Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

New member would like advice on possible purchase of 993 Cabriolet

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2008, 12:16 PM
95FL993CAB
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If ever the words Caveat Emptor applied, they apply here. If after a member checks it out and the PPI is ok , fly down to do a final inspection. I have no experience with them, but from what I have read here and Pelican, they have nothing on the Twilight Zone
Old 07-01-2008, 02:37 PM
TAI2
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There are just too many bad experiences to put yourself in a position where the odds are against you. If they were the only ones to have exactly what you wanted and there was nothing else to even look at, then I would give them a shot. But as you can see, there are other choices. Don't be swayed by the low mileage either. I have seen sub 40K mile cars that on the surface looked good but ended up being dogs. It's hard to tell, but I would take a 60-70K mile car that was cared for (oil changes, no full throttle blasts until it was warmed up, .......) versus a 30-40K mile car without a history and sold by a dealer that has a terrible history. Good luck and don't just ask for a PPI - be specific. Somewhere on this site is a very comprehensive list of things to check.
Old 07-01-2008, 03:43 PM
Boston911fan
Pro

Thanks everyone for your advice. I have been monitoring all of the major 911 dealerships: Willhoit, Sloan, Weissach, Victory Motorcars, etc. I saw the C2 on Weissach's site, but Guards red is my 4th choice. Yeah I know it's a classic color and all, but I love blue, and have two other cars that are navy and tan. I should check out the one in Needham, as it's only 20 minutes away. However, the high mileage isn't appealing, although I get your point that low mileage cars are not necessarily problem-free either. I'm not giving up on the one at Victory Motorcars yet until I get a better idea of what's going on. I haven't even contacted them yet, so I'm still considering it an option. I'll keep you posted.
Old 07-01-2008, 03:54 PM
cabrio993
Race Car

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Stay away from Victory Motorcars...regardless of PPI.

Many nice cars out there being sold by reputable dealers to have to deal with Victory...
Old 07-01-2008, 03:56 PM
dcdude
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The best deals are right here. I bought mine off of a post in this very forum.

As far as dealers go, don't forget Holt Motorsports in the greater NE. Keep an eye on Pelican, Porsche Market Letter, Panorama, Craigs, cars.com and Ebay. I'd say be patient for a private party deal. Easy for me to say, I know, but if you're frugal like me, once you see the price differential, you may wind up "having" to wait for a private party deal.
Old 07-01-2008, 04:02 PM
goofballdeluxe
Rennlist Member

Received 150 Likes on 97 Posts

Just on principle alone, I could never do business with a lying, amoral scumbag, no matter what the product. I don't like the idea of putting food on the table of someone who would screw me over given half the chance. Just my 2 cents.
Old 07-01-2008, 04:05 PM
Falcondrivr
Race Car

Received 70 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Boston911fan
I haven't even contacted them yet, so I'm still considering it an option. I'll keep you posted.
I wouldn't get all worked up about that car then. There are soooo many stories about people calling on cars there to be told; "Oh, THAT car sold last week, I just haven't gotten around to removing it from the web site yet." Of course it's still there a month later.
For me, I'm with the group that wouldn't do business with a snake, even if it had the apple I was looking for. There are more cars out there. Be patient and the right car will come to you.
If you do decide to go with Victory, better pay your lawyer's retainer first, since he'll threaten to sue if you call him after the sale...
Old 07-01-2008, 04:21 PM
briefescape
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Me I just can`t wait for " Boston " to go check the car and then come back with the " story on it " . I love stories
Now taking bets what the story will be . 1) it`s sold 2 ) salvage title 3) we have a place we use for PPI 4) talk to my lawyer .

Cheers Guy
Old 07-01-2008, 04:33 PM
rome
Rennlist Member

I note that the car Boston is looking doesn't seem to be presented with service records (per the photos posted on the site), as many of the Victory cars seem to include.

There has been much said about the origins of some of those records, so I'm not sure if this is a good thing, or a bad thing for this particular car. It might be worth looking into whether the service records are available and see what kind of response you get.

A PPI is, of course, a must...but I think you can also tell a lot about our 993's by driving them. You know when a car feels great, and when it doesn't feel quite right (brakes, clutch, steering, performance etc.). I think the 993's are pretty sensory in this respect.
Old 07-01-2008, 04:41 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by cabrio993
Stay away from Victory Motorcars...regardless of PPI.

Many nice cars out there being sold by reputable dealers to have to deal with Victory...
^ +1
Keep looking.
Old 07-01-2008, 04:43 PM
allill
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Evan,

No matter who you buy the car from make sure you get a PPI. On top of that, I would go and see the car personally. If it ain't local, spend the money on a flight. Some people see things differently and your expectaions might not be the same as another's.
Old 07-01-2008, 05:04 PM
Boston911fan
Pro

The red one at Holt only has 19k miles on it. I'm also going to check up on a silver/black and a black/black one. I'm going to Copley Motors right now to check out the '98 with 72k miles. Seems a bit much mileage-wise, but it's worth the 20 minute drive.
Old 07-01-2008, 06:30 PM
vjd3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Holt is a MUCH better option than Victory. Tim will stand behind the cars he sells. Victory will, too -- as far behind you as possible, and threaten you with their pissant shyster if you squawk.
Old 07-01-2008, 11:19 PM
Boston911fan
Pro

Well, I went to Copley Motorcars, and saw the '98 Ocean blue C2 Cab, and it was literally a very expensive mouse nest. It looked pretty nice for 72k miles, but when I looked in the trunk, I found the pouch for the tonneau cover, and there was a mouse nest in it! Plus, the dealership's 3 license plates were not on site, so I couldn't test drive it, although I will go next week just to be able to test drive a 993. So, I'm still going to look into the Victory car, but I have a lead on another one, so here goes:

It's a 1998 silver/black C2 with 38k dealer maintained miles. It had its 30k service done. It has Turbo Twists which I am PRAYING are genuine and hollow spoke since I have a New Beetle Convertible 1.8T that has a hollow spoke twist wheel that has some curb rash on it, and I could transfer that wheel to the Bug. Yes, don't laugh--it has about 300 WHEEL horsepower--don't know for sure, but I'm having it dyno'ed in a couple of wheels. Anyway, back to the 993. It's owned by an enthusiast who has been storing it because of an overseas job, and it's somewhere in the Midwest. He wants $46k for it. Does that sound reasonable? How do I post pics? The seats look a little rough, and I've got a '95 BMW and a '97 Jetta with over 100k miles each, and BOTH have perfect leather....no cracks. Still though, it's enthusiast and dealership maintained, and it's a '98. Plus, it's NOT from Victory.
Old 07-01-2008, 11:40 PM
Boston911fan
Pro

One weird thing is that the owner had the top and the top mechanism replaced under warranty because of some small hole that developed. Sounds like it wasn't aligned properly. Oh, I just figured out how to post pics. Duh!

Plus. I forgot to mention that I found 993 RS Speedlines that are being refurbished. That's why I can take one of those hollow spokes and stick it on the Bug, if they are indeed hollow spokes and not Turbo look wheels.
Attached Images     

Quick Reply: New member would like advice on possible purchase of 993 Cabriolet