Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2008, 02:47 PM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by goldcountryboy
pictures, please. please.
You want pictures of "high horsing, hypocrisy and athletes' foot"???? This is a weird thread!
Old 06-14-2008, 03:01 PM
jdistefa
Rennlist Member

Received 447 Likes on 243 Posts

Here we go.

To clarify for a few people here, I live in Canada, bought the car online, on the phone, PPI from Dan. Hence the 4.5 month delay. I would have had it shipped but for the past month there have been no available transporters (I've tried) due to the return of Canadian snowbirds from Florida. I would encourage anyone else interested in the timeline to re-read the thread before posting further opinions/supposition.

I've stated the appearance of the car accurately in good faith as well as the PPI findings. I have no doubt that the car is mechanically sound other than the issues outlined in the post-PPI EVO instal. To respond re. the ball joints, they do not have to be replaced after upright installation - in this case, only one was replaced. Small detail, but an inaccurate piece of feedback from the bleachers.

Randy - if you're still reading this (and haven't had a seizure yet) I think you should deep six the thread after today. Again, I really do appreciate all the replies, even the rather blunt ones from people I have had no previous communication or dealings with. To reiterate for the last time, I have repeatedly admitted to the fact that I could have done a better job re. due diligence with buying. However, this is not "buyer's remorse", but rather "buyer pissed off".

Thankfully, I can absorb the money loss, and I'm very lucky in that regard. My job exposes me to people in great distress, so in the big scheme of things this situation is a big nothing. But, the money stands for something symbolic, as does the general condition of the car.

Enough, here are the pics:

Soaked contents, passenger side:

Trunk puddle & rust:
Old 06-14-2008, 03:03 PM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by early_grayce
So many "bottom lines".... I thought I'd chime in and give my 0.02 cents.

.................the part that hurts is that the seller misrepresented the car (at least from what we can tell). ....................

.......................... For a Rennlister not to do everything to make a transaction honest, smooth, and as trouble-free as possible kinda sucks. Again, details unknown.

.................................... store it in a (formally??) reputable garage for 250$ a month. I can't possibly imagine how the seller could have soaked the car and it still be wet 6 months later. It must have been an issue with Dan's garage. I can tell you I'd never store a car in Dan's garage after reading this thread...

- I'm not familiar with the legalities, but from the limited info we've read, I would think there could be a strong case. Whether it's against the seller or the garage is in the details which we have no clue about, so it's not for us to judge.

How can you draw conclusions about what anyone did, let alone the seller and the owner of a long established, well respected service facility, based on what somebody wrote on the Internet.

So if anyone posts something negative about you and your "honor", we should believe it because we read it on the Internet, completely dismissing any positive reputation you may have built over the years.

BTW, if the buyer didn't buy a WHITE car, he is totally suspect!
Old 06-14-2008, 03:04 PM
jdistefa
Rennlist Member

Passenger side hood support beam (good side):

Driver's side - appears bent before painting, hence the rust & water in the trunk:
Old 06-14-2008, 03:06 PM
jdistefa
Rennlist Member

All the wheels look like this, again not as pictured in the original posted pics/communication:

Rocker panel, gravel and rubber has been cleaned out:
Old 06-14-2008, 03:08 PM
DaveM993
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jdistefa

Randy - if you're still reading this (and haven't had a seizure yet) I think you should deep six the thread after today.
Matt - As the OP you CAN CLOSE the thread yourself...you don't need a mod to do it...
Old 06-14-2008, 03:12 PM
jdistefa
Rennlist Member

Etc...

This is my favorite, just a small thing, but it indicates the level of care with every aspect of the car - why use a wrench when you can just use vice grips to adjust the strut bar? LOL... almost:
Old 06-14-2008, 03:15 PM
Alfie
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Rennlist Member

Just a couple questions from the peanut gallery:

1) did you pick the car up, or have it transported? If transported, who was the shipping company, and how long did they have the car?

2) have you spoken to the PPI shop? I have a very hard time believing that, even if the PPI was only a mechanical eval, noting the water and bent hood piece would have been quite easy.

I'll leave the rest of my opinions out....
Old 06-14-2008, 03:15 PM
jdistefa
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Sean993
I knew an English guy here in Tampa years ago who was factory trained in England to work on Rolls Royces, he had an idependent dealership in Tampa where he sold Rolls Royces, he sold a wrecked one to a local Italian doctor, who later found out it was a salvage job. The Dr knew a local family here and put out a hit on him. This guy left the country for a couple of years till he smoothed things out. True story, even though it sounds like an urban myth.
I believe in capitalism and due diligence, but you also never know really who your selling to, some people aren't going to just sue you. So even if you don't feel compelled as a seller to have any moral responsibility in the transaction, self preservation although lower on the pyramid of hierarchial needs is also a good reason.
I'll finish with this one, because it is good advice in general and made me laugh (thx Sean )....

I'm Sicilian and a doc. Most of my extended family lives in upstate NY. Some are in the military, some are in gov't, and some are... not.
Old 06-14-2008, 03:16 PM
early_grayce
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Bull
How can you draw conclusions about what anyone did, let alone the seller and the owner of a long established, well respected service facility, based on what somebody wrote on the Internet.

So if anyone posts something negative about you and your "honor", we should believe it because we read it on the Internet, completely dismissing any positive reputation you may have built over the years.

BTW, if the buyer didn't buy a WHITE car, he is totally suspect!
I agree, and I was just offering my opinion after reading 21 pages of opinions. I did try to be fair and mention that the details are unknown. I'm also a bit partial because like the buyer, I'm Canadian
But honestly, I/we shouldn't fault the seller in any way without knowing the details. It just leaves a bad taste in my mouth, and certainly a very dirty car is not a nice way to sell a car to a fellow Rennlister. I agree it's a trivial point, but it adds to the overall impression of how the car was treated.

I also put in "formally??" with two question marks because you're right, we don't know any of the details.
What I do know is that if a car is stored *inside* a garage for 5-6 months, it shouldn't be soaking wet when I pick it up.
Old 06-14-2008, 03:17 PM
jdistefa
Rennlist Member

I'll let the peanut gallery/court of opinion have their way with this since I've posted the pics as requested- then I will close the thread today.
Old 06-14-2008, 03:21 PM
Dan V
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Congrats on the new acquisition!

Enjoy it in good health!
Old 06-14-2008, 03:26 PM
centerpunch
Rennlist Member

Received 270 Likes on 123 Posts

My last post! (Hold your applause.)

Just to be clear, you have owned the car since January, and took those pictures in the last few days, right?
Old 06-14-2008, 03:27 PM
early_grayce
Burning Brakes

Enjoy the fresh engine, and have fun with the car!
Don't wince when you get some curb rash or a big rock chip, just have a blast.
Old 06-14-2008, 03:28 PM
Bearclaw
Three Wheelin'

Location: Seattle xburb - I can't see the Emerald City, but I know it's out there somewhere
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nobody likes to lose money, or feel like they got cheated. But it sounds like you make enough money to absorb the potential loss without much injury, and smart enough to know that "feeling cheated" is something you can chalk up to a life experience, and shrug off. If you can't live with the way this has turned out, put some lipstick on this one, move it out, and as I suggested 18 pages ago, move on and find a better one. Certainly you have bigger things in your life to be concerned about than this thing.
I guarantee you'll feel better in the long run.

Quick Reply: Just got deeply scr*wed....