Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Does rear 96-98 subframe+suspension fit 95?

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2008, 10:04 AM
herman maire
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Does rear 96-98 subframe+suspension fit 95?

Just wondering if a 96-98 rear subframe+suspenion would be BOLT ON for a 95?

I read on the internet that they changed the geometry on the 96-98 and the result being a more stable car.

Also all my rear control arms are/ bushing are dead and a buddy has a nice low miles rear end I can have for free... it save me some $$ right now.

Thanks again for any info.
Old 02-19-2008, 10:27 AM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 98 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by herman maire
.. and a buddy has a nice low miles rear end I can have for free...
hold on a minute, wrong foru...

Seriously now -- the newer subrframe will bolt in -- there have been in depth discussions on this topic before -- you may wish to search the archives.

Removing the subframe is quite a bit of work as you know. I wouldnt let the 'newer' geometry talk you into this work if all your rear needs is some new toe links or the like.
Old 02-19-2008, 10:49 AM
herman maire
Racer

Thanks for the reply Chris.... I will try a search.

I just bought the car and I already have the the motor+trans out so access to the subframe is perfect right now.

I am happy to hear it bolts up.
Old 02-19-2008, 11:42 AM
TheOtherEric
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 23 Posts

The only clear changes to the 1996+ suspension were a general beefing-up of the rear suspension parts because they wanted the same parts to work for the 993TT (refer to Frere's book). There's one, and only one, person who claims something about a "geometry" change, but when pressed, it's obvious he has no support for this statement or evidence of any changes. Present thinking is that there was in fact no "geometry" change, just the parts getting beefed up.

So you can drop right into a 1995. Won't be easy though. And there's no reason to do it, either, unless you've managed to mangle up your suspension in a wreck or something.
Old 02-19-2008, 12:03 PM
herman maire
Racer

Thanks guys... I am happy to hear I can just swap in the 98 unit. The only reasons I am am thinking about is because I have the motor+trans out , my 95 rear end has 84k miles and the donor 25k miles and the 98 unit is not costing me.

If the 98 unit is stronger then thats a bonus.

Just wondering why nobody make a Polyurethane bushing kit for the subframe??? Why is solid mounts the only affordable option?? The porsche prices are just a little to crazy for me.

I am having a crazy idea to buy some poly or delrin and making my own bushings. What do you guys think.
Old 02-19-2008, 12:21 PM
TheOtherEric
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 23 Posts

...I am having a crazy idea to buy some poly or delrin and making my own bushings. What do you guys think.
I guess if the parts are truly free and your motor/tranny is out... it probably won't hurt. But you know what they say, if it ain't broke...

Making your own poly/delrin subframe mounts? Don't bother. Solid subframe mounts don't really have a down-side AFAIK. I installed them and haven't noticed really much difference, certainly nothing negative. Seems like a lot of effort and risk for no upside.
Old 02-19-2008, 12:35 PM
herman maire
Racer

Thanks Eric,

I guess what I was thinking is that the rubber is to soft , solid (metal/aluminum) to hard and the poly/delrin ... juuuust right

since you did install the solid mounts do you feel they are hard on the unibody of the car when used bumpy city streets?

So you did not even notice a difference when going to solid... thats not what I was expecting to hear. Would you do this mod again?

BTW your car is a beauty
Old 02-19-2008, 12:53 PM
Marlon
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

...deja vu type of thread tete-a-tete....
Old 02-19-2008, 02:15 PM
Falcondrivr
Race Car

Received 70 Likes on 36 Posts

Check your build date. The late build '95s have the '96-98 suspension already.
Old 02-19-2008, 03:25 PM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 98 Likes on 50 Posts

Just wondering why nobody make a Polyurethane bushing kit for the subframe??? Why is solid mounts the only affordable option?? The porsche prices are just a little to crazy for me.

I am having a crazy idea to buy some poly or delrin and making my own bushings. What do you guys think.
Its in the works already.

One thing I would like to know why the 98 car is being parted? I ask because I would like you to know of any potential damage of its rear suspension before taking-on such a project.

I agree, once the engine is out, its not too bad of a job to do.

Quick Reply: Does rear 96-98 subframe+suspension fit 95?