Rust Repair - Rust Avenger

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2008, 06:30 PM
Arrwin
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Rust Repair - Rust Avenger

Hey guys,

What product do you guys use to reverse/stop rust from spreading? There used to be this pen product called Rust Avenger by 3M, but I believe it is discontinued. Do you guys know of a similiar product? I've seen rust removal products in tubs at the auto stores, but was hoping to not have to buy a large tub as I need only a little bit and hoping for something easy to use/apply.

Thankfully, this is not for the 993. Some bastard gave me a nice scrape right under the rear passenger-side door. Surprisingly, it rusted right away. Is this common?

Anyway, any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
Old 05-30-2008, 08:35 PM
m_reagan_s
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm in the coating business. Oxidation will take place when bare metal is exposed to the elements. Even in the door is galvanized, the zinc galvanizing was probably scraped off exposing the underlying steel to the air, and the rust starts. So called rust converters like the 3m product are a temporary fix, but they are a "finger in the dyke" approach. The only long term fix is to remove the rust down to bare metal, apply a primer that's compatible with touch up paint, and then touch up after letting the primer properly cure.
Old 06-02-2008, 12:11 PM
Arrwin
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by m_reagan_s
I'm in the coating business. Oxidation will take place when bare metal is exposed to the elements. Even in the door is galvanized, the zinc galvanizing was probably scraped off exposing the underlying steel to the air, and the rust starts. So called rust converters like the 3m product are a temporary fix, but they are a "finger in the dyke" approach. The only long term fix is to remove the rust down to bare metal, apply a primer that's compatible with touch up paint, and then touch up after letting the primer properly cure.
Thanks m_reagan_s. As i'm admittedley not the handiest person, does this mean I can sand the rust down to bare metal, primer, and then touch up? So a rust converter is not needed?

Thanks again.
Old 06-02-2008, 02:31 PM
luvmy356
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

For small scratches or rock chips, I found that I could never 100% remove all the rust, and a short time later, the repair would fail due to it rusting again.

But if I used the rust avenger after cleaning out the rust, the repair will hold. My experience was on an older car I bought from someone who lived on a gravel road and never had the chips fixed so they were rusty. I lightly sanded each chip with a sanding pen, used the rust avenger and then the final coat of paint. This car is parked outside, and the repairs are still good after 3 years.

I wish some other company would reintroduce a similar product in that form factor as I had good luck with it.

Quick Reply: Rust Repair - Rust Avenger