Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Just got deeply scr*wed....

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2008, 03:29 PM
FlatSix911
Nordschleife Master

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Matt, thank you for posting the photos....

... based on the apparent water damage I think that you have a legitimate issue with the SHOP that supposedly stored your car indoors over the winter months.

Consider going after them for the $250 per month storage fee and Good luck
Old 06-14-2008, 03:41 PM
DrJupeman
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Was this car transported to Canada in an open transport? Window left open? That wet interior is super weird.
Old 06-14-2008, 03:55 PM
Wilder
Rennlist Member

Received 4,782 Likes on 1,706 Posts

Matt, while your disappointment about how the car was cared for by the PO have merit, it does seem as though the water and rust damage could've happened while the car was in storage or during transport. Have you discussed this with Larry and/or Dan?
Old 06-14-2008, 04:04 PM
jdistefa
Rennlist Member

Received 447 Likes on 243 Posts

LJ et al,

Well, as you can see from these further pics, there's evidence of pretty long-term water damage. And to my increasing disappointment, it's pretty clear that there's tub damage - the car has certainly been dinged in the front end (picture #3).

Both Larry and Dan's shop assured me that the car had not been in an accident, so I guess the phone calls are going to start on monday. Maybe the title I chose for the thread wasn't so wrong after all. At least I kept all the emails and paperwork....

Last edited by jdistefa; 06-14-2008 at 04:43 PM.
Old 06-14-2008, 04:19 PM
six gun
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[QUOTE=jdistefa;5511119]LJ et al,

Well, as you can see from these further pics, there's evidence of pretty long-term water damage. And to my increasing disappointment, it's pretty clear that there's tub damage - the car has certainly been dinged in the front end (picture #3).

Both Larry and Dan's shop assured me that the car had not been in an accident, so I guess the phone calls are going to start on monday. Maybe the title I chose for the thread wasn't so wrong after all. At least I kept all the emails and paperwork.... ?

Matt,

After seeing those pictures I would go after that shop that did the PPI, I do not care what his rep. is, that is just plain wrong! How could what you have shown us not be in the report? sombody greesed the skids on that one.
How many independent shops have you been in that have room for inside storage? I can't think of one.

[
Old 06-14-2008, 04:47 PM
tony soprano
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's a shame these days that people have set the bar for ethical behavior at merely "doing nothing wrong". Whatever happened to doing what's right?
Old 06-14-2008, 04:52 PM
gonzilla
Rennlist Member

Received 98 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by tony soprano
It's a shame these days that people have set the bar for ethical behavior at merely "doing nothing wrong". Whatever happened to doing what's right?
Nicely put.
Old 06-14-2008, 05:00 PM
K964
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Bull
How can you draw conclusions about what anyone did, let alone the seller and the owner of a long established, well respected service facility, based on what somebody wrote on the Internet.

So if anyone posts something negative about you and your "honor", we should believe it because we read it on the Internet, completely dismissing any positive reputation you may have built over the years.
+964. To quote the great John Wayne, " It's getting to be Re-God-Damn-diculous".

Seller did nothing wrong but get a nice chunk of change for his car. Those that are questioning the integrity of Dan Jacob's shop are way off base. There is more to this ****storm that we do not know about........
Old 06-14-2008, 05:02 PM
The Brewmeister
Rennlist Member

Received 38 Likes on 33 Posts

Good grief, what a mess... There's definitely some long term water issues
there.
Old 06-14-2008, 05:13 PM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Are you f_______ kidding us? A so-so repair of a nose kiss, who knows how many years ago? A track rat car that has a little road rash on the trailing edge of the wheel wells? Should I post pics of some of my track wheels? Look 2-3X worse than those.......

My RSA sat outside for a pretty normal CA winter in the backyard, and I had to extract water out of it.

The swaybar one is what I can't help but just laugh at. Maybe the arrive 'n drive crowd can have white gloved crews obsessing over every valve stem cap being positioned correctly, with the right tool. In the real world, you've just come from instructing back-to-back, you want to get SOME time in your session.........and oh yeah, it was pushing a bit today. Sometimes you grab what's efficient.

5 minutes.........no, 2 minutes.........of a personal inspection would have had YOU walking away. Which is fine. Everyone has different standards for cosmetic things. But damn, compared the number of totally trashed and bandaged back together cars I've seen over the years?
Old 06-14-2008, 05:28 PM
38D
Nordschleife Master

Received 787 Likes on 401 Posts

Originally Posted by race911
Are you f_______ kidding us? A so-so repair of a nose kiss, who knows how many years ago? A track rat car that has a little road rash on the trailing edge of the wheel wells? Should I post pics of some of my track wheels? Look 2-3X worse than those.......

My RSA sat outside for a pretty normal CA winter in the backyard, and I had to extract water out of it.

