993 Forum 1995-1998

Just got deeply scr*wed....

Old 06-13-2008, 05:29 PM
guards red
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Louis J.
+1

guards red: A bit OT but is that your GT2 in our avatar? If so, I have to say that your car is the sexiest 993 I have ever seen and considered doing a color change on my car to that same Audi RS blue.
Louis J, I wish. The thing's a beaut though isn't it? It's quite famous here in Blighty, lots of people in the community know of it. Bit sad having someone else's car as an avatar. but its as close as I'm likely to get unless I win the lottery or start selling body parts.
Old 06-13-2008, 05:30 PM
Wilder
Rennlist Member

Received 4,779 Likes on 1,703 Posts

Originally Posted by centerpunch
You mean the "situation" where the buyer wants to blame someone else for his mistakes?
No, I mean the situation where the buyer takes full responsibility for his actions but you continue to assume that he is trying to blame someone else. Anyway, I've been reading your posts and based on them, this is where I stop replying to you. Cheers.

guards: I hear ya. I'm sure lot's of people salivate at the thought of that car but according to the owner, it's not for sale at any price. Everything has a price but I bet the number would be astronomical.
Old 06-13-2008, 05:31 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 496 Likes on 320 Posts

Matt made mistakes, no question, but what in the hell happened to the honor of Rennlist??? That is the crux of the matter, regardless if Matt should have done a better job.
Old 06-13-2008, 05:34 PM
centerpunch
Rennlist Member

Received 270 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by Matt Davies
Or at least without getting some clueless cartoonist to kick the tires first...
Hey, thanks again for that! (I'm in Cincinnati, and 1/07 I was interested at a 96 C4 at a Porsche dealer in New York. Matt gratiously offered to go give it a look-see. He looked at the car, rode in it with the dealer, then emailed me his thoughts on the car. I then chose to fly to NY, inspect and drive the car myself, and bought it!)
Old 06-13-2008, 05:38 PM
centerpunch
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Mark in Baltimore
Matt made mistakes, no question, but what in the hell happened to the honor of Rennlist??? That is the crux of the matter, regardless if Matt should have done a better job.
I honestly do not know what you guys are talking about.

The buyer owned the car for six months before deciding he didn't like it and is now trying (and apparently succeeding) to start a sh!tstorm, based on........ what?

How long is a seller supposed to wait before he can safely assume the buyer is happy?
Old 06-13-2008, 05:41 PM
centerpunch
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Louis J.
No, I mean the situation where the buyer takes full responsibility for his actions............
Titling this thread "Just got deeply scr*wed....." is taking full responsibility for his actions?
Old 06-13-2008, 05:44 PM
Wachuko
Professor of Pending Projects
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

The learnings here are:

0. Do your homework... have your inspection list ready, there are many on the net and magazines from time to time list those... I have mine from Excellence on the 993...
1. Buy locally when you can.
2. If buying remotely, get as many photos from the seller (recent photos).
3. Get a complete PPI (here they only provided a mechanical PPI).
4. Have a 3rd party inspect the car. And take even more photos.
5. Condition the sale to your final inspection when picking up the car.
6. Run a CarFax if available. Will not cover you 100% but is just one more data point.
7. Get a list from the seller on what is included with the car.
8. Dedicated DE cars will have scars... don't expect pristine cars.
9. If the person is part of a forum. Check his/her threads. The threads will provide a history of the car, changes, mods, photos along the way, etc. I really love when someone is selling his/her car and goes back to delete their threads... you think I will be willing to buy something from that person? Not the case here...
10. Check the market values for similar cars so you go into a deal fully understanding what range a car will be based on condition...
11. If after doing all this, you buy the car... it is OK to vent in your favorite forum of what a bad deal you made... if that helps with coping with the issue, great, we are a great moral support group.

My dad always say that you pay for what you learn... nothing is free....

As someone else said some 12 pages ago, learn from it, and move on.
Old 06-13-2008, 05:50 PM
Davies
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey, thanks again for that! (I'm in Cincinnati, and 1/07 I was interested at a 96 C4 at a Porsche dealer in New York. Matt gratiously offered to go give it a look-see. He looked at the car, rode in it with the dealer, then emailed me his thoughts on the car. I then chose to fly to NY, inspect and drive the car myself, and bought it!)
I would have happily gone to look at Matt's new "potato" if asked, too. I have to say a ppi PLUS a reputable Rennlistoid eyeballing is a must. Perhaps we should start a geographic data base of willing tire-kickers...
Old 06-13-2008, 05:52 PM
six gun
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[QUOTE=Louis J.;5508828]No, I mean the situation where the buyer takes full responsibility for his actions but you continue to assume that he is trying to blame someone else. Anyway, I've been reading your posts and based on them, this is where I stop replying to you. Cheers.

