Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

What is your other hobby other than your 993

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2008, 10:31 AM
TYNUSKT
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

This has been my winter hobby...I'm obsessed with it.
Attached Images  
Old 02-13-2008, 11:01 AM
Van1
Drifting

Received 64 Likes on 47 Posts

Besides the 993 and tracking, I enjoy my dogs (German Shepherd and Boxer back home in Omaha and one Greek mixed breed stray that I picked up here in Crete), drinking fine California Cabernets, and camping with my wife and dogs in our 22' Airstream International AS. Put it all together and I like to spend a night with good friends under the awning of the Airstream enjoying over $100 worth of Cab or more while grilling hamburgers and enjoying the great outdoors.

Last edited by Van1; 06-26-2008 at 01:01 AM.
Old 02-13-2008, 11:01 AM
Steve 96C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 852 Likes on 435 Posts

Originally Posted by vjd3
I play lead guitar in a Grateful Dead band called Playing Dead here in Boston ... my guitar rig doesn't fit in my 993 anymore, but it used to ;-)
That's very cool. I used to have a dead shirt that said on the back of it "Lie down and play Dead" with the skeleton lying down in a field of Roses. Thanks to finding the Internet Archive site on the web the other day by accident, I have been reaquainted with Dead music I don't have on tape!

http://www.archive.org/details/gd74-...823.sbeok.shnf

I have about 1200 tapes/CD's but this site has many shows I don't have. I'm SO happy to have found it. It used to be the biggest part of my life .

In some ways, it's still huge
Old 02-13-2008, 11:25 AM
Garth S
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

As time marches on, competitive basketball, racquet games ( tennis & squash), and long haul X-country skiing have been replaced by daily bushwacking hikes with our German wirehares ( youngest pictured ), clay target shooting ( mostly 'sporting clays'), and a good game of snooker .... if I can find any competition
Working on other guys Porsches probably counts too ....
Attached Images  
Old 02-13-2008, 11:34 AM
WHB Porsche
I'm Still Jenny
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Flying! Planes and helis.
Old 02-13-2008, 11:40 AM
titleist1
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Delanobe, nice shot of the outdoor urinal.Myself, i like golf
Attached Images  
Old 02-13-2008, 11:51 AM
joelb
Advanced

Default Hobbies...

Recently my older brother and I bought a hot rod. It was a long-time dream of his (over 30 years) so I decided to help him make it come true. We did some research and one day he stumbled across this 1923 T-Bucket with a 350 Corvette engine (300 bhp) and dual Holly 4-barrel carbs. He found it less than 12 miles from his house in the mid-GA mountains (near Callaway Gardens). We have, however, a ton of work to make her safe and fun to drive but it's great watching his eyes light up whenever we talk about it.

I also do a lot of volunteer work with my county's Community Emergency Response Team (CERT). We handle urban search and rescue (SAR) events and respond to any county-wide emergencies.

Joel
Attached Images  
Old 02-13-2008, 12:49 PM
Leander
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

My other hobby is hanging out on rennlist...
Old 02-13-2008, 01:16 PM
Cincy_Ron
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've been in to Amateur Radio since I was around 14 years old. Still kind of enjoy it, especially firing up some morse code every now and then to practice my skillz! This is just a small portion of the equipment I have. The main rig came out just as I was getting out of high school and I couldn't afford it then. Picked it up around 7 years ago and invested several grand in test equipment so I could align it to it's original factory specs. Still holds it's own after 24 years!

Old 02-13-2008, 01:17 PM
delanobe
Three Wheelin'

Received 218 Likes on 104 Posts

No idea what a urinal is but I also like golf alot, I even have a few golf partners like yours :-)
Old 02-13-2008, 01:26 PM
biotechee
Racer

I'd take up golfing in a second if that could be my partner....

Besides the Porsche (have a 968, and have a deep appreciation of the 993), I enjoy:

-Spending time with my family (wife and two daughters, ages 6 & 2)
-Doing home projects (just finished my basement complete with a gas fireplace set in a stone wall and big-@ss Sony LCD... kitchen will be next)
-Collecting Marklin HO trains (hope to someday have a small layout)
-Keeping snakes (only have one juvenile Halloween phase Pueblan Milksnake right now- wife not too keen on more)
-Playing with my home-made MAME arcade machine (it's the bomb for those of us who grew up with asteroids, donkey kong, pac-man, etc., Mr.Do! RULES!!!)
-Longing for a 993, and cabbage to convert my 968 to 968 Turbo S copy
Old 02-13-2008, 01:33 PM
Paul902
Three Wheelin'

I'm into tube audio as well. Have DIY Dynaco ST70, and currently working on SV811-10 monoblocks. If I ever buy a record player my Dad will let me back in the family.

I am also into cycling and XC skiing. Just did a 160km, sleep outside on a bale of straw, kind of weekend.
Old 02-13-2008, 01:47 PM
ddidit
Advanced

Default Simularities reflect simular ideals in life

Jain baby - Focal/JMLab, My cars were Focals ces show cars for 4 years in a 1999-2003. Jacques Mahul is a good friend of mine and his daughter Clara is a charming sight to behold. Kimon Bellas who imports Focal and PHL is a good friend of mine. In fact, his birthday is tomorrow. Alain Brenard who designed the Raven tweeter is also the best of best acoustic engineers. He has a new line of raw drivers. My dream in audio came when I designed and constructed a speaker called the Paloma which did well since it was used to introduce the famous Raven R3.

Robin - the 801 Matrix regarded as the best monitor in the world. I dreamed of owning a pair ever since I saw it in a Playboy article when I was about 15-16 years old.

Hpuck - Like the rig but do it the justice it deserves. Follow the Cardas rule in positioning and electrostats reeally need the space behind to expand and add depth to the sound stage. I have the same pioneer Elite stable plater! That is in my HT setup which consists of an Aragon 18k preamp, 4004 amp, and Dynaudio monitors. No need for tiny speakers. The audio industry is hurting our ears.

marks - shouldn't of donated it. You could have sold it to the right buyer and you could have bought a 993tt with the money you would have gotten. Too late - my friend Ron Rambauch has japanese customers that pay $2000 a record! You read that right.... Next time.

Mark harris - I used to race for the Cal Poly wheelmen in San Luis Obispo. Current bike is a Serrota with full dura-ace and Zipp wheels.

Delanobe - I used to Race expert modified touring car. Cost to race and be competitve was $200-300 a month if expenses were broken down. Had to stop! Below is a bike I build and custom made 80% of the parts. It was fast! Had to sale becuase it took too much time awy from family and real cars.

Steve 96c4s - Steve, I have a Paul Picot Chrono Monza in great condition but in need of repair. Don't know if I should sell it or repair it. It is number 10 of 225 made in the world! The promble is in the auto wind, has had the same problem twice. Cost of repair was $650.00.

Rennlist members - we are more alike than we may think and it is safe for me to say that I am not crazy because my wife certainly thinks so. Good thing she at least thinks my interests are cool.
Attached Images   
Old 02-13-2008, 01:50 PM
Paul902
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by jainbaby
www.pnfaudio.com (25% off and free shipping for any Rennlist members who need cables). My company has been reviewed and won an Editor's Choice for 2007 from The Absolute Sound Magazine.
Nice offer!
Old 02-13-2008, 01:54 PM
ninjabones
Rennlist Member

Received 38 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by delanobe
No idea what a urinal is but I also like golf alot, I even have a few golf partners like yours :-)
He was talking about the father & son pee'ing competition that was going on behind you.
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: What is your other hobby other than your 993