive remover) when I did mine. I agree that the gap under the rear console is pretty big. Also advise not to trim the side of the tranny hump until you test fit the console, mine has a small gap.

Very nice looking, thanks for the write-up.

don
Old 01-05-2009, 12:56 AM
Nollie
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Thanks Glen! Being a few months behind you on the slippery slope is turning out to be very benificial. First the DAS bar now a nice write up on the RS carpeting which I'm planning in the near future. Now if I can just get you to sell me those supercups...

Originally Posted by Ag02M5
Nice writeup. Do you have any hints on installing the Rennline gas pedal?
Cheers.
RT
If I remember correctly there are two places you can bolt the pedal to the car, I chose the holes closest to the pedal due to the Rennline track mat getting in the way. I would've preferred the other spot since it seemed to line up with the throttle stop better. Next I took the supplied linkage and kept slowly cutting it down until it "felt" right to my foot. Once finished, I found that the pedal no longer hit the black plastic stop. I drilled a few holes higher and remounted it. Not sure what I'll do when I install the aluminum piece from Rennline, I was thinking of making something. What did you do for throttle stop Glen?
Old 01-05-2009, 01:19 AM
Gasser
Burning Brakes

Great Job. Been there done that. I did however get the respirator. I learned this from the first time I did this job. Its well worth the effort though. I changed my interior from tan to black. Love your cage by the way...

Old 01-05-2009, 02:17 AM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 90 Likes on 57 Posts

How much louder is the car with RS carpet and without the sound deadening?
Old 01-05-2009, 09:28 AM
ninjabones
Rennlist Member

Received 38 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Rob 97 993c2
How much does the carpet set cost?
how hard is it to install all the harness and seat belts?
The charcoal plush set was somewhere around $300 from Apbiz. I think the slivernit plush OEM style carpets are closer to $600. Installing eyebolts, drilling the pan, etc for 6-point harness installation is somewhat entailed. There are several threads on the forum with this information. However, I would recommend having a professional do it if you do not have experience.

Originally Posted by 007DT
Glen,

If you could do one thing different, what would it be?
In terms of the carpet install, I would have left some extra carpet material around the hump/center console. I would have been a bit more careful cutting around the cage mounting points. I should have used a respirator.

Originally Posted by Nollie
Thanks Glen! Being a few months behind you on the slippery slope is turning out to be very benificial. First the DAS bar now a nice write up on the RS carpeting which I'm planning in the near future. Now if I can just get you to sell me those supercups...
Sorry, keeping the supercups... but my friend Jeff (slv993) just sold a set a few weeks ago... where were you? Anyway, I didn't use one of the BK seat-back braces... so if you want it for your new bar, shoot me a PM with an offer.

Originally Posted by Gasser
Love your cage by the way...
Thanks... Mitch Piper did a great job. I'll be posting more details shortly.

Originally Posted by nile13
How much louder is the car with RS carpet and without the sound deadening?
Let's just say that with the cat bypass, supercups, Wevo engine mounts, solid tranny mounts, gutted sunroof, gutted doors, and carpet/sound deadening deleted... I would not drive without earplugs, and I have to be awfully carefull to keep the rpms below 3,000 if I'm anywhere near Mr. Policeman.
Old 01-05-2009, 01:11 PM
Stealth 993
Nordschleife Master

Received 208 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by ninjabones
That pile of carpet and foam in the first set of photos weighed 41 lbs.
The rear deck and rear quarter panels weighed 17.5 lbs
I'm not sure how much the stock door panels weigh, but I'd bet at least 30 lbs

I believe the RS carpet kit weighed less than 15 lbs.

So the net weight savings for a typical RS carpet and door panel install is likely around 70-80 lbs.

