993 Forum 1995-1998

Re-painting calipers

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2008, 03:04 PM
FisterD
Rennlist Member

Received 43 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by 95_993
Where did you buy the kit? Does it come with the decals?
I used the kit by Duplicolor. You can get get it at your automotive parts store (Kragens here in Cali). Decals are from Ebay. They come in a set of 6 (2 extras in case you make a mistake). High temp clear also at auto parts store. About $25 for everything.
Old 11-27-2008, 07:40 PM
Kigiin
Rennlist Member

Received 685 Likes on 380 Posts

+993, yellow is the ticket.
Attached Images  
Old 11-29-2008, 05:34 AM
Toga
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Mike, Jerry, Darin, thanks for you help! I should go for it pretty soon as the road are now salted and I won't drive the car for a while.
Delanobe, sorry if I "slightly" hijacked your thread. Good luck with your callipers. We'll compare our work at the next Francorchamps Porsche Days :-)
Old 11-29-2008, 09:20 AM
delanobe
Three Wheelin'

Received 218 Likes on 104 Posts

No problem JP :-)

Just read a thread about your VERY nice wheels but I'm a bit worried for you, have you checked this out?
Old 11-29-2008, 01:48 PM
2ndof2
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Black993
Whats the deal with the G2? I have some that I have yet to use. I've heard a different higher quality brush is a good idea?

thoughts?
My thoughts are it sucks (ok maybe being a little harsh but I didn't like the results)! The paint itself is glossy and great looking but it was nearly impossible to get the stuff on evenly without drips etc even with different paint brushes. I don't see how it can be done to look smooth. Also the idea of repainting them on the car is not a good idea. I think the instructions suggest you can do it that way but it would be nearly impossible to get them fully covered and not looking cheesy (at least with wheels off anyway). Best way IMO is pull the calipers, tape up the pistons, plug the hydraulic line openings, use a paint stripper (have fun), then use high temp primer, paint, and clear. Takes much longer to do but looks better in the end.
Old 11-29-2008, 02:09 PM
Ag02M5
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I used the G2 and thouht it was total crap. I don't think there is any way it can beat a spray on.

RT
Old 11-29-2008, 02:38 PM
FisterD
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 2ndof2
My thoughts are it sucks (ok maybe being a little harsh but I didn't like the results)! The paint itself is glossy and great looking but it was nearly impossible to get the stuff on evenly without drips etc even with different paint brushes. I don't see how it can be done to look smooth. Also the idea of repainting them on the car is not a good idea. I think the instructions suggest you can do it that way but it would be nearly impossible to get them fully covered and not looking cheesy (at least with wheels off anyway). Best way IMO is pull the calipers, tape up the pistons, plug the hydraulic line openings, use a paint stripper (have fun), then use high temp primer, paint, and clear. Takes much longer to do but looks better in the end.
I remember the trouble you had with yours. I did not use G2, but Duplicolor...maybe that makes a difference. Painting them on the car is super easy, and I didn't bother to paint the backside of the caliper (you can't see it). Finish came out very smooth and not "cheesy" at all. People who look at my calipers always comment on how great they look, and ask me if they are powdercoated. For $25 and a few hours of work, I would put them up against powdercoated or sprayed calipers anyday. You can't tell the difference.
Attached Images  
Old 11-30-2008, 12:19 AM
2ndof2
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by FisterD
I remember the trouble you had with yours. I did not use G2, but Duplicolor...maybe that makes a difference. Painting them on the car is super easy, and I didn't bother to paint the backside of the caliper (you can't see it). Finish came out very smooth and not "cheesy" at all. People who look at my calipers always comment on how great they look, and ask me if they are powdercoated. For $25 and a few hours of work, I would put them up against powdercoated or sprayed calipers anyday. You can't tell the difference.
So you're saying you'd take the Pepsi Challenge vs pwdr coated or spray on then? Thats a mighty bold statement my man!
Old 11-30-2008, 12:47 AM
FisterD
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 2ndof2
So you're saying you'd take the Pepsi Challenge vs pwdr coated or spray on then? Thats a mighty bold statement my man!
Isn't that how Michael Jackson burned all of his hair off....
Old 11-30-2008, 02:27 AM
2ndof2
Three Wheelin'

Are you sure it was really his own hair?

I enjoy a good thread hi-jack as much as the next guy but I suppose we should get back on point - anyone know what color our respectable thread starter is going to paint his calipers? I'm just dying to find out!!!!
Old 11-30-2008, 03:41 AM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 66 Likes on 55 Posts

There seems to be lots of negative comments about G2, but I can only go by my experience. The finish is really nice, no runs or drips, looks fantastic, and is wearing well. I liked the look better than another set of calipers where I sprayed them. It has to do with the "liquid" look of the finish...it's hard to describe and definitely personal preference.

Ag02M5 says its total crap. It would be a bit more constructive to say what was crap? Was it the application, or the final product? Hardness?

I avoided the spray paint route because I wanted a two part epoxy coating on my calipers. I felt that offered a harder finish but do not have the numbers to prove it either way.

At the end, its all personal preference. Done right, both methods look great.

Cheers,

Mike
Old 11-30-2008, 06:51 AM
delanobe
Three Wheelin'

Received 218 Likes on 104 Posts

The answer is yellow
Old 11-30-2008, 10:31 AM
murfysflaw
Wallflower
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'd also lean towards yellow. I have sliver and like it too, but it goes well with my car I think. I do like red, but personally, I think it's overdone and too common... not just the Porsche crowd because there aren't many around here... but the tuners and such.

Quick Reply: Re-painting calipers