993 Forum 1995-1998

Possibly getting a 95 tomorrow

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2008, 12:04 AM
travanx
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Possibly getting a 95 tomorrow

I went to test drive a 95 993 Coupe yesterday. I am going down tomorrow with my car and seeing what trade in I can get. I am curious, since I am a little iffy on if I should take it to get a PPI. If there anything visual right off the bat that I can look at? The engine looked clean, sounded clean, and the paint looks in very good condition. Any advice on buying a used car from an exotic dealer would be great. I will have more questions I am sure once I get any replies.
Old 05-26-2008, 12:36 AM
CN
Escapee
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In order of priority:

1) Like the look and visual inspection.
2) PPI (not negotiable) must do
3) Records, records, records
4) milage
5) Price compare
6) Did I mention the PPI
Old 05-26-2008, 12:40 AM
csertich
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You really should get a PPI. Don't let what can be a great experience (enjoying a good 993) turn into a huge disappointment because of maintenance issues.

An exotic dealer is just a car dealer. Some take pride in what they sell and others just sell. Reputable dealer or not, get a PPI.

Look under the hood-should be an option sticker. If it is not there, that can indicate hood replacement. Lots of other stuff to look at but the guy you choose to do your PPI will take care of that.

Good luck. If this isn't the one, there are others. To me, searching for my car in the right color and with the right options was kind of fun.

OH, and drive as many 993's as you can while you search.

chuck
Old 05-26-2008, 01:21 AM
gonzilla
Rennlist Member

Received 98 Likes on 64 Posts

YES YES YES... do a PPI and find a GOOD shop to do it too (not one that the dealership recommends). Don't skimp. There are some expensive repairs that may be hard to detect by the untrained eye, so make sure you find someone that can help you find out what you are getting into. Good luck and make sure to post pics if all goes well!
Old 05-26-2008, 01:37 AM
travanx
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok thanks. I am going down to Newport Beach right off of PCH in case anyone can recommend a place for a PPI. The car comes with all its keys and original owners manuals. Also the carfax seems fine. At least thats a good start. The color is right on, as white on black is the exact color I wish my RSX came in. Price is about $1000 higher than kbb.com for 60k miles. Supposedly it also has a new clutch and new brakes. I have been looking for a while and just coming across one in my price range and mileage is very difficult to do.
Old 05-26-2008, 03:01 AM
gonzilla
Rennlist Member

Received 98 Likes on 64 Posts

Sounds very cool! If it's only $1000 more than KBB's estimate, it's still probably $5000 below market. Try Hergesheimer's for the PPI:
http://www.hergesheimer.com/
Good luck!

Quick Reply: Possibly getting a 95 tomorrow