Starting a web with "just got scr*wed " it does not sound like you are asuming responsibility for your actions. The seller has moved on and spent the money, what would you have him do now? If the regret had taken place right after the money had changed hands, the seller would have had more options.
Old 06-13-2008, 05:55 PM
cabrio993
Race Car

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

But not once have I blamed anyone but me for my mistakes.
So, I guess if you happen to make a wrong turn and stumble in a bad part of town and you get beaten and robbed, you are the one to blame for your mistake? Please...

And, if someone takes advantage of your trust, are you the only one to blame for being so trusting? Please....

If this would have happened to you, you'd be on the other side of the fence...believe me.
Old 06-13-2008, 05:56 PM
centerpunch
Rennlist Member

The learnings for SELLERS:

Do NOT settle for transferring the title only.

ALWAYS insist that the buyer sign a detailed Bill of Sale and Release.

This can help protect you from buyers with remorse or selective memory.

Here's the ones I have used:

BILL OF SALE

Year, make and model: 1990 Mazda MX-5 Miata

VIN: xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Odometer reading: ___________________

Date of sale: xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Seller hereby acknowledges receipt of $xxxxxxxxxxxxxx for full and final payment for the above vehicle, which is sold “AS IS,” with no warranty of any kind.

The sale is final and non-refundable, and no part of the payment is refundable to the buyer for any reason.

I, the seller, certify that I am the current owner of the vehicle, and have the authority to sell it. I hereby transfer full ownership of this to the buyer. I certify that the ownership of this vehicle at the time of sale is subject to no outstanding liens or encumbrances.

Buyer hereby acknowledges receipt of the following: notarized title with mileage disclosure statement transferring seller’s full ownership of the vehicle to the buyer, extra parts, this signed Bill of Sale, all keys to the vehicle, and delivery of the vehicle itself.

(seller’s signature) (buyer’s signature)

(date) (date)

Disclosure, Disclaimer, and Release

The 1990 Mazda MX-5 Miata VIN xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx sold to xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx on xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx is subject to the following:

1. Disclosure:

(I always list all mods from stock here.)

This vehicle has been modified from its original configuration, including, but not limited to, modifications to the engine, suspension and brake systems.

The headlights on the vehicle are aftermarket units that may not meet DOT standards, and may not be appropriate for night use.

The tires on the vehicle are high-performance summer-only tires, are not rated “all-season” or “winter” tires, and are not appropriate for cold weather use.

2. Disclaimer:

TO THE FULL EXTENT PERMITTED BY LAW, THIS USED VEHICLE IS SOLD “AS IS” AND WITHOUT ANY WARRANTIES, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, ANY IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY OR FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR USE.

Buyer is knowledgeable about this type of vehicle, its modifications, and its equipment, has had the opportunity to personally inspected the vehicle in detail or have it inspected by a third party, and has made his purchase decision based solely on his own expert opinion.

3. Release and promise not to sue:

Buyer hereby releases seller, xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, and his family and estate, from any and all causes of action or claims as regards the vehicle, and promises not to sue any of the foregoing as regards to the vehicle, or its operation or use. This paragraph shall be read in the broadest way possible and if any part hereof is found in valid under applicable law, the remainder shall remain in full force and effect.

I have read the foregoing and agree to the above.

(buyer) (date)
Old 06-13-2008, 05:59 PM
ChristianR
Three Wheelin'

Received 140 Likes on 71 Posts

If he did not like the car when he finally went to see and pick it up, than why leave with it in the 1st place?
Old 06-13-2008, 06:09 PM
red911c2
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Matt Davies
Perhaps we should start a geographic data base of willing tire-kickers...
That is a brilliant idea!
Old 06-13-2008, 06:09 PM
993inNC
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Got time?
Old 06-13-2008, 06:10 PM
centerpunch
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ChristianR
If he did not like the car when he finally went to see and pick it up, than why leave with it in the 1st place?

Probably because it was his car.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Just got deeply scr*wed....