Individually, weight saving mods can be scoffed at; however, in the context of a more holistic approach... it all adds up. Other things that I've done: removed cat (24 lbs), removed stock muffs (38 lbs), replaced stock battery (35.5 lbs) with odyssey 925 (24 lbs), removed basket handle and stock spoiler mechanism (17.5 lbs), rear wiper assembly (4 lbs), rear seatbelts (??), stereo delete (?), deleted airbags (?), deleted stock steering wheel (?), deleted stock seats, removed lower dash portion, gutted doors and window mechanisms, removed headliner and gutted sunroof and welded sunroof back in place, removed visors, RS wiper reservoir, delete headlight nozzles and headlight wiper motor, delete trunk carpet, lightweight wheels, delete heater blower

So, approx 10 pound lost is one horsepower gained... am I on a level playing field with all you VRAM guys now
WOW, I didn't think the carpet would make that much of a difference! It does look really nice. So I take it the carpet is much thinner, & doesn't have a foamed back?

I hear ya on the weight loss every bit helps. I bet it much more perky then stock.

The bad part of V-ram, you will have the HP, but not that midrange torque. The last part of the rev band, is pretty much the same on both my cars. I think with a chip, cat delete, and some other things, you are doing over the V-ram stock 282.
Old 01-05-2009, 02:09 PM
David in LA
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow...this post makes me feel...inspired!!
Old 01-05-2009, 11:35 PM
Nollie
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

What was the decision point to go with the grey plush instead of the perlon felt or sliverknit? Would the thickness of the different carpets go in the order perlon -> plush -> sliverknit? Also, I don't see it in the pictures, can you see the patterns in the metal below the carpet with this kit? If this kit gives the same appearance (or close) as the sliverknit that costs twice as much it would be nice to spend that other 300 on RS door panels.
Old 01-06-2009, 08:55 AM
ninjabones
Rennlist Member

Received 38 Likes on 25 Posts

If you call Apbiz, the owner (forget his name, but very nice guy) will talk you through the options. I was going to go with perlon, but he talked me into the plush (glad I listened to him). Essentially, the Perlon is like a very thin felt. This is the stuff you see in a lot of the early model-year 911s. It is very hard to work with, tears easily, and dust/dirt just sits on top of it (no pile to trap the dirt/dust). The "plush" carpet is thinner and lighter than OEM. Has a more industrial appearance with shorter pile. The "slivernit" is similar to OEM carpeting with thicker pile. Without foam / sound deadening, all three are going to show some of the underlying metal contours. A lot will depend on how you do the installation. I've seen some guys meticulously press the carpeting into every ripple (most noticable on the rear hump with the horizontal ripples and along the forward edge of the rear seats). From my photos, you can see that I did not press the carpeting into every cranny in favor of a smoother finish.
Old 01-06-2009, 03:44 PM
V
Drifting

Originally Posted by Stealth 993

The bad part of V-ram, you will have the HP, but not that midrange torque.
Says the man with a DACH 200cell cat X-pipe to help push the midrange tq . Guess you don't have that problem anymore, huh Stealth?

Anyways, great writeup on the RS installation.

Has anyone done this retaining the stock insulation? Or gutting everything and putting some kind of thinner insulation underneath the RS carpet? Would the RS carpet fit on top of the insulation?

I am thinking of replacing the old isulation with some kind of thinner isolation material. It would make the weight loss a little less significant but better for the DD or at least make longer trips much more tolerable..
Old 01-06-2009, 11:18 PM
Stealth 993
Nordschleife Master

Received 208 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by vhanzon
Says the man with a DACH 200cell cat X-pipe to help push the midrange tq . Guess you don't have that problem anymore, huh Stealth?
The C4 is stock, the C4S has all the goodies installed! With the Dach & Fister mods, it lost a little low end.
Old 08-25-2011, 03:28 PM
appbiz
Track Day

Bob at APPBIZ here, beautiful install!
bob@appbiz.com
310-834-3600

Last edited by appbiz; 08-25-2011 at 03:29 PM. Reason: addition
Old 08-26-2011, 02:08 AM
camlob
Pro

Yes I am thinking about this install too. But looks like I would need lots of red bull!! LOL....

Quick Reply: 993 RS Carpet Installation Guide