The swaybar one is what I can't help but just laugh at. Maybe the arrive 'n drive crowd can have white gloved crews obsessing over every valve stem cap being positioned correctly, with the right tool. In the real world, you've just come from instructing back-to-back, you want to get SOME time in your session.........and oh yeah, it was pushing a bit today. Sometimes you grab what's efficient.

5 minutes.........no, 2 minutes.........of a personal inspection would have had YOU walking away. Which is fine. Everyone has different standards for cosmetic things. But damn, compared the number of totally trashed and bandaged back together cars I've seen over the years?
+1

Exactly why I wanted to see the pictures. Looks like a functional DE car to me. Is it pristine? No. But that is where a personal inspection should have come in (or at least a request for lots of pictures).
Old 06-14-2008, 05:30 PM
six gun
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by race911

Well there you go Matt, looks like you may have a buyer here!
Old 06-14-2008, 05:31 PM
DWalker
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

FWIW-

I agree the seller (Larry) is not nec to blame here for much more than maybe his perception of a "DE ONLY car" vs the buyers view of same.

The hood damage pictured IS a bit troubling but again, this is something I would have expected to be noted on the PPI, along with the bad seals etc. However, since we havent seen the PPI report, we have no idea if it was noted or glossed over or simply completely ignored.

My guess as to the water damage is that the windows were left down, water got in, and presto, instant rust in that NorthEast area of our country. Honestly from those pictures I could not render a verdict as to "long term" water damage or not. I suspect the spare tire was put in only at the time of sale since if I were DE'ing a car I certianly wouldnt leave the spare up front, and I cant think of anyone who would more than once. I can however easily see it sitting in the corner of the garage or etc for quite some time.

Whether or not the shop is responsible for the water damage is also hard to determine, since we do not know if it was shipped and if so how was it shipped. For all we know the new owner towed it home on an open trailer and forgot to roll the window up all the way. I once knew a fellow who did this and actually ran the car and trailer through a car wash on the way home. The car was left parked on the trailer for a couple of weeks and the resulting mildew smell was simply unbelievable.

Also, to all those harping on the shop for the PPI, heres a couple things to think about:

At the time the PPI was made the battery and ball joint may have been OK. Well after 4.5 months in a 993 pretty much any battery that isnt pretty much brand new is going to go **** up, unless some form of float charger is used. Not the shops fault unless they said they would do it as part of the storage service. The balljoint may have passed the PPI, but when the EVO uprights went on it may have been felt by the technician doing the job that it simply was a false economy to put it back on. In other words, it was servicable, but pulling it off without replacing it was stupid. Obviously the technician in this case is not stupid and knowing this is a track car he felt like not seeing you dead or horribly maimed in a ball of fire after your balljoint failed. To me you should sent that shop a letter expressing your very deep thanks they cared enough to take care of your ungrateful self despite the very rude way you are treating them now.

Now to the OP, as far as I can see you bought a used car you knew had been on track. Assuming youhave been on track I am certian you are aware that these cars can take a beating, especially at the gravel quarries that pass for racetracks in the northeast? I find it a credit to the original owner that he had the front of the car protected with PPF and apparently did a decent job to take care of his track car.
The mods are tasteful and apparently it is as claimed, a reliable, capable DE car, so go have fun with it.
Old 06-14-2008, 05:38 PM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by six gun
Well there you go Matt, looks like you may have a buyer here!
Ha ha.........but you don't know how I can pick apart a car as I come up on my 28th anniversary of 911 ownership. Doesn't mean I'll chisel someone down, just determine it's not the car for me and leave it for someone else.
Old 06-14-2008, 05:48 PM
jdistefa
Rennlist Member

Received 447 Likes on 243 Posts

Originally Posted by DWalker
To me you should sent that shop a letter expressing your very deep thanks they cared enough to take care of your ungrateful self despite the very rude way you are treating them now.
Yes, I've been on the track. Your guesses about the rain source are interesting... were you there? The car was driven home in 9 hours with the windows up.

I'm not treating the shop in a rude way at all, in fact I've been very careful to leave Dan out of this thread (to answer someone else's query, there were 8 cars being stored in his shop on racks when I was there). However, having specifically asked about accident damage to both the PO and re. the PPI (did you read anything I've posted?), I feel let down by the discovery of very obvious front tub damage, however "minor" it may be. Feel free to comment if you think this is in some way unreasonable.

Far from being ungrateful (thanks for the personal characterization), I in fact thanked Dan for being gracious in the face of my being very pissed when I got the car, and I was pleased that his tech was careful enough to both note and replace the ball joint. Having just bought ball joints for my existing 993 as a piece of mileage and safety-based preventative maintenance, the issue on this car again points to the overall lack of care.

Clearly, there are some that are simply not going to agree with me, and I'm ok with that. In fact, it has been helpful to read re. gaining a different perspective. However, I'm interested "new user" - exactly who are you?

Last edited by jdistefa; 06-14-2008 at 06:19 PM.

Quick Reply: Just got deeply scr*wed....