Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help, I think I need a SAI flush

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2008, 06:45 PM
2ndof2
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

After my car was worked on I didn't even try to do the drivecycle sequence and was surprised to find that all monitors but the oxy sensor were reset just from 3 days commuting to/from work. The smog ref said I could have had two not ready and still have passed. Hopefully it will be just as easy for you Jim but still would like to know what is causing your SAI code?
Old 11-04-2008, 12:12 AM
Hap
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

On my car it turned out that the SAI air pump had failed. First had the right bank code, many miles later the left bank code. After new SAI pump installed, all was well and no CEL light. New pump is not cheap.
Old 11-06-2008, 08:01 PM
MrRoboto
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

No prgress so far on this issue. No CEL light yet, but I don't believe my readiness codes have reset yet. Since resetting my CEL, I've been avoiding driving the car short distances and under 3k rpms.

I purchased the car with 63k on the clock and at the time, the oil consumption was about 1k every 1500 miles 90% city driving with a 7 mile commute; definitely not ideal conditions. The oil consumption is still about the same in city driving. I have never been able to asses oil consumption under more typical driving conditions, however, recently I took the car off daily driver duties so that might be feasible now. I've only put about 2k on the car since the 90k service back in Dec 2007 and I've added about 1.5 quarts of oil. Even after sitting for weeks, I rarely see the usual puff of smoke from the exhausts on cold start.

Since resetting my CEL, I've put about 280 miles on the car, all highway 3-6k rpms. Can someone link me to the drive cycle procedure? The one I know about is ridiculously tedious and I suspect not correct.

It sounds like a whole bunch of factors could be causing my SAI code...where/how do I start troubleshooting? I have to say though, in the 4 years I've owned this car, the only things I've had to replace are the brakes, alarm module, and lots of oil. I love this car.

Thanks everyone!
Old 11-06-2008, 10:45 PM
MarkD
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Jimmy,

There are various opinions on what drive cycle to use or how to get this done. This is what has worked for me. You really need an OBD II reader so you can see that the flags are being set. Driving like this is NOT easy
Note: This sequence needs to be done twice.
---------------------------------------------------------------
Start engine cold, idle for approx. 2 min, 10 secs.

Accelerate to 20-30 MPH, Maintain steady speed for approx 3 min, 15 secs.

Accelerate to 40-60 MPH, Maintain steady speed for approx 15 mins.

Decelerate and come to a stop. Idle in gear for approx 5 mins. No need to keep it in gear with a manual transmission.

Following the starting of the engine, the sequence of test conditions may be interchanged.

Routine will be discontinued whenever:
Engine speed exceeds 3000 RPM
Large fluctuations in throttle angle
Road speed exceeds 60 MPH
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Old 11-07-2008, 09:24 PM
MrRoboto
Rennlist Member

Mark, yeah the drive cycle I know about is very similar...I guess there's just no easy way, is there? Thanks for the feedback!
Old 01-15-2009, 04:03 AM
MrRoboto
Rennlist Member

Okay guys UPDATE time!

So i finally made the time to get my car back to a smog station. I hadn't seen my check engine light pop up I was counting on everything being ok after cleaning out my ISV valve...and guess what? I passed smog. Nothing wrong with the car! But the fact that I got the SAI check engine code this time around as opposed to the usual O2 sensor code bothers me. I hope it was just an anomaly, but who knows. Maybe my car is telling me to drive it more?
Old 01-15-2009, 10:36 AM
Schnell 911
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by MarkD
There are various opinions on what drive cycle to use or how to get this done. This is what has worked for me. You really need an OBD II reader so you can see that the flags are being set. Driving like this is NOT easy
Note: This sequence needs to be done twice.
---------------------------------------------------------------
Start engine cold, idle for approx. 2 min, 10 secs.

Accelerate to 20-30 MPH, Maintain steady speed for approx 3 min, 15 secs.

Accelerate to 40-60 MPH, Maintain steady speed for approx 15 mins.

Decelerate and come to a stop. Idle in gear for approx 5 mins. No need to keep it in gear with a manual transmission.

Following the starting of the engine, the sequence of test conditions may be interchanged.

Routine will be discontinued whenever:
Engine speed exceeds 3000 RPM
Large fluctuations in throttle angle
Road speed exceeds 60 MPH
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Thanks Mark for the information, I will give it a try today. Just failed (3)readiness codes. What a PITA. PS; Happy New Year, braddah!
Old 01-15-2009, 11:35 AM
MarkD
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by dgetz993
Thanks Mark for the information, I will give it a try today. Just failed (3)readiness codes. What a PITA. PS; Happy New Year, braddah!
hey!
Funny, as soon as I got my car running the reg was due and guess what? I need a smog check this year... since it had the batt disconnected I got to do the the drive of shame yesterday. It really is hard to drive this way.

Odd thing is, it only took one drive to do it on my "test track".
Good luck sir!
Old 01-15-2009, 12:38 PM
ibdavid
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

SAI = Sorry *** Injection!

I'm dealing with this right now too. I went ahead and made an appointment with the smog referee just as I did two years ago. What a PIA! Oh well, at least this only comes around every two years. The SAI bypass sure is tempting.
Old 01-15-2009, 06:25 PM
MrRoboto
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ibdavid
SAI = Sorry *** Injection!

I'm dealing with this right now too. I went ahead and made an appointment with the smog referee just as I did two years ago. What a PIA! Oh well, at least this only comes around every two years. The SAI bypass sure is tempting.
SAI bypass? hmmm...must not be legal.

Quick Reply: Help, I think I need a SAI flush