Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Any BMW E46 M3 owners here?? Compare 993 to M3 please.

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2008, 03:08 PM
DJF1
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 59 Likes on 23 Posts

Its for sure your suspension. Get a good coilover setup and you will be amazed at the difference.
Old 08-21-2008, 03:46 PM
VNTGSPD
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I agree with the comments here about suspension as well. I think Bilstein HD with M030 or H&R springs make a nice setup. PSS10 would be nice but may be overkill for a daily driver on rough roads. Also, a larger rear swaybar will improve rotation although the suspension is so much better than the early 911 that it will still feel very composed. I am running the HD/H&R setup with a 21mm rear swaybar on my daily 993 and am quite happy. Sure wish I had your hears though!

For reference, I also have a '69 911 with a hot 2.4L in it and do feel that it is more fun than the 993. It's about 1000lbs lighter so it's no surprise that it is more tossable and definitely more involving than the 993. Unfortunately, I think you will realize that your '73 will lose alot of it's current appeal when the V-ram motor is done due to the excess weight in the rear. You can't make a huge change in weight distribution like and expect the change to be invisible. Bigger motor, bigger trans, bigger wheels/tires all equal more weight. No arguing that it will accelerate quickly though!!!

Spend a few more dollars on the right 993 suspension - it will be less than the taxes paid on an M3 purchase anyway.

Good luck with the '73!
Old 08-21-2008, 06:42 PM
nota_troll
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Here's what you need.

http://www.car-copy.com/carcopy/show...llZQ==#weitere
Old 08-22-2008, 10:49 PM
zooming993
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 4 Posts

I presently own a 95 C2 and a 02 E46 M3 and IMO they are both great cars. I have to admit I’m no expert when it comes to driving techniques or suspension setups, I just enjoy owning and driving well engineered cars. IMO each car has it strengths; the P-car excels in the area of handling/road feel and the M3 when it comes to speed and acceleration. Don’t get me wrong the M3 is no slouch when it comes to handling, it just doesn’t have the same fun factor as the P-car. The M3 has an upgraded suspension (PSS9) and the P-car stock suspension (US ride height). Both cars are driven for pleasure, not daily drivers or track cars. With this in mind the M3’s ride is a bit harsh (stiff) and that’s with the suspension set somewhere between stiff and soft. The P-car is more comfortable to drive and gives me better road feel. When it comes to performance the M3’s motor is a work of art. When it comes to acceleration the M3 will put you back in your seat and put a smile on your face every time. A couple other areas where I think the P-car is better are; interior/exterior fit and finish, superior interior materials and classic body lines. As for the M3; better A/C, better stereo, more creature comforts and better seats. If I had to choose one car over the other, I would choose the P-car, in fact, I’m thinking about selling the M3 since I rarely drive it. I hope this helped?

Quick Reply: Any BMW E46 M3 owners here?? Compare 993 to M3 please.