993 Forum 1995-1998

Ipod Mount

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2008, 01:34 PM
Nuff
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Smiles
Me too! I just checked at the Alpine USA website, and it seems that the X100 is older tech, for use with older iTunes.
I know it is confusing, but the X100 is actually the newer model. The X001 is the older model. The new model numbers are the X100, X200 and X300. Basically, the X100 replaced the X001.

X001/X100 Comparison

Crutchfield still has a few X101s for $269.99. The sell the newer X100 for $349.99. I got my X100 from eBay for $245 (shipped).

I definitely recommend either the X100 as it allows you to leave your iPod in the glove compartement. My only complaint is that the screen is VERY difficult to read during daylight due to glare. I put an antiglare screen protector on the display and it has helped.
Old 05-20-2008, 01:52 PM
2Many Cars
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I read a report recently that said thieves are now breaking into cars if they see only the mount for an iPod or GPS. Since so many people just detach the unit and just leave it hidden in the car (as opposed to taking it with them) the thieves know that there's a good chance if they see an empty mount the electronic goodie is probably nearby. The advice was to remove the unit AND the mount everytime or else risk a broken window.
Old 05-20-2008, 02:00 PM
Nuff
Racer

Originally Posted by 2Many Cars
I read a report recently that said thieves are now breaking into cars if they see only the mount for an iPod or GPS. Since so many people just detach the unit and just leave it hidden in the car (as opposed to taking it with them) the thieves know that there's a good chance if they see an empty mount the electronic goodie is probably nearby. The advice was to remove the unit AND the mount everytime or else risk a broken window.
+1!!!
Old 05-20-2008, 04:30 PM
Smiles
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Nuff
I know it is confusing, but the X100 is actually the newer model. The X001 is the older model. The new model numbers are the X100, X200 and X300. Basically, the X100 replaced the X001.

X001/X100 Comparison

Crutchfield still has a few X101s for $269.99. The sell the newer X100 for $349.99. I got my X100 from eBay for $245 (shipped).

I definitely recommend either the X100 as it allows you to leave your iPod in the glove compartement. My only complaint is that the screen is VERY difficult to read during daylight due to glare. I put an antiglare screen protector on the display and it has helped.
Thank you for the clarification. I checked the owner's manual for the X100 and on page 9 it says: "If the unit is used with iPod software versions of iTunes later than 7.4.3.1, correct function and perfromance cannnot be guaranteed." But I'm on 7.6.2.9 to use my iPhone.

Does "later" mean "more recent" or "older than"?

Should I buy a tiny iPod and just leave it in the glove box? Or is synching the Bluetooth and iPhone worth doing? Or should I keep phone and audio functions seperate?
Old 05-20-2008, 05:39 PM
Nuff
Racer

Thank you for the clarification. I checked the owner's manual for the X100 and on page 9 it says: "If the unit is used with iPod software versions of iTunes later than 7.4.3.1, correct function and perfromance cannnot be guaranteed." But I'm on 7.6.2.9 to use my iPhone.

Does "later" mean "more recent" or "older than"?

Should I buy a tiny iPod and just leave it in the glove box? Or is synching the Bluetooth and iPhone worth doing? Or should I keep phone and audio functions seperate?
I have an iPod Touch and it works fine. I think by "later" they mean "older." Certain functions are not supported - i.e., videos, etc.

I don't use the Blutooth.

I've thought about getting an iPod and just leaving it in the glove box, but decided that it would be better not to leave one in the car. Plus, I'm always syncing new music anyway.
Old 05-20-2008, 06:12 PM
clipstone
Instructor

Originally Posted by Nuff

X001/X100 Comparison

I do this with the x101 without a problem too ... or is it some of the other models that would struggle?
Old 05-21-2008, 09:47 AM
Smiles
Pro

Thanks, everyone.

That's really cool that for a few hundered dollars a 993 can have blueteeth and an iPod installed. And installed DIY and hard wired. By comparison, my daily driver is a 1999 BMW 540i. It has a cassette player (!) that's broken, but no regular DIN size, and so I use an FM solution for my iPod that's weak and is subject to alot of intereference.

Another reason to love a 993.
Old 05-21-2008, 06:05 PM
Nuff
Racer

Thanks, everyone.

That's really cool that for a few hundered dollars a 993 can have blueteeth and an iPod installed. And installed DIY and hard wired. By comparison, my daily driver is a 1999 BMW 540i. It has a cassette player (!) that's broken, but no regular DIN size, and so I use an FM solution for my iPod that's weak and is subject to alot of intereference.

Another reason to love a 993.
Not to go OT, but I think your 1999 5 series does take a standard DIN size stereo. You just need a face plate adapter (see photo). I just replaced the Business CD stereo from a 3-series and used a similar trim adapter. The adapter's are pretty cheap (Crutchfield sells them for $20 - or free if you buy a head unit). Using a wiring harness, it took about 45 minutes.
Attached Images  
Old 05-23-2008, 04:39 PM
Smiles
Pro

Thank you, Nuff. You're probably right, but my car has the integrated SatNav screen. Plus BMW's worthless "DSP" sound processing. When I enter my car's info into Crutchfield's website, it shows "We're sorry but we haven't researched this part of your car." Nothing's available.

That's why I'm getting a 993. (Not the sole reason.) (And I'll keep the BMW as a daily driver.)
Old 05-24-2008, 02:10 AM
Nuff
Racer

Thank you, Nuff. You're probably right, but my car has the integrated SatNav screen. Plus BMW's worthless "DSP" sound processing. When I enter my car's info into Crutchfield's website, it shows "We're sorry but we haven't researched this part of your car." Nothing's available.

That's why I'm getting a 993. (Not the sole reason.) (And I'll keep the BMW as a daily driver.)
Ah, sat nav screen. Not much you can do about that.

Sorry.

Quick Reply: Ipod Mount