Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First week with my 993

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2008, 11:49 AM
simpsoap
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

congrats on the purchase, I purchased my first 993 the 14th of this month, I love the car, and my drive to work as well!
Old 05-30-2008, 05:03 PM
travanx
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes next up is getting rid of all the junk in the garage. Or ziptie all the junk to the walls. =) How do I get the LPMM exhaust mod? I can't get enough of the engine reving. That will be my ringtone shortly. White on black is a truly sexy color combo.
Old 05-30-2008, 05:11 PM
Father of 3
Addict
Rennlist Member

There are tons of threads on LPMM. Here's mine from a few years back https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...ht=lpmm+father

Are you a So Cal guy? If so, Burns Stainless is in Newport Beach. I called muffler shops around town and got various quotes. I can't remember the name of the guy I used in Burbank but it only cost my $75 to weld both.

Congrats on the car. I was never a big fan of white cars until I saw a 993 in white. Awesome look.
Old 05-30-2008, 10:10 PM
csertich
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Congratulations! The weeks only get better.....
chuck
Old 05-30-2008, 11:29 PM
sdcabrio
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

congrats! I love the white with black. Welcome to the madness .
Old 05-31-2008, 03:53 AM
travanx
Pro

Originally Posted by Father of 3
Are you a So Cal guy? If so, Burns Stainless is in Newport Beach. I called muffler shops around town and got various quotes. I can't remember the name of the guy I used in Burbank but it only cost my $75 to weld both.
Do you remember where in Burbank? What do I say when I go to a shop? I am in Glendale and that would be way too convenient. I still don't really understand what the mod is, i just heard the youtube clip and love it.
Old 05-31-2008, 09:28 AM
95_993
Race Car

Received 566 Likes on 382 Posts

I had some same thought when I bought my 993 just last year. My commute is about 40 mi each way. The 993 puts a smile on my face every time I drive it. I use it as my DD from April through December here in New England. Gotta love it!
Old 05-31-2008, 02:11 PM
Father of 3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by travanx
Do you remember where in Burbank? What do I say when I go to a shop? I am in Glendale and that would be way too convenient. I still don't really understand what the mod is, i just heard the youtube clip and love it.
I can't remember for sure but this place sounds familiar. Basically what LPMM is (stands for Leland Pate Modified Muffler for the guy who first tried it out) is a poor-mans partial muffler bypass. You buy a couple of feet of stainless steel tubing, take it to a muffler shop, and have them weld the tubing between the intake and exhaust pipes that go into and out of the muffler. The 993 muffler has two tubes, one that goes into the muffler (to muffle sound) and the other that comes out, curves, and goes directly to the exhaust tips. What it does is permit some of the sound that normally gets muffled to bypass the muffler and go directly to the tailpipes. The beauty of the LPMM is that the noise under constant load is not that much louder than stock, because not as much exhaust/noise is forced through the bypass. When you accelerate though, more exhaust/noise is forced through the bypass, hence more/better noise.

Get the idea?

http://local.yahoo.com/details?id=20704858
Old 05-31-2008, 02:15 PM
travanx
Pro

thank you, i have searched and couldnt find what exactly the mod did. the sound was perfect though in videos. so yeah that helps quite a bit. any reason to not just use the tubing at a welding shop? i am going to try to mod the car as much without being visible to anyone, before i reach that slope. =)
Old 05-31-2008, 02:21 PM
Father of 3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Most of us bought stainless steel tubing from here http://burnsstainless.com/304tubing/304tubing.html

Just take a few feet to a muffler shop that knows what they are doing, show them a picture from Rennlist of what the mod looks like and that should take care of it. Make sure they weld stainless because not everyone does. If you don't want the hassle, send your mufflers to FisterD (Darin) and he will do it all for you.
Old 06-10-2008, 02:38 AM
travanx
Pro

Talking

Couple follow up stuff to my thread. So I took the car to a mechanic in Pasadena. He showed me the leaking valve and chain cover seals. No problem, as he checked the rest of the car out and said it all looked good, almost new tires, almost new brakes, and he said it looked as though the 60k mile service had been done. If leaking seals are my only problems, I am more than happy.

Then I was curious about the stereo. Finally turned up the stereo (after listening in awe to the engine for the last few weeks) this weekend and it actually sounded good. I was confused and took out the speakers expecting the opposite of what I found. Not only are there nice Focal components in the doors, but the install is extremely clean and stealthy. I havent found the crossovers yet, but they are not in the door pockets like the DIY's on here.

I am kind of surprised I found the right car with the right mileage at the right price with minimal problems and a couple hidden addons too boot. Can anyone tell me what wheels these are?
Attached Images  
Old 06-10-2008, 03:17 AM
CaptainGSR
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

You have the stock 993 cup 17inch wheels.

Quick Reply: First week with my 993