993 Forum 1995-1998

Just got deeply scr*wed....

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2008, 08:45 PM
psychoideas
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 38D
Matt - you really need to post some high pictures showing the flaws you claim. Until there is some "evidence", we have no idea if you are being reasonable, or a q-tip wielding psycho.

Hey!
Old 06-14-2008, 08:46 PM
early_grayce
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by K964
Everthing you hear on the internet is true, right?
Nice attitude.
Do I trust a Rennlister who's a somewhat regular contributer to not completely lie about the contents of a PPI and the status of a car?
Pretty much, yea.
Isn't that the point of this entire community and forum?
Do you not read threads and posts and form opinions and make decisions at least partially based on the opinions of other Rennlisters?

Until we see a copy of the PPI and see exactly what was disclosed, it is pointless to comment or question the accuracy of it.
How about waiting until ALL of the facts have been divulged?
I couldn't agree more.

FWIW, I have purchased 2 vehicles from Dan and have had his shop perform numerous upgrades to them. I am beyond satisfied with the level of professionalism, courtesy, and honesty that Dan and his entire staff have displayed. I'm sure his hundreds of satisfied customers would wholeheartedly agree.
That's great to hear, and I take your experiences, as well as others in this community, into consideration.

That's why I love it here!
Old 06-14-2008, 09:03 PM
DrJupeman
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by jdistefa
I wouldn't buy anything from Andreas unless it had been autoclaved.

Mark - I'm at work until 1am and I'm going to close this thread (if I can figure that out) at midnight. If you want, I'll email you the relevant correspondence.... K964 as well if you want to PM me.
My vote is keep the thread open. 18,400+ views in 2 days makes this one of the most read and active RL threads in recent memory.
Old 06-14-2008, 09:16 PM
psychoideas
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Lawrence_P,

Did the hood have that damage at the time you sold it?
Did the cabin leak water during the time you owned it?
Old 06-14-2008, 09:39 PM
Smiles
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Is Brad Penn better than Mobil 1?
Old 06-14-2008, 09:40 PM
TRINITONY
Rennlist Member

Received 249 Likes on 210 Posts

Originally Posted by DrJupeman
My vote is keep the thread open. 18,400+ views in 2 days makes this one of the most read and active RL threads in recent memory.
werd...
Old 06-14-2008, 09:52 PM
jdistefa
Rennlist Member

Received 447 Likes on 243 Posts

Problem is, almost 19k views and no ***** on this thread.
Old 06-14-2008, 10:00 PM
DrJupeman
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

38D did post earlier and his avatar has *****. Bouncing at that! At any rate, here are some courtesy of the "I'd Hit it" Thread:

Old 06-14-2008, 10:01 PM
Abby Normal
In Your Face, Ace
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

FYI - I'm closing this thread at midnight tonight .
Went from a daytime soap opera to a Cinderella fairy tale..
DC from Cape Cod
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 51 Likes on 32 Posts

I wonder if her carpet is wet...
Analog Theory
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Now that I've seen the photos I have an opinion. When our shop was asked to perform a PPI for an out of town buyer we understood that in effect, we were hired to be the buyer's eyes also and so approached the inspection with additional consideration based on his/her profile (we asked a lot of questions up front). We took extensive photos with specific emphasis on details ANY buyer (enthusiast) or otherwise would want to know (and for the record, you could eat of the floor of our tracks cars so it's absolute bull**** to say the condition of this car is average for a DE rig). Furthermore, we would weigh in on the purchase price based on condition as we often brokered cars for both street and track use. That's also why we referred buyer's for our own customer's cars to an independent and obviously objective 3rd party shop so as to ensure the potential new owner was treated with nothing less than the same expert analysis and advice as every single one of our customers enjoyed (proud to have anyone evaluate a car prepared by us). This is especially important for dedicated track cars as there is a big difference between normal track wear and damage or even neglect. Moreover, enthusiasts buy cars all over the world sight unseen because they have experts they trust advising them all the way.

In this case they buyer overpaid ONLY because his expectations weren't met which is a direct result of a disconnect between the buyer and the shop that did the PPI (which should NEVER EVER have been the seller's shop to begin with....I'd love to see that PPI write up and any photos they may have taken). The burden remains on the buyer to vet the information the seller provides as both acurate and complete, price is not relevant, it's his car, he can ask $1M and if someone wants it bad enough, they'll pay it.

The moral - Make absolutley certain whomever you have inspect a car you intend to buy sight unseen crystal clear on what you want and expect and report back accordingly. There are vastly differing buyer profiles out there and the shop needs to understand yours in advance.

And for the record, our PPI's cost $400 and there was not a single instance of he said he said because a thorough evaluation (with photos) is 100% unbiased - the condition of the car is what it is, it's our job to document it so in the end there's only he said and what clearly is (fact). And believe me there were many cars where we knew in 5 minutes were not only misrepresented but also clearly not what we knew the buyer was expecting such that the PPI ended there with a call to the buyer to say walk. (a highly modified Protomotive 993TT comes to mind...the potential buyer was so disapointed and happy at the same time). It's a no brainer best practice that's good enough for your average ford or chevy www.carchex.com and it's clear the buyer didn't get that here.

The seller obviously did well but deserves no blame. The buyer didn't get was he was hoping for which I think is a direct result of the agent he hired to evalute his potential purchase. The buyer however is 100% responsible I'm afraid for not setting expectations at that shop and for using the seller's shop in the 1st place (and that is NOT a knock against the seller's shop). That's textbook conflict of interest.

End of story, move on.
Old 06-14-2008, 10:06 PM
jaydubya
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dude - nice work! You just shaved like 50 lbs off your track car!

Seriously, I don't know how that stuff could be that we unless the car was recently exposed to a heavy rain with the windows down, or it got wet before or during storage and then the windows were left up. In either case, for a track car you don't want all that kindling around you anyway.

One thing I've learned from 13 years of tracking my car - looks don't matter. I used to fret every time I got a new rock chip on my car when I first started tracking it. I'm so glad that period is over.

You may have over-payed, or not, but having a track car with a new motor and good mechanicals is a great feeling. When is your first track day with it?

I'm Salma! Check out my *****, yeah!
Old 06-14-2008, 10:18 PM
Abby Normal
In Your Face, Ace
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by DC from Cape Cod
lol

Old 06-14-2008, 10:18 PM
CarreraX
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 29 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by DC from Cape Cod
I doubt there is any carpet.....
Old 06-14-2008, 10:19 PM
Marv
Rennlist Member

Received 994 Likes on 528 Posts

Okay. So you got a bad buy. Think of this. There are couples out there that have a baby and the doctor tells them the child has down syndrome, or some other horrible condition that the family has to live with for the rest of their lives. Or the child is terminal...

The point is, sometimes life dishes out something you don't want or like. It flies in the face of your plans.

Well, it's just a car. Maybe it didn't fit your plans, but life isn't always what you plan it to be. Sometimes it isn't what you plan.

So, drive the crap out of the car. Meanwhile, think about what you might do to make the car special in a way that you didn't think of. Add mods, do a new paint, throw in a wing or whatever.

My point is, you look at this as a tragedy. Okay, you had your cry, now take a long look at this as an opportunity. How can you make this better and come out ahead?

Think about the parents that have that unexpected child with a permanent disability. Now just how bad is your situation? Sometimes God doles out something that looks like a horrible punishment. Maybe it is a blessing in disguise. However, it's your choice. You can feel sorry for yourself or you can take a bad deal and make it into something great.

Choose.

Quick Reply: Just got deeply scr*wed....