Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

How to Remove Alternator fm Shroud?

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2008, 07:14 AM
993Porsche
Burning Brakes

Received 31 Likes on 9 Posts
Default How to Remove Alternator fm Shroud?

I've checked all the DIYs and can't find an explaination of removing the alternator from the shroud. While both pices (ie, unit) are our of the car, I'm sort of stuck fm completing the job. Any assistance would be most appreciative.

Thanks,

Ken
Old 04-03-2008, 09:18 AM
geolab
Rennlist Member

Received 173 Likes on 119 Posts

Hello Ken,
Could you please reformulate the question? Do you mean the alternator is OUT of the car? or still hooked
through by the shroud? sorry about that

If you reached the level where you could reach the back of the alternator, there is a black
cover on the back of the alternator held by 4 small nuts (8mm I think)
you take a piece of cloth or rag and surround the fan housing all around, and unscrew the
two 8 mm nuts from the back of the alternator cover.
Now turn the whole fan housing clockwise, to be able to reach the bottom nuts on the back
of the alternator back cover.
When all 4 nuts removed, remove the black cup cover, and unscrew the electric cables hooked on the back
of the alternator.
There is a 10mm nut holding the thickest cable, and 8mm for the rest I think.
thats it
Old 04-03-2008, 09:54 AM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

Received 407 Likes on 229 Posts

Ken,
Geolab prettry much covered it. The body of the alternator is made to fit tightly into a set of recesses within the fan housing. This serves to keep it perfectly centered. The four small nuts on the rear just keep everything pulled together.

Here's a pic of the rear of my alternator & housing showing the mounting studs:

Andreas
Old 04-03-2008, 10:21 AM
Robin 993DX
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

What DIY were you searching?

http://p-car.com/diy/alternator/alternator.html
Old 04-03-2008, 11:02 AM
993Porsche
Burning Brakes

Received 31 Likes on 9 Posts

Thanks everyone. I got it out of the car, but I am puzzled on how to get the alternator and fan out of the shroud. Do you remove the fan first? And once that is removed, how do you get the alternator out?

Thanks again,

Ken
Old 04-03-2008, 11:27 AM
Don Plumley
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

The DIY that Robin pointed you to should help. The Fan/Alternator come out as a unit, you then need to remove the fan from the alternator shaft. That can be a hard part, a gear puller would be ideal instead of banging on it.
Old 05-25-2012, 03:59 PM
kjr914
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Thread revival since I think the OP was asking the same question I'm after....

Alternator+fan+fanhousing are out of the car in 1 chunk. There are various descriptions of how to get the fan off the alternator shaft, so no problem there. HOWEVER, like the OP, the alternator doesn't just slide out of the fan housing after loosening the 4 cover bolts on the backside (bolts are now loose and floating freely).

My guess is that years of accumulated dirt+oil+heat have created a nice gunky, dirty mixture that is holding the alternator in. Its coated in Liquid Wrench right now to soften things up, then I'm going to try and pressure wash it to clean it up. I'm hopeful this will do it, but if not, are there some tricks you folks have used to get the alternator loose of the fan housing? TIA!

Last edited by kjr914; 05-25-2012 at 09:31 PM.
Old 05-25-2012, 04:08 PM
Robin 993DX
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Heat gun to heat the fan bearing area and a hammer and another pair of hands to supper the fan from underneath while someone beats on the shaft. Put something on the shaft so no damage can occur.
Old 05-25-2012, 05:19 PM
kjr914
Drifting

Originally Posted by Robin 993DX
Heat gun to heat the fan bearing area and a hammer and another pair of hands to supper the fan from underneath while someone beats on the shaft. Put something on the shaft so no damage can occur.
Robin,
Its not the fan, but the alternator stuck in the fan housing that is my issue. All the DIYs act like it just slides out.....and it doesn't for me. (I'm special like that!)

But as you suggest, some heat and application of some BFH might do the trick as well for my problem...
Old 05-25-2012, 06:24 PM
BobbyT
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 73 Likes on 48 Posts

Hi Keith,

Once you have the retaining nuts off those four long through-bolts, their is nothing left holding the alternator and shroud together, except the stuckness from being married for so long. After the Liquid Wrench does it stuff, you might try tapping gently on the end of each through-bolt.
Old 05-25-2012, 08:41 PM
TRINITONY
Rennlist Member

Received 249 Likes on 210 Posts

Originally Posted by kjr914
Thread revival since I think the OP was asking the same question I'm after....

Alternator+fan+fanhousing are out of the car in 1 chunk. Various descriptions of how to get the fan off the alternator shaft, so no problem there. HOWEVER, like the OP, the alternator doesn't just slide out of the fan housing after loosening the 4 cover bolts on the backside (bolts are now loose and floating freely).

My guess is that years of accumulated dirt+oil+heat have created a nice gunky, dirty mixture that is holding the alternator in. Its coated in Liquid Wrench right now to soften things up, then I'm going to try and pressure wash it to clean it up. I'm hopeful this will do it, but if not, are there some tricks you folks have used to get the alternator loose of the fan housing? TIA!
everything is here....

https://rennlist.com/forums/993-foru...belts-off.html
Old 05-25-2012, 09:34 PM
kjr914
Drifting

Originally Posted by BobbyT
Once you have the retaining nuts off those four long through-bolts, their is nothing left holding the alternator and shroud together, except the stuckness from being married for so long. After the Liquid Wrench does it stuff, you might try tapping gently on the end of each through-bolt.
Yep, its that "stuckness" that I'm facing. All 4 bolts are already loose, so they are not what is binding it all together. I'm hoping a day bathed in Liquid Wrench does the trick.

Originally Posted by TRINITONY
No. My problem is getting the alternator out of the fan housing.

That link has a great way of getting the fan off the alternator, however. I'll be doing that, since I tried using the puller method already, it wasn't budging and I don't feel comfortable pulling any harder on a light alloy fan.
Old 05-25-2012, 11:36 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 77 Likes on 51 Posts

Can you tap on the bolts with a plastic hammer slightly, in a pattern, to break the bond?
Old 05-25-2012, 11:41 PM
TRINITONY
Rennlist Member

Received 249 Likes on 210 Posts

Originally Posted by kjr914
Yep, its that "stuckness" that I'm facing. All 4 bolts are already loose, so they are not what is binding it all together. I'm hoping a day bathed in Liquid Wrench does the trick.

No. My problem is getting the alternator out of the fan housing.

That link has a great way of getting the fan off the alternator, however. I'll be doing that, since I tried using the puller method already, it wasn't budging and I don't feel comfortable pulling any harder on a light alloy fan.
understood..... a couple taps should loosen I would think..
Old 05-26-2012, 11:24 AM
Falcondrivr
Race Car

Received 70 Likes on 36 Posts

Be very careful. If you damage the fan or the housing you are in for a nasty parts bill. They are made of magnesium, and are the most expensive parts I have bought for my car. $1000 for the pair, and that's Sunset pricing...

Quick Reply: How to Remove Alternator fm Shroud?