Re-painting calipers

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2008, 11:49 AM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 66 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by Black993
Whats the deal with the G2? I have some that I have yet to use. I've heard a different higher quality brush is a good idea?

thoughts?
No tricks really. Clean, clean, clean, light sanding, clean, mix up the paint and brush it on. The stuff dries fairly quickly but its workable for about 4 hours. Do not worry about brush marks, they settle right out and the surface will be flat once the paint sets. (Its actually weird that way...but it works).

I used a medium quality 1" brush with very good results. Don't slop it on, you do not want runs, just do multiple fairly thin coats, one at a time letting it sit for a while to set between.

I did three coats on my calipers. Once dry (overnight), I tried the Porsche stencils and then painted through the stencils. I did not like the results, I am not sure if it was because of the paint, but it was hard to pull the stencils off without ripping the white label paint. I then cleaned off the white paint (a testament to the G2 product since there was zero damage to that paint) and used the stick on label type for the logo. I then coated the calipers with a few coats of clear high temp paint to seal it all in, and its been good since.

Oh, you don't have to do this, but I pulled my calipers to do this. Its easy for me, I have a full lift and all the tools. My original plan was to get them sandblasted and powder-coated, but the G2 method was much better.

Cheers,

Mike
Old 11-18-2008, 11:56 AM
Black993
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks Mike!
I had planned to pull the calipers for the job.

I also need to do the hubs where the wheels mount up. Will any high-temp black paint work for that you think?
Old 11-19-2008, 03:00 AM
Toga
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks for those infos Mike! When you say clear hight temp paint, what T° is high for the brakes? Is 650C° (1200F°) high enough?
Old 11-19-2008, 03:33 AM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Hi JP,

Yes, if you can find paint good for 650F, that will work no problem. Pure Aluminum melts around 660F, so if your brakes get that hot, you will have other issues than just the paint!!

I also use a high temp grey paint on the rotor hubs. I usually cut a round hole on a piece of cardboard to mask the disk, and tape the stubs. Actually, the brakes will wear any excess paint you get on the disks anyways so no worries there.

Cheers,

Mike
Old 11-19-2008, 04:50 AM
Toga
Three Wheelin'

Thanks Mike!
Old 11-26-2008, 12:08 PM
delanobe
Three Wheelin'

Received 218 Likes on 104 Posts

I'm going to re-paint them in yellow as they were.

Thanks for the help
Old 11-26-2008, 02:15 PM
FisterD
Rennlist Member

Received 43 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Black993
Whats the deal with the G2? I have some that I have yet to use. I've heard a different higher quality brush is a good idea?

thoughts?
Yes. Just get a better brush...like an artist brush. The first couple of coats will get you scared, because it wont look that good, but be persistant...by the fourth coat they smooth out really nicely. Mine came out fantastic! Just be patient....
Car up on jack stands, all wheels removed. Calipers cleaned. Start on one caliper and work your way around. By the time you finish the last one, the first is ready for it's next coat. Continue this process until you have at least four coats on them.
After they dry, and you apply the decal, hit them with a couple of coats of high heat clear. They will look great!
Old 11-26-2008, 03:13 PM
verboten
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

FYI - The yellow in the kits is not the factory yellow (sulfur yellow). It is brighter and more primary.
Old 11-26-2008, 04:13 PM
NP993
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

My suggestion is that you paint each caliper a different color. One black, one yellow, one red, one silver.
Old 11-26-2008, 07:51 PM
Ritter v4.0
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 46 Posts

yeller
Attached Images   
Old 11-27-2008, 11:46 AM
Toga
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by FisterD
Yes. Just get a better brush...like an artist brush. The first couple of coats will get you scared, because it wont look that good, but be persistant...by the fourth coat they smooth out really nicely. Mine came out fantastic! Just be patient....
Car up on jack stands, all wheels removed. Calipers cleaned. Start on one caliper and work your way around. By the time you finish the last one, the first is ready for it's next coat. Continue this process until you have at least four coats on them.
After they dry, and you apply the decal, hit them with a couple of coats of high heat clear. They will look great!
Hi Darin, did you make the four coat with only one kit?
I just bought one and I'm afraid this could not be enough...
Old 11-27-2008, 11:55 AM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

I did three coats and had left overs, which I used on another tool in the shop. There is more than you thought, I bought two kits because I thought it was not enough, and suprise, it was way more than I needed! (I still have a full one).

The brush I used was only medium quality, not expensive since you will toss it out afterwards. The work time was at least 2-3 hours, so you have plenty of time as well. Just do a coat, wait for a bit for it to tack up, do another etc.

I did not want a really thick paint coat either, that is why I stopped doing coats even if I had enough material to keep going. Once the paint sets overnight, put on the decals, clear coat it with a high temp clear paint, and you are done.

Cheers

Mike
Old 11-27-2008, 01:59 PM
jhubs
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mike gives the best advice! I followed instructions on this Forum and did mine with the G2 paint also. I just did 2 coats and they look great.

Photos:
1. The old calipers and black wheels.
2. The taped and sanded (400 grit wet/dry paper) caliper ready for paint.
3. The first coat of paint...yuck!
4. The second coat of paint...
5. The wheel and decals put on the finished caliper.

Prep and cleaning was very important! Cleaned them with orange cleaner and small wire brush first. The spray brake cleaner that comes with the kit is OK and I used it. After sanding the caliper surface, I cleaned the calipers with a small wire brush and mineral spirits, dried with a clean rag and began painting.
Prep and cleaning time was about 40 min. per caliper. Painted the first coat and waited 1.5 hours then the second coat. The second coat requied me to put the paint on thicker and brush it smooth quickly and leave it alone to settle and smooth itself out, don't over brush the paint. After 5 hours the caliper paint was dry and hard. Got the decals from eBlay. I'm pleased.
Attached Images      
Old 11-27-2008, 02:28 PM
FisterD
Rennlist Member

Received 43 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Toga
Hi Darin, did you make the four coat with only one kit?
I just bought one and I'm afraid this could not be enough...
Plenty of paint. I too, had leftover. Four light coats (two coats was not smooth enough), not an expensive brush, just better quality then the one that comes in the kit. I actually let mine sit a couple of days before applying the decal and high temp clear.
Attached Images   
Old 11-27-2008, 02:55 PM
95_993
Race Car

Received 501 Likes on 344 Posts

Where did you buy the kit? Does it come with the decals?

Quick Reply: Re-painting calipers