What is your other hobby other than your 993

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2008, 12:04 AM
Deanriffs
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

[QUOTE=Marlon;5107471]
Originally Posted by Deanriffs
Business school was just the backup plan (good thing I went). I am also a tube guy (Mesa Boogie).

Wow - we got a lot of talent going on here. Mesa is a cool amp. I had a Mesa Lonestar Special 1X12, shoulda' kept it, but I started getting into single coils and I could not dial in a sound that I liked. It sounded awesome on the humbuckers though. I have a Peavey classic 50 4X10 and a 70's Fender Deluxe Reverb. Maybe I can post a pic of some of my stuff later...
Yes, those Boogies are great. I have had the same one since junior high school, which I run through a Marshall cabinet when I want the Celestion speaker crunch.
Old 02-15-2008, 12:08 AM
Mark Harris
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Hound Dog
- Really, really good espresso (better than is available in all but a few shops in the US). It's a sickness
Hound Dog,

Thanks for reminding me about the one I forgot to add. I too am obsessed with pulling perfect shots every morning. My stainless steel baby is plumbed into a direct line of purified bottled water that is pumped up from the basement.
Attached Images  
Old 02-15-2008, 12:14 AM
Tuner1
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Hound Dog
- Really, really good espresso (better than is available in all but a few shops in the US). It's a sickness (that my wife enjoys)
Want to tell us where we can find the good stuff?

Me: Cars, snowboarding, mountain bikes, road bikes, wine, watches, and...well that should do it for now
Old 02-15-2008, 12:25 AM
Mark Harris
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Tuner1
Want to tell us where we can find the good stuff?
My house.
Old 02-15-2008, 05:12 AM
Hound Dog
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Or mine . . . here in Atlanta or at our place in the NC Mountains. My wife initially resisted the Anita and Mazzer in the mountains (when she saw the box on the step), but she desisted after the arrival of the first latte on a cold Saturday morning.

Mark has a nice set up there. I haven't done the direct plumbed thing yet because I just don't want to cut through our countertops. I have a Pasquini Livia here in Atlanta (with a Mazzer Doserless) and a Quickmill Anita in the mountains (with a Mazzer Mini E). I'm currently spending way too much time thinking about the La Marzocco GS/3 or a Synesso Cyncra (which would be way over the top, but such good coffee). I rotate roasts between Stumptown, Counter Culture and Terroir. For drip coffee, I got a technivorm for christmas and it is wonderful - I had basically stopped drinking drip coffee until I got it.

Good to see that someone else shares the obsession. I've basically stopped buying coffee, and certainly espresso, outside our house. A local shop did get a clover though and that makes a nice french press like cup.

Hound Dog
Old 02-15-2008, 08:49 AM
NineMeister
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Good grief, are we all out of the same mould or what??

I'm giving serious consideration to buying one of these, any comments?
Attached Images  
Old 02-15-2008, 09:27 AM
Hound Dog
Instructor

I don't know the elektra. It looks fantastic, but I don't know anything about it. It seems to come with a grinder - which, to me, is absolutely critical. Quality of the espresso goes way, way up with a better grinder.

Be sure to check coffeegeek.com for reviews of just about everything.
Old 02-15-2008, 12:23 PM
Mark Harris
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 993James993
Mark, what kind of espresso maker and grinder are those?
Espresso Machine is a Andreja Premium by Quickmill
Grinder is a MACAP M4 Stepless Adjustable w) doser

Both purchased from www.chriscoffee.com. I was going to go with a Anita by Quickmill but spent sometime talking to Chris and upgraded to the Andreja Premium because I could plumb it direct. My wife drinks a lot of hot tea and pulls hot water from the boiler. If you pull hot water regularly you want to plumb your machine or you will constantly be filling your reservoir.

Chris Coffee sets the machine up for plumbing with this kit before they ship it.

Name:  Direct_Connect.jpg
Views: 741
Size:  6.0 KB

I agree with Hound Dog and would never drill through a granite counter top. The line is 1/4" and comes through the sheet rock just above the back splash of my counter tops. It's John Guest plumbing(see link at Chris's website) and a 12 year old can connect the tubing/supply line and fittings.

Also, Hound Dog is 100% spot on about the grinder. Without a quality grinder you might as well throw your machine off a cliff. Ask me how I know. I didn't budget for the grinder and that was a mistake. The grinder is as important as the machine. If you can't get a good grind you are just wasting you time.
Old 02-15-2008, 12:26 PM
samsnead
Pro

993James993

I live in a 3 story walk up built in 1890 I believe.

Greg
Old 02-15-2008, 01:13 PM
matt777
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Marlon
Nice! I play a fretless USA Fender Jazz bass in an over fifty60's band!
I currently don't have GAS but I would have to think hard if I came across an unmolested vintage Fender Jazz in sunburst or an Ampeg B15.
Old 02-15-2008, 03:53 PM
Hound Dog
Instructor

X2 on Chris Coffee. If you're in the US, it's a great way to go (perhaps even if not, but I'm not sure about shipping, etc.). I've bought from several over the years and they're the best. I only wish they carried the GS/3, which I think I'm going to break down and buy when I sell a house . . .
Old 02-15-2008, 04:05 PM
MM993
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Tube guy as well, here's some of the other Kids I have. Samsnead - let's see some of those beauties.

Last edited by MM993; 02-15-2008 at 04:16 PM. Reason: new photo
Old 02-15-2008, 04:54 PM
Deanriffs
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by MM993
Tube guy as well, here's some of the other Kids I have. Samsnead - let's see some of those beauties.
MM993, dude, this is too freaky. We both have tobacco sunburst Strats, black Charvels and Boogie combos. Not to mention a cherry sunburst Paul and ES-175 are on my shopping list.

If you had a silver '95 coupe or vintage BC Rich, I'd think you were my evil twin.
Old 02-15-2008, 05:23 PM
MM993
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[QUOTE=Marlon;5107471]
Business school was just the backup plan (good thing I went). I am also a tube guy (Mesa Boogie).

Wow - we got a lot of talent going on here. Mesa is a cool amp. I had a Mesa Lonestar Special 1X12, shoulda' kept it, but I started getting into single coils and I could not dial in a sound that I liked. It sounded awesome on the humbuckers though. I have a Peavey classic 50 4X10 and a 70's Fender Deluxe Reverb. Maybe I can post a pic of some of my stuff later...
MM993, dude, this is too freaky. We both have tobacco sunburst Strats, black Charvels and Boogie combos. Not to mention a cherry sunburst Paul and ES-175 are on my shopping list.

If you had a silver '95 coupe or vintage BC Rich, I'd think you were my evil twin.
Dean, this is scary, I want to get a vintage BC Rich, the RB. What year is the strat?

Mike
Old 02-15-2008, 05:47 PM
Levent
Advanced

Wow, lots of nice guitars you guys have. I just started collecting. So far: Taylor acoustic, Gibson ES335, Telecaster, Gibson 50W Goldtone tube amp (90 lb monster). Nowadays I spend more time on the new Ducati 848 than playing. No time to ride the 993, so sad.

Quick Reply: What is your other hobby other than your 993