Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Sunroof liner question

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2011, 09:12 AM
DanL993
button queen

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is going in the file for the day when I need this great advice.

I love this place.
Old 07-06-2011, 06:59 PM
DanQ
Pro

Received 157 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by dmwallace
Just wondering if DAP Weldwood Contact Cement would work as a substitute for Pliobond - any adhesives experts out there? I did read through this thread and another one; preparing to order Pliobond from Aircraft Spruce but noticed that I have Weldwood around from another project.
I used hardware store contact cement. Will it last 10 years? Don't know, but it is probably the same as what porsche used. I'd say look for a high heat range as best solution.
Old 07-06-2011, 07:52 PM
dmwallace
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dan,

Thanks for the advice. DAP Weldwood Contact Cement is the hardware store variety contact cement. I also found some Seal-All (www.seal-all.com) today that says it is a "contact adhesive and sealant" that can be used on leather, interior panels, oil cloth, most plastics and fiberglass. So perhaps I will try Seal-All first.

Thanks again for the advice. I will post my experience once I try the repair over the weekend.

Regards,
David
Old 07-17-2011, 04:25 PM
dmwallace
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I did reglue the headliner to the panel yesterday. I did find Pliobond at a local Ace Hardware (3 oz bottle with brush top applicator) and used it. It was very easy to use as other posters described. I cleaned off the old cement with Lacquer Thinner first. I also used the wide wooden craft sticks from Michael's (looks like tongue depressors) and medium binder clips to clamp the edges after the reglue.

I'm ready to reinstall the panel, but could use some advice on how best to get it in since the removal was a bit of a pain. I also don't understand where the long thin plastic strips go. I found the right side strip when I was removing the panel but cannot locate the left side strip (assume it is left somewhere in the cavity close to the sunroof track but can't see it).
Old 07-17-2011, 09:21 PM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Received 646 Likes on 449 Posts

Originally Posted by mike cap
And stop at Starbucks for a latte.... they have the best wooden coffee stir sticks for this job....
I get a large pack at the dollar store...for a buck.

Quick Reply: Sunroof liner question