993 Forum 1995-1998

After all that Rolex Talk.....

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2010, 07:36 PM
Rinty
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What a waste of money...zone5
I see a watch enthusiast's purchase of a Rolex as akin to a model railroader buying a multi thousand dollar brass locomotive, or a philatelist buying a first day cover; i.e. it's a purchase that flows out of an interest.

As for "investment" value, I am indifferent as to whether the value of my 1974 GMT Master goes up or down, because I'll never sell it during my lifetime; I just enjoy wearing it.

And if the Rolex brand is associated with showing off how much money someone may have, my own watch doesn't seem to bother my friends and relatives.

If someone made a better car than a 993 for less than 1/5 the price, would you buy it? zone5
For me, relative "betterness" has little to do with my choice of a special interest car. The main factor is whether the car interests me. So if I was spending $10,000, I would get an MGB rather than a Miata, even though the Mazda is a better car.

Quite frankly, if I had unlimited funds and unlimited space to store cars, there are only a handful that I would buy, and none of them, except one, is particularly expensive.

Last edited by Rinty; 09-21-2010 at 10:14 PM.
Old 09-21-2010, 07:56 PM
Van1
Drifting

Received 64 Likes on 47 Posts

I'd love to own a Sub or maybe even a GMT someday. Until then I'll settle for my TAG 6000 Chrono, TAG Carerra Automatic, and 1969 Omega Speedmaster pre-moon. I don't look at Rolex's as status symbols at all but more as works of fine craftsmanship and appreciate the history of the brand. I appreciate the fact that Rolex along with TAG and Omega are always the official time keepers of high level sporting and auto events. Whenever I see a Rolex in person I take the time to admire and compliment the owner.

Too bad that Omega beat them out in NASA testing to become the official "Moon Watch".

Old 09-21-2010, 08:43 PM
bb993tt
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I remember Rolex's being called "tool watches". I think they're the ultimate "takes a licking and keeps on ticking" watch, and they do it with panache and style. I had one shot off my wrist in Viet Nam (Submariner) and replaced it with another one (GMT Master) as soon as I could score an R&R to Hong Kong. Have exited perfectly good airplanes in flight wearing one more times than I care to remember. Maybe I'm just old school, but they certainly do it for me.
Old 09-21-2010, 10:10 PM
H.H.Chinn
Drifting

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I guess I'm guilty of three "guilty pleasures". Some people buy Corvettes some people like us buy 993's. It's how you are as a person that matters the most.
Attached Images   

Quick Reply: After all that Rolex Talk.....