Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Turn off A/C before shutting off engine?

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2008, 10:26 AM
acastell
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Turn off A/C before shutting off engine?

Well, A/C is not a valid search term...and, searching 'Conditioning' posts brings up mostly trouble shooting posts...

For some reason, I have it in my head, that it is better for the 993 to shut off the A/C before shutting off the car? I know that most other cars on the planet today, with auto climate controls, do not require, or even recommend this turning off the a/c before shutting off the engine...

Any issues with simply leaving the A/C on (small snowflake button pressed in), always!

In winter (well, never really that cold here in Ca), when the weather cools or of course rainy days, having the A/C on dries the air in the car, preventing fog up.

Thanks all...
Old 10-21-2008, 10:51 AM
g_murray
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I turn EVERYTHING off, before I exit the car. (I even have the interior lights set to 'permanently off' on both doors). The only thing that stays (temporarily) on - is the climate control unit - which, eventually, switches itself off -- and, of course, the immobilizer, which I flick to 'on' as I maneuver to close the garage door. Net result - the only thing that's ever ON, when I'm not in the car, is the immobilizer.

G.

P.S. As one who flies, we are taught, from day one, to have *all electrical items set to OFF*, before starting the engine(s). In this way any 'spurious' voltages do NOT go to 'the electrics' (radios, transponder, etc.) during engine start. If I owned my own plane, I could be assured of this, but since I rent there's no guarantee that the previous 'renter' followed the checklist. Still, the basic point is 'the next time you start' that nothing electronic should be 'on'.
Old 10-21-2008, 11:03 AM
Denise993
Pro

In every car I drive I turn absolutely everything off also before I exit the car... mostly out of habit from my youth when I drove a series of crappy $500 cars that had such bad battery/alternator issues that you couldn't start the car if anything else was on.
Old 10-21-2008, 11:30 AM
Texas993
Race Car

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

I don't turn anything off. I did in my Ferrari, but they have crappy electrical systems.
Old 10-21-2008, 02:53 PM
Boeing 717

Received 264 Likes on 159 Posts

I have heard that the a/c system will get a surge when you crank the car if you dont turn it off, i dont know if this is true or not but on a couple of my hondas that have over 200k miles we have always turned the a/c off and the systems are still working well. Usually thats the first thing to go on a japanese car. So there may be some truth to it.
Old 10-21-2008, 03:01 PM
Novice
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

There is another reason why I trun off the AC at least a few minutes before shutting down the engine... For the purpose of drying out the moisture on the evaporator, to minimize the chance of mold growth.
Old 10-21-2008, 03:19 PM
Mike in Chi

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 177 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by Novice
There is another reason why I trun off the AC at least a few minutes before shutting down the engine... For the purpose of drying out the moisture on the evaporator, to minimize the chance of mold growth.
Ditto.
Old 10-21-2008, 03:20 PM
CADguy
Instructor

Yes, I have just heard about doing this. It is also supposed to reduce that "air conditioning smell" the next time you fire it up.

I turn everything off except the radio, which I leave on but turn down the volume.
Old 10-21-2008, 03:44 PM
993Maineiac
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 169 Likes on 113 Posts

+1 to the turn it all off crew. It reduces drain both at shutdown and startup.
Old 10-21-2008, 03:57 PM
2Many Cars
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Someone here probably knows for sure but I think the 993 CCU automatically shuts the compressor down at start-up. Most modern cars do this for the obvious benefit of faster cranking when you're not turning the compressor and pulling an electrical drain on the A/C clutch. Even on earlier cars most starting systems were designed to isolate the Acc functions when you turned the key to energize the starter so as to give full electical boost. While the small, marginal load on a just started cold engine may not be a big help, I would think the benefit of no electrical load after it fires is negligable as long as your battery and charging system are up to snuff.
Old 10-21-2008, 05:08 PM
acastell
Racer

May thanks all...off it is!
Old 10-21-2008, 05:11 PM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 2Many Cars
Someone here probably knows for sure but I think the 993 CCU automatically shuts the compressor down at start-up. Most modern cars do this for the obvious benefit of faster cranking when you're not turning the compressor and pulling an electrical drain on the A/C clutch. Even on earlier cars most starting systems were designed to isolate the Acc functions when you turned the key to energize the starter so as to give full electical boost. While the small, marginal load on a just started cold engine may not be a big help, I would think the benefit of no electrical load after it fires is negligable as long as your battery and charging system are up to snuff.
You are correct, just as the radio is interrupted when you start the motor.
Old 10-21-2008, 06:25 PM
Phil
Phlat Black Guru
Rennlist
Lifetime Member
- Times 2

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mike in Chi
Ditto.

ditto?

when was the last time you used your a/c?
Old 10-21-2008, 06:33 PM
BufordTJ
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Been doing this for years, and haven't had an A/C on my cars fail yet. My Tundra has 140K and is a 2000 model and the A/C is super cold. Plus mold stinks and makes me sneeze.
Old 10-21-2008, 08:41 PM
Rinty
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

...I think the 993 CCU automatically shuts the compressor down at start-up...2Many Cars
The compressor engagement is delayed 30 seconds or 10 seconds after engine startup, depending on outside air temperature.

Last edited by Rinty; 10-21-2008 at 09:09 PM.

Quick Reply: Turn off A/C before shutting off engine?