Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question OE Shocks?

Hi guys,

The car as purchased March 2008 :
- NA 1997 C2
- Zenith Blue Metallic/Midnite Blue partial leather
- 34k miles when new-to-me, now ~ 38.5k miles

Mods:
- H&R lowering springs (purchase documented, not install), lowered to RS spec. (as I measure)
- 18" Technology wheels (hollow, not documented), replaced opt. 17" Cups
- Sparco seats (model?, not documented)
- Clear Bra (documented)

The PPI that was performed prior to me buying the car stated that the Shocks were "OE (Bilstein Green)" and the Performance was "good".

I thought that the NA 993s came from the factory with either Monroe or Boge shocks. Is this correct?
What are Bilstein Greens, and could they have been OE?
It also seems odd that a PO (I'm the fourth owner) would install the H&Rs, but leave the shocks OE.

Thanks for any help with the OE shocks

Gary
Old 10-09-2008, 04:52 PM
RacingFlyer
Instructor

Originally Posted by CADguy
I thought that the NA 993s came from the factory with either Monroe or Boge shocks. Is this correct?
That is correct.

What are Bilstein Greens, and could they have been OE?
Don't know... Bilstein's colors are Blue & Yellow. May be after a while the colors mix up together which would make the schocks green
Old 10-09-2008, 05:14 PM
CADguy
Instructor

Originally Posted by RacingFlyer
That is correct.

Don't know... Bilstein's colors are Blue & Yellow. May be after a while the colors mix up together which would make the schocks green
Thanks for the reply RacingFlyer (Benoit?, great name, do you know Tab Benoit? Great musician!).

If these "Bilstein Greens" are not OE, and were put in when the H&Rs were, they are probably 8 or 9 years old. Maybe Bilstein made a "green" back then.

Gary
Old 10-09-2008, 07:01 PM
RacingFlyer
Instructor

Thanks for the reply RacingFlyer (Benoit?, great name, do you know Tab Benoit? Great musician!).

If these "Bilstein Greens" are not OE, and were put in when the H&Rs were, they are probably 8 or 9 years old. Maybe Bilstein made a "green" back then.

Gary
Yep, Benoit. It's my firstname, it's French for Benedict. Now why a Frenchman is living in Arkansas is a long story, which has no place here...

I can't remember if Bilstein changed their colors over time. May be somebody with more memory than me will chime in, hopefully.
Old 10-10-2008, 10:02 AM
TAI2
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The Monroes are green and at 37K they are shot. They generally don't leak but the internal valving gets clogged/gummed and the fail to dampen. I changed mine out at 27K and they were clearly shot.
Old 10-10-2008, 11:18 AM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 98 Likes on 50 Posts

Here is how a factory installed damper operates

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0WiNZVm997o
Old 10-10-2008, 12:00 PM
CADguy
Instructor

Originally Posted by TAI2
The Monroes are green and at 37K they are shot. They generally don't leak but the internal valving gets clogged/gummed and the fail to dampen. I changed mine out at 27K and they were clearly shot.
So it sounds like they might be the original Monroes. I'm now at 38k plus miles and they seem ok. There is no bounce or float, so I think that they are in pretty good shape, if not great.

Hopefully by the spring this economic downturn (crash?) will have recovered at least somewhat, then I'll most likely just put in Bilstein HDs.

Thanks for the reply

Originally Posted by chris walrod
Here is how a factory installed damper operates
Hey Chris, that's pretty funny . Do you think that shock came out of a running Porsche? Must have had pretty bad bounce and float!

In a 993 with H&Rs installed, can you use the old test where you push down on the front end and check for bounce?

Thanks,
Gary
Old 10-10-2008, 12:18 PM
TAI2
Rennlist Member

I did not have bounce or float either - I had a harsh ride (clogged valves = no fluid transfer = harsh ride)over bumps which is now a lot smoother. Good luck. BTW, a shock DIY is not bad at all.
Old 10-10-2008, 12:56 PM
CADguy
Instructor

Originally Posted by TAI2
I did not have bounce or float either - I had a harsh ride (clogged valves = no fluid transfer = harsh ride)over bumps which is now a lot smoother. Good luck. BTW, a shock DIY is not bad at all.
Ah ha, you know, that could be it!
My ride does seem kinda harsh. The HDs go in next spring!

Thanks
Gary
Old 10-10-2008, 01:14 PM
BufordTJ
Rennlist Member

I too wasn't convinced that the stockers were shot at just 30k miles. We'll after installing PSS10's I now know the truth. Harsh ride with slight vibrations after each bump. The doors seemed to rattle, windshield creaked, cab top frame rattled, not constant but just over the normal bumps. Now the car feels solid and I just thought it didn't bounce or float.
Old 10-10-2008, 01:21 PM
CADguy
Instructor

Originally Posted by BufordTJ
I too wasn't convinced that the stockers were shot at just 30k miles. We'll after installing PSS10's I now know the truth. Harsh ride with slight vibrations after each bump. The doors seemed to rattle, windshield creaked, cab top frame rattled, not constant but just over the normal bumps. Now the car feels solid and I just thought it didn't bounce or float.
So Travis, are you saying that the harshness pretty much went away with the PSS10s? I think I'll go the HD route myself.

Gary
Old 10-10-2008, 02:34 PM
BufordTJ
Rennlist Member

Yes! The car now feels like a new sports car. Stiff ride but but the dampened. Much more solid and controlable than before. IMO anyone who thinks 10 year old stock shocks arn't worn out are kidding themselves!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: OE Shocks?