High-speed cabin fan works intermittently

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2008, 04:45 PM
vjd3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default High-speed cabin fan works intermittently

Did a search but didn't quite find a specific reference to this one ...

The high (4) speed on my cabin blower is only working intermittently, it will come on once in a while but mostly it doesn't seem like it wants to blow over the #2 speed regardless of the **** setting, or whether the defrost or max AC snowflake switch is depressed. I do get air out of all the correct vents, it just won't blow as hard as it can. I've been driving in 50 degree temps with the top down and the heat on (fan **** on 4) and while it's blowing warm air where I direct it, only occasionally will the fan fire up and blow hard (and loud) for a while.

Thoughts? Relay? CCU?

TIA
Old 04-22-2008, 04:49 PM
MarkD
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If I recall correctly, it could be the CCU. Cleaning the contacts for the AC buttons may resolve it.
I think this also effects the A/C clutch cycling.

EDIT: this thread has good info and other possbile casues (see post 18 for links to other threads with diag steps) https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...ferrerid=35947
This is the most complete (by Brian Smith): https://rennlist.com/forums/993-forum/351059-complete-a-c-diagnosis.html
Still looking for the CCU switch issue thread. I had this issue on my black car and it resolved it... thought I bookmarked it.
Pretty simple, just remove CCU, disassemble, shoot the buttons with "electromotive" cleaner...
But I would go through the troubleshooting steps in the thread above first.
Old 04-22-2008, 08:59 PM
BobbyT
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 73 Likes on 48 Posts

+ 1 what MarkD said. First I just took out the CCU and flushed the switches, but the problem cam back. Next I took my CCU apart, carefully disassembled the little push-switches, cleaned off the old grease, and flushed everything with electrical contact cleaner (make sure you get the kind that is safe for plastics). Works perfectly now.
Old 04-22-2008, 09:02 PM
vjd3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Thanks, guys.

Quick Reply: High-speed cabin fan works intermittently