Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   993 Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/993-forum-58/)
-   -   What is your other hobby other than your 993 (https://rennlist.com/forums/993-forum/409942-what-is-your-other-hobby-other-than-your-993-a.html)

samsnead 02-15-2008 06:03 PM

Allright, Since I am in procrastination mode here are the ones I can get to:

mcpiaseczny 02-15-2008 06:25 PM

Originally Posted by Mark Harris (Post 5107606)
Hound Dog,

Thanks for reminding me about the one I forgot to add. I too am obsessed with pulling perfect shots every morning. My stainless steel baby is plumbed into a direct line of purified bottled water that is pumped up from the basement.

Wow, that's a sweet setup. And my family/friends think I'm a nut for obsessing over my Silvia/Rocky!

Any recommendations for roasters who ship? I've been pretty happy with Intelligentsia, but recently I tried Blue Bottle and was impressed. The local favorite is Stumptown. I wasn't blown away by Umbria but that was before I had the Rocky.

There must someone here who is crazy enough to roast their own.

Deanriffs 02-15-2008 06:28 PM

[QUOTE=MM993;5110139]

Originally Posted by Marlon (Post 5107471)

Dean, this is scary, I want to get a vintage BC Rich, the RB. What year is the strat?

Mike

Mike,

The Strat is a '94 or '95 American Standard. I have had two others, a candy apple red '62 reissue and an early 80s white maple neck. Yours looks like it might be an actual vintage, not Vintage Series one. Is that the case?

The RBs are cool. FYI, I bought the Mockingbird new in 1979 when I was a teenager. It is unusual in that it has a Les Paul wiring setup, whereas almost all the others had the 5-way switch and coil taps. I love the neck on it and will keep it forever. :bowdown:

MM993 02-15-2008 07:12 PM

[QUOTE=Deanriffs;5110388]

Originally Posted by MM993 (Post 5110139)

Mike,

The Strat is a '94 or '95 American Standard. I have had two others, a candy apple red '62 reissue and an early 80s white maple neck. Yours looks like it might be an actual vintage, not Vintage Series one. Is that the case?

The RBs are cool. FYI, I bought the Mockingbird new in 1979 when I was a teenager. It is unusual in that it has a Les Paul wiring setup, whereas almost all the others had the 5-way switch and coil taps. I love the neck on it and will keep it forever. :bowdown:

Dean,
Nice guitars, I need to add a rosewood neck strat one day. The Mockingbird is killer as well, the one reason for the RB was the 12 string effect - I want both!

Yes, mine is a 57 which I bought around 1979 (again scary).

NOW - how about Samsneads collection!! Wow, If you listening, is that black custom from the late 50's? Looks like it - great job collecting.

Mark Harris 02-15-2008 07:32 PM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by mcpiaseczny (Post 5110377)
There must be someone here who is crazy enough to roast their own.

:roflmao::roflmao::roflmao:

I thought the exact same thing. A quick google turned up this progammable roaster that will do up to 5lbs of green beans......and it's less than a $1,000!

Attachment 255292

Who knew???? Maybe a lister' will start up a micro roasting business!

993James993 02-15-2008 07:53 PM

If you want to try home roasting, check out Sweet Maria's online at:

http://www.sweetmarias.com/ (no affiliation, yada yada)

I don't roast my own (two local places that roast better than I can) but I did buy a Techni Vorm Moccamaster from Maria. It kinda ruined StarBucks for me. If you go this route skip the gold filter in lieu of the unbleached cone filters and spend the savings on beans.

eloyex 02-15-2008 08:58 PM

my congratulations to all of you guys able to sport and have several and interesting hobbies. I feel little envy. I hardly find time to be with my family because of damn business issues . Nowdays most of the business are much more complex and difficult and competitive than 40 years ago. I use my 993 from time to time (sanity for my mind) and try to finish my yacht. Not ready yet. I cant pay enough attention.

Ed Burdell 02-15-2008 09:07 PM

1 Attachment(s)
We have the coolest hobbies on the planet! The 993's are only the tip of the iceberg. Proud to be associated with you folks.

Obligatory guitar rig pic:

c993k 02-15-2008 09:50 PM

Nice guitars!

Hound Dog 02-15-2008 10:29 PM

I don't roast my own, but I should. It is, however, like tying my own flies - just doesn't work on the time/reward ratio in my current painfully busy life. Sweet Marias is the way to go if you want to roast your own. I started with Intelligentsia, but for drip coffee - it's difficult to beat Terroir (light roasted wonder beans). For espresso, try Stumptown, or Counter Culture, or - my favorite - Espresso Vivace (much more difficult to pull a good shot, but when you get it, you've got it). For a stable, dependable, luscious shot though - Black Cat from Intelligentsia is as good as it gets.

It's sort of like P-cars - there's one to suit everyone's taste.

As to the technivorm - do it soon. It'll truly spoil you to charbucks forever and is the biggest improvement in drip coffee in years.

aaaahhhh, makes me want to go pull a shot now.

Hound Dog

Marlon 02-15-2008 10:50 PM

...my wife just cought me drooling and thought she was gong to bust me fixated on a bikini channel or something. Wrong! IT was the guitars on Rennlist! Way to go guys - awesome!:)

mcpiaseczny 02-15-2008 11:05 PM

Damn it! I had finally settled into a nice, comfortable coffee rhythm and now you guys had to go and ruin it with that damn technivorm, your exotic espresso machines and worst of all - home roasting. And damn you too, sweetmarias.com! I can't stop reading your addictive articles!

My wife bought me an Alessi mocca pot for Christmas and I haven't even mastered that one yet!

Sigh.

banzai993 02-16-2008 12:57 AM

Originally Posted by Ed Burdell (Post 5110854)
We have the coolest hobbies on the planet! The 993's are only the tip of the iceberg. Proud to be associated with you folks.

Obligatory guitar rig pic:

laughing my a$$ off.. here we go again Ed.. I have a JCM 900 but my black axe is an '84 Strat.. I will take a similar posed pic and post it later. funny.

Coffee, guitars and Porsches.. is it really that surprising? when you think about it, there is a certain breed of geeks that would spend time on line thinking and sharing this kind of info :)

Now.. if we want to drill down even further.. lets add BOATS to the mix and then the circle is complete.. well.. lets be more specific..

wine, boats, guitars, airplanes, porsches, kids and hot wives ..

there was that song by Limp Biscuit.. "I DID IT ALL FOR THE NOOKY..."

:jumper:

banzai993 02-16-2008 01:08 AM

oh and samsneed.. love the guitar collection.. since you are such a gearslut :) I assume you have all the other toys that go along with the 102 strings... LOL

Mark Harris 02-16-2008 09:58 AM

Originally Posted by banzai993 (Post 5111456)
Now.. if we want to drill down even further.. lets add BOATS to the mix and then the circle is complete.. well.. lets be more specific..

Surely somebody out there has a 48' SeaRay Sundancer. :bowdown: